The nerve is officially firing***merged***

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Remains to be seen. He had all-pro ability as a prospect before the injury. I do like his potential if he returns to form. Who wouldn't?

I still hated that pick because I can't get past the fact we needed so much defensive help last season and got nothing for the year with the #4 and the #34 combined. As it stands, he comes in, plays well this year, perhaps becomes an impact player for a year or two, and then is on the free market. If we get a hometown discount at that point, it's all good. But I don't expect to get a hometown discount at that point. Which makes it another unnecessary risk.

Just one more pressure or one more PBU and maybe we win that GB game. After that, who knows what would have happened in 2016? This league is about avoiding mistakes more than it is wildcatting and getting lucky.
They still have Jaylon's rights for four years. This past season was not an accrued season because he was on NFI/IR.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
At what point does Jaylon justify his draft selection? If he contributes this season but is roughly average then has a good year next year, is that enough? If he doesn't play this year but has two pretty good seasons in 2018 and 2019, is that enough?

Does he have to have a large impact this season to justify the second round pick/redshirt year?

If he is a solid starter he is worth a second round pick.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yup heard the same thing about Zeke last year. hasnt played a down in the NFL. We dont know what to expect. Sorry to tell you. When you are the BEST at your position. And you recover from an injury. chances are you will reach your potential. I didnt realize you were the cowboys doctor. This is my last message to you because you keep arguing your point and its getting irritating. IF Jaylon Smith gets back to college form. In 2017. Chances of him making the pro bowl. Is that a big if. yes. However we are talking about a generational talent here. Not Bobby Carpenter

You bring up an interesting point. But I heard different then what you are claiming. I didnt hear anyone say Zeke wouldnt make the biggest impact as a rookie. But I did hear that we should pick Zeke because first year defensive players dont make big impacts. So what about first year defensive players, out of football for a year with drop foot not fully healed yet? Why has it suddenly changed?

Love Jaylon, but to think he will make a big impact this year is over the top based on the fact that he is just starting to be able to move his toes.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Per Article 8, Section 1 of the CBA, a player who spends the season on the NFI list like Smith did, does not accrue a season. There was confusion during the year when the Cowboys opened the three-week window in case Smith was ready to play. Some thought this, combined with Smith receiving full pay for the season, qualified 2016 as an accrued season, but that was not the case.
Per former agent Joel Corry, nothing changed about his status as he never made it onto the Cowboys 53-man roster.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...toll-restricted-ufa-rfa-erfa-rolando-mcclain/

waldoputty

Reaction score

Per Article 8, Section 1 of the CBA, a player who spends the season on the NFI list like Smith did, does not accrue a season. There was confusion during the year when the Cowboys opened the three-week window in case Smith was ready to play. Some thought this, combined with Smith receiving full pay for the season, qualified 2016 as an accrued season, but that was not the case.
Per former agent Joel Corry, nothing changed about his status as he never made it onto the Cowboys 53-man roster.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...toll-restricted-ufa-rfa-erfa-rolando-mcclain/

i thought the fact that he was paid meant that he accrued a year?
thanks!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If he is a solid starter he is worth a second round pick.

I have to disagree here. If Jaylon Smith becomes a solid starter after all the hype and having to wait a year, then I would consider the pick to be a bust. So he is going to be solid starter for 2 years or so and then not get renewed? That would be a big disappointment to me.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's got to deliver four years' value in three years. And won't be 100% most of this season, probably. Not to mention we really could have used another quality defensive play in that playoff game last year.

I'd say he's got a ways to go to justify that pick.

I don't see that as reasonable considering the average 2nd rounder doesn't even start nor makes it to a second contract. Hit rates drop below 50% after the first round. Not to mention they get hurt and miss time too.

He just has to be worth a second contract to be ahead of the curve.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
I find it hilarious how upset certain guys on here are getting about Jaylon's nerve firing ...... shows how important it was for them to be right instead of whats best for the team.

Couldnt agree more. No ones saying hes gona be a probowler off the bat. But trying to "minimize" he can now lift his toes is ridiculous . without getting too technical about all this, for me a foot does 3 things: moves up and down + toe movement. Boring but important

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
what-you-talkin-bout-willis-quote-1.jpg

People would constantly come up with reasons why he might fail. Even you, a champion of said cause, are singing a different tune.

I'm not calling you out on that btw. Changing your stance given new information is a sign of reason.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You bring up an interesting point. But I heard different then what you are claiming. I didnt hear anyone say Zeke wouldnt make the biggest impact as a rookie. But I did hear that we should pick Zeke because first year defensive players dont make big impacts. So what about first year defensive players, out of football for a year with drop foot not fully healed yet? Why has it suddenly changed?

Love Jaylon, but to think he will make a big impact this year is over the top based on the fact that he is just starting to be able to move his toes.
How about the fact he came out last season and said hes been studying with Sean Lee basically since he got there. Hes got a great mind, that is the biggest hurdle other than learning the speed of the game at the next level for rookies especially defensive players. If his mind is right which no one can debate it isnt, and he has the knowledge already installed by our on the field general. Hes already halfway there.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a "slightly" related note.

All through the years I have marveled of how good Randy White looks. Heck a few pictures about 5-10 years ago I was amazed. But wow..time catches up to everyone sooner or later. Or maybe those glasses are making it look worse.

FiveTime

Reaction score

So he is under a four year contract and was paid in 2016 but did not accrue a year toward free agency. That seems good for Dallas. My question is how is his salary determined in 2020, year five, when he is still not a free agent but wasn't included in the contract? There has to be a process outlined for a situation like this.

FiveTime

Reaction score
On a "slightly" related note.

All through the years I have marveled of how good Randy White looks. Heck a few pictures about 5-10 years ago I was amazed. But wow..time catches up to everyone sooner or later. Or maybe those glasses are making it look worse.

The Manster kind of resembles a much beefier Colonel Sanders in that pic.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So he is under a four year contract and was paid in 2016 but did not accrue a year toward free agency. That seems good for Dallas. My question is how is his salary determined in 2020, year five, when he is still not a free agent but wasn't included in the contract? There has to be a process outlined for a situation like this.
I'm totally guessing here but I think the league sees it the same as Rico Gathers receiving a full years salary on the practice squad.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

I thought he was moved from NFI to IR last season? FWIW, spotrac and OTC both have Jaylon as a FA in 2020 (with 2016 being the first of his four-year contract).