The nerve is officially firing***merged***

lukin2006

Reaction score
So what, Sean Lee is still the general out there and now we will also have Jaylon. And I'm looking forward to seeing how much better Nacho, Wilber and Hitchens can be.

Sean Lee is not much good if he is not on the field, and he has trouble staying healthy, just being realistic, and it's yet to be determined if Smith will be the same after this injury.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sean Lee is not much good if he is not on the field, and he has trouble staying healthy, just being realistic, and it's yet to be determined if Smith will be the same after this injury.
Sean Lee isn't hurt and Jaylon is doing just fine. We don't need to use a draft pick on a LB. We have greater needs elsewhere.

waldoputty

Reaction score
anything new on the nerve today?

Progress appears to be compared '3 weeks at a time'...

Jones acknowledged that Smith is still dealing with that issue as it stands right now – though not in the same capacity as he has in the past. “Not as much as it was by a significant degree three weeks ago. Not as much as it was in relation to three weeks ago as it was three weeks before that or three weeks before that,” Jones said. “And don’t make it a given that he’s going to have the brace on … I’m just telling you what I do see, his arrow is going up.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ged-jaylon-smiths-continued-progress-recovery

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is really the first news that I view as really positive in relation to Smith's recovery.

I doubt anyone noticed but I've barely even been in any of the Jaylon Smith threads at all. If I even commented, it was likely just goofing around and not actually addressing the situation. I stayed away because, well... nobody really knew what was going to happen. I saw no reason for pessimism or optimism particularly (although I'm an optimist by nature). So, I saw no reason to debate one way or another on the subject.

I pretty much just crossed my fingers and hoped for it to work out. Lord knows the guy deserves to have a good NFL career. Terrific person. Terrific attitude. Terrific work ethic in trying to come back.

This news though, is real news. Something we can sink our teeth into and it is very, very good news indeed.

If he's moving his toes, that tells me that the nerve regeneration has already moved through the foot and is nearing the end of its journey (at the toes). My understanding is that the nerve heals, regenerates, fires or whatever you want to call it, from the knee first and then slowly down through the ankle and foot, and then finally down to the toes.

Again, my understanding is that the real danger of spending a second round pick on him was that the nerve might never regenerate, leaving him permanently with drop foot. Since the nerve is obviously healing and he is regaining movement and feeling in the afflicted area, it seems to be confirmation that the worst fears aren't true and that it's only a matter of time before he's pretty much back to normal.

What is probably most encouraging to me is the team confirming that the healing (or noticeable healing) has significantly sped up in recent weeks. Having a marked improvement over the last three weeks bodes very well for his ability to play without a brace this season, in my non-professional opinion.

So, while there are still hurdles to clear, the giant one that worried people the most, seems to have been successfully navigated. He still hasn't played football in over a year but he hasn't been away from the team... he's been in every meeting and has been picking the brain of Sean Lee, the coaches, etc. and is sure to have a firm grasp of the scheme and what will be required of him. And while he hasn't played, he has been rehabbing and working out like a mad man. He is in shape and ready to get back in football shape.

Overall, this is huge for him and for the Dallas defense.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
This is really the first news that I view as really positive in relation to Smith's recovery.

I doubt anyone noticed but I've barely even been in all of the Jaylon Smith threads at all. If I even commented, it was likely just goofing around and not actually addressing the situation. I stayed away because, well... nobody really knew what was going to happen. I saw no reason for pessimism or optimism particularly (although I'm an optimist by nature). So, I saw no reason to debate one way or another on the subject.

I pretty much just crossed my fingers and hoped for it to work out. Lord knows the guy deserves to have a good NFL career. Terrific person. Terrific attitude. Terrific work ethic in trying to come back.

This news though, is real news. Something we can sink our teeth into and it is very, very good news indeed.

If he's moving his toes, that tells me that the nerve regeneration has already moved through the foot and is nearing the end of its journey (at the toes). My understanding is that the nerve heals, regenerates, fires or whatever you want to call it, from the knee first and then slowly down through the ankle and foot, and then finally down to the toes.

Again, my understanding is that the real danger of spending a second round pick on him was that the nerve might never regenerate, leaving him permanently with drop foot. Since the nerve is obviously healing and he is regaining movement and feeling in the afflicted area, it seems to be confirmation that the worst fears aren't true and that it's only a matter of time before he's pretty much back to normal.

