The Near-Future of Mobile Gaming Is Going to Be Pretty Epic

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904226 said:
Dude, the original DS (which debuted at $150) and the original iPad (which debuted at $500+) both sold 500,000 units over the first week.

You're so ignorant it's embarrassing.

Since launch, the iPad has killed all DS systems in sales, both in the US and worldwide.

Dude, the Ipad had MAYBE 15 million wordwide unites sold, the DS has averaged over 5 million more per year over the last 5 years.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904280 said:
Oh, I see, so 5 million per year over 5 years is totally better than 15 million in the first year and 30-40 million in the second year.

What the?

Oh, now where just going by what Mac SAYS they'll sell, not what they actually sale.

You always try to change the argument when you're proven to have said something completely factually wrong.

I'm still waiting to hear how there are going to be 5 Billion tablets sold in the US and 15 billion worldwide over the next 5 years.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904272 said:
Dude, the Ipad had MAYBE 15 million wordwide unites sold, the DS has averaged over 5 million more per year over the last 5 years.
The iPad sold 15 million units in the first 9 months. It will have sold 45 to 55 million over the first 21 months. It took all DS systems combined three years to match those sales.

Reaction score
theogt;3904252 said:
I don't think we need to wait. Mobile gaming on smart phones and tablets already exceeds dedicated handhelds and the market share of dedicated handhelds is declining rapidly. I don't think dedicated handhelds will exist 5 years from now.

My argument isn't dependent on Apple. It's all mobile devices, including Android. I have no irrational allegiance to any one particular manufacturer.

What does this even mean? I know you're not actually trying to say that you believe that the revenue from games on mobile devices has exceeded that from software on the DS or PSP.....

All Nintendo has to do is release a new Zelda game on the 3DS and it will take 20 dumps on Angry Birds, and every other mobile game in sales revenue.

P.S. People don't buy Ipads specifically to play games on them. If all the Ipad did was play games then we'd be having a real discussion, because in that case the Ipad wouldn't be selling at all, and it would be even more obvious that it's not a serious gaming device. As it is, people buy them for a myriad of uses and some of those people play little cheap gimmick games on them on the subway.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904292 said:
The iPad sold 15 million units in the first 9 months. It will have sold 45 to 55 million over the first 21 months. It took all DS systems combined three years to match those sales.

First, April to March is eleven months, not 9.
Second, there you go again using Macs bold hopes and dreams as actual facts.
Third, I see you keep avoiding answering that question about the billions of tablets that will be sold.

Your tactics are always the same.

1. Make some ridiculous comment
2. Get refuted handily
3. Try and change the argument or act like you didn't say what you said by using lame semantic arguments.
4. Try to blame others for not understanding your constant argument changes and backtracking.
5. Ignore everything else you said that is too ridiculous for even you to try and lawyer your way out of.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904393 said:
First, April to March is eleven months, not 9.
Second, there you go again using Macs bold hopes and dreams as actual facts.
Third, I see you keep avoiding answering that question about the billions of tablets that will be sold.

Your tactics are always the same.

1. Make some ridiculous comment
2. Get refuted handily
3. Try and change the argument or act like you didn't say what you said by using lame semantic arguments.
4. Try to blame others for not understanding your constant argument changes and backtracking.
5. Ignore everything else you said that is too ridiculous for even you to try and lawyer your way out of.
Ignorance. You're afflicted with it.

April to December 25, 2010:

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312510238044/d10k.htm

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312511010144/d10q.htm

14.8 million iPad units sold.

Apple does not make projections of their sales. Wall Street analysts make projections of Apple sales.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
geez, gaming fanboy war. I get enough of that over on neogaf.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904396 said:
Ignorance. You're afflicted with it.

April to December 25, 2010:

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312510238044/d10k.htm

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/320193/000119312511010144/d10q.htm

14.8 million iPad units sold.

Apple does not make projections of their sales. Wall Street analysts make projections of Apple sales.

