The nerve is officially firing***merged***

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
He was probably still wearing it.

But it's a gradual thing, it could have fired a while back but the toes just now got movement.

Anywho, toes are a good sign. I know Doc made a post, but I'm still waiting on my PT buddy. I'm pretty sure this means he's going to be good to go this season tho

Jerry at the pre-draft presser said it has been progressing steadily the last 6 months and now he has feeling in those toes and can lift the foot.

Jerry said it is not a given that he will play with a brace if things continue to go as they are right now.

He said it has progressed significantly the last 3 weeks and that is why they think by camp he may be full go but he can not know for sure until that time.

Jerry:

“His doctors are very encouraged, which is the one that I spend the most credibility to,” Jones said. “They are very excited about his feelings, about his feelings in his foot area. He’s lifting those toes.”

“Not as much as it was by a significant degree three weeks ago. Not as much as it was in relation to three weeks ago as it was three weeks before that or three weeks before that,” Jones said. “And don’t make it a given that he’s going to have the brace on … I’m just telling you what I do see, his arrow is going up.”

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Based on the available information I'm guessing he had axonotmesis, which given he now can move the muscles on his own is wonderful news.

He'll re-gain 100% form, and it absolutely can happen by TC.

Pop the champagne

Yup, once I saw his surgeon said the nerve exterior was intact I felt bullish on his prognosis.

QT

Reaction score
This reminds me of the days when I use to follow Mike Sherrard's broken leg. Too bad there wasn't twitter to follow #Sherrard's Leg back in the day....

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
If he can move his toes and FEEL them he's doing great. The nerve just needs to get fatter (it does this automatically) to get full feeling back. That's how mine worked when it happened to me.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm of the mind of ...show me, don't tell me because I have been told both versions (it is or is not firing) too many times now.

We will find out as the season goes along.

Boy, what a wet blanket you are,,, and a MOD! Next thing you'll tell me is that your a safety inspector or something, no fun. :cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He was probably still wearing it.

But it's a gradual thing, it could have fired a while back but the toes just now got movement.

Anywho, toes are a good sign. I know Doc made a post, but I'm still waiting on my PT buddy. I'm pretty sure this means he's going to be good to go this season tho

Last July in TC he was wearing a Richie Dynamic Assist brace that was spring loaded to kick the foot up on the upswing of the gait.

By the end of the year he had moved to one of the semi rigid braces without the spring load. It's molded plastic and those things go way up the calf and are easy to see. Have to give credit to @CalPolyTechnique for finding that still.

Sometime between the end of the year and March he moved to a heavy tape job. You can tell that he is not wearing the semirigid because the tape ends well below the calf muscle where the brace would strap.

In newest offseason conditioning pics he is still going with the tape job. When practice starts again I am interested to see what he is wearing.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm excited to hear this. It's like getting a top ten pick in the draft for this defense without having to trade up.

It also helps that Jaylon is an extremely easy person to root for. This kid had worked so hard to get to this point, great things have to start happening for him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He was probably correct then and correct now. Sounds like a lot has happened in the last few weeks.

Good point. And the fact the season is still several months away means Smith could be 100 percent by then. If he becomes the player every scout thought he'd be, the 2016 Cowboys draft could go down as one of the best in not only Cowboys history, but NFL history.