The nerve is officially firing***merged***

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see that as reasonable considering the average 2nd rounder doesn't even start nor makes it to a second contract. Hit rates drop below 50% after the first round. Not to mention they get hurt and miss time too.

He just has to be worth a second contract to be ahead of the curve.

Lots of average 2nd rounders don't justify their draft selections, though. The hurdle isn't for being an average pick. The hurdle is for justifying his selection.

At the end of the day, if he ends up a two year starter, I suppose I should consider that a hit for a #34 pick, but that's pretty tough to swallow given the talent that was still on the board and given that we'd just spent the #4 overall on a player who wasn't a defender.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Lots of average 2nd rounders don't justify their draft selections, though. The hurdle isn't for being an average pick. The hurdle is for justifying his selection.

At the end of the day, if he ends up a two year starter, I suppose I should consider that a hit for a #34 pick, but that's pretty tough to swallow given the talent that was still on the board and given that we'd just spent the #4 overall on a player who wasn't a defender.
I don't think you will need to swallow that. But crow....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They still have Jaylon's rights for four years. This past season was not an accrued season because he was on NFI/IR.

Is that true? That makes me feel a lot better, if that's the case. Thanks for the heads up.

ksg811

Reaction score
Jaylon will be an RFA after 2019. His contract will have run out, but will only have three accrued seasons. The threshold for UFA is 4 years.

diefree666

Reaction score
If he is a starter for us for three years then he has justified the normal #34 criteria. Not for him of course. For him it would be starting for 3 years plus we resign him to a second contract.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If he is a starter for us for three years then he has justified the normal #34 criteria. Not for him of course. For him it would be starting for 3 years plus we resign him to a second contract.

If the 4.4/4.5 speed @ 240lbs (or more) is no exaggeration, then he should be the best LB by the end of this year.
for comparison, lee runs a 4.71 and weighs 230 lbs.
even if he is not RDE/LEO during passing downs, he should be able to do a much better job covering TEs and shutting down the run than lee.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People would constantly come up with reasons why he might fail. Even you, a champion of said cause, are singing a different tune.

I'm not calling you out on that btw. Changing your stance given new information is a sign of reason.
I always wanted Jaylon to be healthy and succeed. I just didn't think it possible considering the extent of his injuries... and it was multiple injuries. Complete MCL/ACL torn and the nerve damage. Modern medical science is a miracle these days. I'm not ashamed to admit I leaned something.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

BREAKING: Jaylon now puts both socks on one-handed.

Jaylon now eats meals using his toes...
sweater-guy-eating-with-feet.jpg

Smashin222

Reaction score
I always wanted Jaylon to be healthy and succeed. I just didn't think it possible considering the extent of his injuries... and it was multiple injuries. Complete MCL/ACL torn and the nerve damage. Modern medical science is a miracle these days. I'm not ashamed to admit I leaned something.

I don't really have a pony in this race but there a lot of folks in this thread who look a bit childish.

This is the most impressive post in this thread. Others might be able to learn something from this gentleman.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You don't have to do better than an ideal. You just have to do better than the competition. If he starts then we are doing better than most. You stack that up and you end up with a winning football team.

As for alternatives, Jack had similar issues and is a worse long term risk. Howard was okay for the Vikings. Spence was not even on the board and with Gregory considered I can hardly blame them. Ragland? Reed?