According to Apple, the Ipad sold a little over 15 million at the time of the Ipad 2's release in March. That's 11 months.

And if it's analysts projections, the point is the same, it's just somebodies guess. Analysts are wrong on these types of things so often it's hilarious for someone to bring their projections up as some sort of factual evidence.

And of course, you still ignore your statement indicating so many billion tablets are going to be sold.

You've been proven totally wrong on your statements about the DS having a small market, you should just quit making such foolish statements all the time so you don't look so ridiculous.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904423 said:
According to Apple, the Ipad sold a little over 15 million at the time of the Ipad 2's release in March. That's 11 months.

And if it's analysts projections, the point is the same, it's just somebodies guess. Analysts are wrong on these types of things so often it's hilarious for someone to bring their projections up as some sort of factual evidence.

And of course, you still ignore your statement indicating so many billion tablets are going to be sold.

You've been proven totally wrong on your statements about the DS having a small market, you should just quit making such foolish statements all the time so you don't look so ridiculous.
Wrong.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904523 said:
Keep fooling yourself if that's what you want.
Find some plaintiff's lawyers and sue Apple for lying in their financial statements in their SEC filings. Let me know how it works out for you.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
*sigh*

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/02ipad.html

“With more than 15 million iPads sold, iPad has defined an entirely new category of mobile devices,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO.

This is from the Ipad 2 announcement on 3/2/11. If it was more than 15.5 million, they would have said nearly 16 million, so it stands to reason that it's just over 15 million.

Are you going to argue apple.com and Steve Jobs aren't reliable sources?

Of course, none of this has anything to do with your still foolish assertions that Nintendo or handheld game devices are a tiny market, and that tablets will sell nearly 15 billion worldwide in the next 5 years.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904566 said:
*sigh*

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/02ipad.html

This is from the Ipad 2 announcement on 3/2/11. If it was more than 15.5 million, they would have said nearly 16 million, so it stands to reason that it's just over 15 million.

Are you going to argue apple.com and Steve Jobs aren't reliable sources?

Of course, none of this has anything to do with your still foolish assertion that Nintendo or handheld game devices are a tiny market, and that tablets will sell nearly 15 billion worldwide in the next 5 years.
What do "more than" mean? That information was already public. If they announced a higher number, it would have meant releasing non-public information.

According to a legal filing by Apple, for which they are liable under federal securities laws, 14.8 million iPads were sold from April 2010 to December 25, 2010. Nine months there pal. Nine. Not 11. Nine.

It took Nintendo nearly twice that long to sell as many DS devices. Yet, somehow, you think Nintendo "eclipsed" (YOUR words) the iPad.

Ignorance. It's dripping off your clothes.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904573 said:
What do "more than" mean? That information was already public. If they announced a higher number, it would have meant releasing non-public information.

According to a legal filing by Apple, for which they are liable under federal securities laws, 14.8 million iPads were sold from April 2010 to December 25, 2010. Nine months there pal. Nine. Not 11. Nine.

It took Nintendo nearly twice that long to sell as many DS devices. Yet, somehow, you think Nintendo "eclipsed" (YOUR words) the iPad.

Ignorance. It's dripping off your clothes.

14.8 million is not MORE than 15 million just so you know, so I guess they were still releasing non public information.

Way to make a big deal about that "more" even when I addressed that.

And if you mean that 9 x 2 is just about equal to 13, then I can now see why you're so confused about things. Your math is terrible. And how about those billions of tablets? Still waiting...

Are you aware of all the shortages of DS that were around that first year it was out? It's no coincidence that once the DS Lite came about and the shortages ended that sales took off, and between 2007-2009 averaged around 30 million a year.

Reaction score
You keep implying that people are buying ipads to play games. They're not. You can keep trying to compare apples to oranges if you want, but you are not even trying to refute my points any more so I will just move on. :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904582 said:
14.8 million is not MORE than 15 million just so you know, so I guess they were still releasing non public information.