What is probably most encouraging to me is the team confirming that the healing (or noticeable healing) has significantly sped up in recent weeks. Having a marked improvement over the last three weeks bodes very well for his ability to play without a brace this season, in my non-professional opinion.

So, while there are still hurdles to clear, the giant one that worried people the most, seems to have been successfully navigated. He still hasn't played football in over a year but he hasn't been away from the team... he's been in every meeting and has been picking the brain of Sean Lee, the coaches, etc. and is sure to have a firm grasp of the scheme and what will be required of him. And while he hasn't played, he has been rehabbing and working out like a mad man. He is in shape and ready to get back in football shape.

Amazing post, Asthma. As always when you want to :D (Sidenote: I had noticed you usually jested in the Jaylon threads lol.)

If he comes back fully functional, he will have missed the equivalent time as that of a player with a year injury (ACL, MCL, achilles, broken bone in leg etc). It really wouldn't be this long hiatus from football like it feels.

That's assuming he's going to play this season, and everything that's been released -- even before the toe news -- has stated he would play.

Football shape, behbei!!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Amazing post, Asthma. As always when you want to :D (Sidenote: I had noticed you usually jested in the Jaylon threads lol.)

If he comes back fully functional, he will have missed the equivalent time as that of a player with a year injury (ACL, MCL, achilles, broken bone in leg etc). It really wouldn't be this long hiatus from football like it feels.

That's assuming he's going to play this season, and everything that's been released -- even before the toe news -- has stated he would play.

Football shape, behbei!!

thanks man. Yeah, I tend to let my sense of humor get the best of me sometimes. I understood the injury and what needed to happen... I just didn't want to sit and speculate in 50 different threads about if it would or wouldn't happen. I understand why many people did want to but it just wasn't my cup of tea I suppose. I'd rather talk about potential draft prospects, free agents, etc.

Anyway, I know some will say they've known for months that the nerve was regenerating successfully... but speaking for myself, this news is the first bit that I feel is pretty concrete about a successful recovery. And what great news it is!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If that's what I belief then what's wrong with me saying it? Do I have to like all the same players you like to make you happy?

You don't have to like scything. But you should br able to admit you may be biased in your hate for Dez. I don't like ODB but I can admit he's a savage on the field.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score

I doubt anyone noticed but I've barely even been in any of the Jaylon Smith threads at all. If I even commented, it was likely just goofing around and not actually addressing the situation. I stayed away because, well... nobody really knew what was going to happen. I saw no reason for pessimism or optimism particularly (although I'm an optimist by nature). So, I saw no reason to debate one way or another on the subject.

You don't need to be an expert. Thankfully, we have several quasi-doctors here who post still shots and videos as proof to whether or not his nerve is firing, regenerating, doing DNA replication, or curing cancer. Just wait, someone will come along and offer grainy still shots showing this. You will become an expert in no time.

coult44

Reaction score

Where were you at this year??? How much time did Lee miss this year?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You don't need to be an expert. Thankfully, we have several quasi-doctors here who post still shots and videos as proof to whether or not his nerve is firing, regenerating, doing DNA replication, or curing cancer. Just wait, someone will come along and offer grainy still shots showing this. You will become an expert in no time.

Quasi my ***. I have repeatedly stated I have no professional experience with medicine. All I see is someone who cannot give credit where it is due and just face up to the fact that I was right. These passive aggressive posts are completely classless.

It was a still of him jumping not his MRI. You don't need high resolution to see the orientation of a foot or to see if someone has their calf strapped with a brace.

I did the best that I could with the information available to us. All you do is take pot shots and criticize.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Okay, I admit I'm biased against Dez because he underperforms and is overpaid. :thumbup:
FAir enough. I disagree but there's at least a argument to be made for that viewpoint. There isn't one to made for him being a "bum" however. But they need far more than what they got last season from him. No questions asked.

Bohuntr97

Reaction score
How many of us knew what these terms mean in 2015?
1. dorsiflex
2. peroneal
3. palsy
4. eversion
5. AFO

:muttley:

I've heard of palsey but it normally came with "cerebral" in front of it, didn't know it could extend to the lower region of the body. I guess I will keep my day job.

Edit that I'm not trying to make light of a serious desease either.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So he is under a four year contract and was paid in 2016 but did not accrue a year toward free agency. That seems good for Dallas. My question is how is his salary determined in 2020, year five, when he is still not a free agent but wasn't included in the contract? There has to be a process outlined for a situation like this.

He will be a RFA.