The nerve is officially firing***merged***

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't have to do better than an ideal. You just have to do better than the competition. If he starts then we are doing better than most. You stack that up and you end up with a winning football team.

As for alternatives, Jack had similar issues and is a worse long term risk. Howard was okay for the Vikings. Spence was not even on the board and with Gregory considered I can hardly blame them. Ragland? Reed?

The question wasn't how to beat the market for a 2nd round pick. The question was how to justify the specific player. None of the use cases where the pick busts justifies a section, by definition, so we're now only looking at the cases where the pick doesn't bust. Of the picks that don't bust, some, but not all, play all four years. So he Jaylon misses a year and plays a year compromised, he's got work to do to make up for the missed/diminished time. That was my original point.

I rethought it a bit and decided if he performs at about the median for those 2nd round picks that don't bust, we're probably getting our pick's worth, which is why I countered with the 2-year-starter bit. But that still doesn't account for the risk we took that the guy might never play at all. It's great that that's not the way it looks like it worked out, and we probably had a better idea than most that that's how it might go down, but we still took that risk, which means we probably should have expected a commensurate return over and above what you'd normally expect for the #34 overall.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The question wasn't how to beat the market for a 2nd round pick. The question was how to justify the specific player. None of the use cases where the pick busts justifies a section, by definition, so we're now only looking at the cases where the pick doesn't bust. Of the picks that don't bust, some, but not all, play all four years. So he Jaylon misses a year and plays a year compromised, he's got work to do to make up for the missed/diminished time. That was my original point.

I rethought it a bit and decided if he performs at about the median for those 2nd round picks that don't bust, we're probably getting our pick's worth, which is why I countered with the 2-year-starter bit. But that still doesn't account for the risk we took that the guy might never play at all. It's great that that's not the way it looks like it worked out, and we probably had a better idea than most that that's how it might go down, but we still took that risk, which means we probably should have expected a commensurate return over and above what you'd normally expect for the #34 overall.

The statistical return for a 2nd round pick is 55% to get a multiyear starter in the LB position.
That does not necessary mean a starter in the rookie year.
What that means is winning on Lee justifies 2-3 2nd round picks.

If we just get a starter for at least 2 years, we have likely won the bet.
The upside is a near-complete recovery.
In which case, we are getting a top-5 pick return on pick 34.
As stated above, if he is a starter for 2 years, we already won the bet.
If he is marginal probowler, it is a homerun.
If he is a generational LB, we got 2 grand-slams last year, though Dak is a bigger grand slam.
Zeke is #4 pick so he does not count as a grand-slam.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're a troll that just didn't like seeing someone call Dez a bum. Making it your personal vendetta to troll me won't make Dez any less of a bum so go away. You do you and I'll do me... troll.
The guy who said Dez was a bum and spends his whole day trolling on CZ as if he gets paid salary.......just called me a troll. I would be offended if it came from a reliable source but it's coming from.......TX star.......

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The statistical return for a 2nd round pick is 55% to get a multiyear starter in the LB position.
That does not necessary mean a starter in the rookie year.
What that means is winning on Lee justifies 2-3 2nd round picks.

If we just get a starter for at least 2 years, we have likely won the bet.
The upside is a near-complete recovery.
In which case, we are getting a top-5 pick return on pick 34.
As stated above, if he is a starter for 2 years, we already won the bet.
If he is marginal probowler, it is a homerun.
If he is a generational LB, we got 2 grand-slams last year, though Dak is a bigger grand slam.
Zeke is #4 pick so he does not count as a grand-slam.
:thumbup:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The guy who said Dez was a bum and spends his whole day trolling on CZ as if he gets paid salary.......just called me a troll. I would be offended if it came from a reliable source but it's coming from.......TX star.......
If that's what I belief then what's wrong with me saying it? Do I have to like all the same players you like to make you happy?

Verdict

Reaction score
Again, there is no increased risk when playing him with possibly a slight peroneal palsy. Neither the nerve, knee, leg, foot, or toes are in any jeopardy.

BTW, the peroneal nerve controls dorsiflexion of the foot and toes; therefore, the toes don't regain strength and function before the more proximal innervation of the foot does. Again, this has nothing to do with his push-off strength and function, which is approximately 90% of his leg work.

His mindset and work ethic have been exemplary. He'll be worth the pick this year, even as he learns the system; he'll exceed it in 2018.

I realize that him using the leg, and muscles will not cause injury.. What I am concerned is that whatever physical limitations he may have, however slight, might cause him to end up in a slightly awkward position causing injury.