Way to make a big deal about that "more" even when I addressed that.
It's actually not non-public information if you say that you've sold more than 15 million three months after you've told people that you've already sold 15 million several months before.

And if you mean that 9 x 2 is just about equal to 13, then I can now see why you're so confused about things. Your math is terrible. And how about those billions of tablets? Still waiting...
Actually, my math is pretty close. It took 17 months to hit 16.7 million and Apple 9 months to hit 14.8 million. That's 1.7 million per month for the iPad and 1.0 million per month. I said "nearly twice as long" which is correct.

Having nearly half as many sales is quite a long way from "eclipsing" them, don't you think?

Joshmvii;3904583 said:
You keep implying that people are buying ipads to play games. They're not. You can keep trying to compare apples to oranges if you want, but you are not even trying to refute my points any more so I will just move on. :laugh2:
I don't have to compare apples to oranges, I already know that more people game on smartphones and tablets than dedicated devices.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3904713 said:
It's actually not non-public information if you say that you've sold more than 15 million three months after you've told people that you've already sold 15 million several months before.

Actually, my math is pretty close. It took 17 months to hit 16.7 million and Apple 9 months to hit 14.8 million. That's 1.7 million per month for the iPad and 1.0 million per month. I said "nearly twice as long" which is correct.

Having nearly half as many sales is quite a long way from "eclipsing" them, don't you think?

I don't have to compare apples to oranges, I already know that more people game on smartphones and tablets than dedicated devices.

You do realize that 14.8 million is not 15 million right? You do realize that apple can release information it hasn't previously released right?

You do realize I never said the DS had higher sales it's first year right?

You do realize that 16.7 is nearly 2 million more than 14.8 right? So your 17 months is again, using poor math. You realize that Ipad sales would drop dramatically in the first qtr of 2011 compared to the 4th qtr of 2010 right? No holiday and all. You do realize that right? That will throw off your per month stats just a wee bit if you discount that. I was wrong though, not 13 months, but 14 months puts the DS at that level. You do realize the DS had shortages right?

You do realize there is a difference between playing games, and gaming right?

You do realize you are still ignoring your billions and billions estimate for tablets right?

You do realize that saying something which has sold over 50 million units in the US and approaching 150 million worldwide makes up substantially more than a tiny market right?

You do realize you've made yourself look like a fool yet again right?

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
theogt;3904713 said:

Except the "gaming" they do is play scrabble or angry birds or whatever $3.99 app happens to be hot. I don't know why people bother to compare smartphones to things like the DS or PSP. The devices deliver totally different experiences.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3904796 said:
You do realize that 14.8 million is not 15 million right? You do realize that apple can release information it hasn't previously released right?

You do realize I never said the DS had higher sales it's first year right?

You do realize that 16.7 is nearly 2 million more than 14.8 right? So your 17 months is again, using poor math. You realize that Ipad sales would drop dramatically in the first qtr of 2011 compared to the 4th qtr of 2010 right? No holiday and all. You do realize that right? That will throw off your per month stats just a wee bit if you discount that. I was wrong though, not 13 months, but 14 months puts the DS at that level. You do realize the DS had shortages right?

You do realize there is a difference between playing games, and gaming right?

You do realize you are still ignoring your billions and billions estimate for tablets right?

You do realize that saying something which has sold over 50 million units in the US and approaching 150 million worldwide makes up substantially more than a tiny market right?

You do realize you've made yourself look like a fool yet again right?
iPad - 1.7 million per month over the first 9 months.
Nintendo DS - 1.0 million per month over the first 17 months.

Now show me where the DS "eclipsed" the iPad in sales.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DIAF;3904804 said:
Except the "gaming" they do is play scrabble or angry birds or whatever $3.99 app happens to be hot. I don't know why people bother to compare smartphones to things like the DS or PSP. The devices deliver totally different experiences.
You're right, they're not comparable. One is a mainstream device that is becoming synonymous with mobile gaming and the other is a dying breed that only ever thrived in a niche market.