The NFL's Official Change to What Is A Catch: Dez Bryant play rule rewritten *merge*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joefrl

Reaction score
And where was the language about being upright long enough in 2014? The people that right the rules are covering their *** and changed the rule to fit the overturn.

"Upright long enough" is the same as "Long enough to make a football move".

Joefrl

Reaction score
You do know the difference between a rule book and a case book right, old rules master?

Blindfaith leaves and his parrot returns...hmmmmm

And I know we all have access to same information, called Case Books.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hmmm, yes you can.

A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the goal line. When he lands in the end zone, the ball comes out. Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass is complete. When the receiver hits the ground in the end zone, it is the result of lunging forward after bracing himself at the three-yard line and is not part of the process of the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch, and A2 is down by contact.

This rule has nothing to do with the situation Dez was in. Its a good example to what i wrote.

This rule describes what has to happen (to be ruled by the judges) if he goes to the ground AFTER contact (forced by contact). It does not describe the situation of a player who goes down to the ground because of the catch/in the process of making the catch. I fact if you read the rule the right way it cleary trys to dissociate from the Dez' situation.

You cant take a rule that was never written for a situation in the game like Dez' and try to prove something. Like you dont use a rule that handles FG kicking to explain why the Dez catch was a catch or not also, do you ?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
You do know the difference between a rule book and a case book right, old rules master?

Blindfaith leaves and his parrot returns...hmmmmm

lol That was actually kind of funny. But there is only one of me. That's probably even too many for some.

And at least try using realistic examples to defend your position. Show me an example of some who falls and takes 20 steps before hitting the ground. But, if that person was falling and ends up on the ground, then yes, it would be incomplete.

Joefrl

Reaction score
This rule has nothing to do with the situation Dez was in. Its a good example to what i wrote.

This rule describes what has to happen (to be ruled by the judges) if he goes to the ground AFTER contact (forced by contact). It does not describe the situation of a player who goes down to the ground because of the catch/in the process of making the catch. I fact if you read the rule the right way it cleary trys to dissociate from the Dez' situation.

You cant take a rule that was never written for a situation in the game like Dez' and try to prove something. You dont use a FG rule to explain why the Dez catch was a catch or not also, do you ?

Hmmm, yes you can.

A.R. 8.12 GOING TO THE GROUND—COMPLETE PASS First-and-10-on B25. A1 throws a pass to A2 who controls the ball and gets one foot down before he is contacted by B1. He goes to the ground as a result of the contact, gets his second foot down, and with the ball in his right arm, he braces himself at the three-yard line with his left hand and simultaneously lunges forward toward the goal line. When he lands in the end zone, the ball comes out. Ruling: Touchdown Team A. Kickoff A35. The pass is complete. When the receiver hits the ground in the end zone, it is the result of lunging forward after bracing himself at the three-yard line and is not part of the process of the catch. Since the ball crossed the goal line, it is a touchdown. If the ball is short of the goal line, it is a catch, and A2 is down by contact.

Again, throw this one out. THERE WAS NO BRACE.

blindzebra

Reaction score

You cant take a rule that was never written for a situation in the game like Dez' and try to prove something. Like you dont use a rule that handles FG kicking to explain why the Dez catch was a catch or not also, do you ?

The rule reads with or without contact, so just go away, you bring nothing to the beat down I am giving these idiots.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Again, throw this one out. THERE WAS NO BRACE.

Again, turning, stepping, changing the ball from 2 hands to one, lunging, bracing, extending are not part of the catch process either.

The right arm down changed him landing at the 1 yard line to the one foot mark, it got him closer to the goal line, in other words it caused him to advance the ball.

blindzebra

Reaction score
lol That was actually kind of funny. But there is only one of me. That's probably even too many for some.

And at least try using realistic examples to defend your position. Show me an example of some who falls and takes 20 steps before hitting the ground. But, if that person was falling and ends up on the ground, then yes, it would be incomplete.

Not according to the new rule which you claim was not changed, clearly 20 steps must be upright long enough, right?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Well, either they are blind or don't know what "brace"means. As for myself, what I saw from my perspective, Dez crossed the goal line, then the ball popped up a little bit, it never touched the ground, and he still caught if for a possession. Catch...

And, for the record, I still would like to sucker punch Blandino right in his face!

Last edited by a moderator:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Wrong order, tripped by Shields then took a step, which was the first. The first two feet down are not steps.

Right...the first to feet down if in the field of play is ruled a catch. It's the "football move" that Blandino is trying to cover his butt for this wrong call.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Well, either they are blind or don't know what "brace"means. As for myself, what I saw from my perspective, Dez crossed the goal line, then the ball popped up a little bit, it never touched the ground, and he still caught if for a possession. Catch...

And, for the record, I still would like to sucker punch Blandino right in his face!

I would pay to see that :laugh:

Joefrl

Reaction score
I would pay to see that :laugh:

Now I know there is something wrong with your judgement! When he hit the ground the ball was clearly 2 feet short of the goal line, and the ball clearly hit the ground. I hope you never become a ref, because that type of bad call would be unacceptable.

Joefrl

Reaction score
Right...the first to feet down if in the field of play is ruled a catch. It's the "football move" that Blandino is trying to cover his butt for this wrong call.

The football move comes after 2 feet are down, which would be the first step if he hadn't already started falling.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Hey cool...name calling. Clearly the sign that someone is winning an arguement.

You never respond to the fact that the NFL Competition Committee completely disagrees with you. You are calling everyone of them idiots as well. You are calling the majority of knowledgeable fans idiots. Referees who actually call the games.

Pretty much everybody except the handful of Homers who simply can't except the facts or who aren't capable of understanding the rules.

You do get that right? I'm not going to call you names. There are some things that some people will just never get. Let's just put this to bed. You get a star for really, really trying and pointing a big fat light on how poorly the rule was written and how colossally inept Blandino is.

Joefrl

Reaction score
He extended a hand, sure. But extension only is not bracing. Touching the ground with ones hand is not bracing. That's all he did was touch the ground with his hand. It's an instinctive move to protect one's face.
When you brace you stop the fall, even if only for a very short time. He didn't slow up his fall at all.

Joefrl

Reaction score
Not according to the new rule which you claim was not changed, clearly 20 steps must be upright long enough, right?
When did he start to fall?
One could take steps after starting to fall, and those steps don't matter, no matter how many there are. One step before beginning to fall and viola, you are a runner!

Status
Not open for further replies.