The 'not so famous' movie quotes

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile;1547205 said:
I don't know about that. Sometimes you see a movie and it just moves you and it's hard to imagine something else being better, especially if you don't think the storyline is one you're interested in.
I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain" and as I said doubt I ever will. I do think it is over rated, because it's not a subject I am interested in. I can see why some people like it. I can understand why some don't and I can easily believe that it can be for a variety of reasons beyond homophobia. I didn't see "Bridges of Madison County" and think it is over rated for much the same reason I think "Brokeback Mountain" is. That doesn't make me right or wrong. It just means I am not into movies where someone is unfaithful to their spouse. I think celebrating that is wrong and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to see it.

That's just me, no one has to agree.

That's fine -- but to criticize on film specific areas - e.g., cinematography -- without having seen a film strikes me as overboard. Where is the basis for that comparison?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
abersonc;1547212 said:
That's fine -- but to criticize on film specific areas - e.g., cinematography -- without having seen a film strikes me as overboard. Where is the basis for that comparison?
Perhaps he read articles on it? I really don't know. I honestly didn't see any of the movies it was up against either. I just know that no praise given it would make me interested, same as "Bridges..."

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hostile;1547205 said:
I don't know about that. Sometimes you see a movie and it just moves you and it's hard to imagine something else being better, especially if you don't think the storyline is one you're interested in.
There's a difference in saying that "it's hard to imagine something else being better" than X, but to say X is definitively better than Y, without having seen Y, is just an uninformed opinion.

I haven't seen "Brokeback Mountain" and as I said doubt I ever will. I do think it is over rated, because it's not a subject I am interested in. I can see why some people like it. I can understand why some don't and I can easily believe that it can be for a variety of reasons beyond homophobia. I didn't see "Bridges of Madison County" and think it is over rated for much the same reason I think "Brokeback Mountain" is. That doesn't make me right or wrong. It just means I am not into movies where someone is unfaithful to their spouse. I think celebrating that is wrong and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to see it.
I haven't seen it either. I can say I have little interest in seeing it for a myriad of reasons, but I'm not going to call it overrated, because I haven't "rated" it myself.

Until I have some frame of reference to compare to others' opinions of it, I don't see why I would. It's not like my opinion of it being overrated is going to mean anything.

And Ab's right, there were specific elements of the movie being criticized. That opinion would be even less informed if one hadn't seen the movie.

All that said, some things burm has said imply he's seen it, but he hasn't come out and said it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile;1547222 said:
Perhaps he read articles on it? I really don't know. I honestly didn't see any of the movies it was up against either. I just know that no praise given it would make me interested, same as "Bridges..."

But note how others in the thread are upfront about their evaluations -- making clear that is based on what they heard about the film.

Timbo2st

Benched
Reaction score
Patton

Translator: The general would like to know if you will drink a toast with him.
Patton: Thank the general and tell him I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a *****.
Translator: [Nervous] I can't tell him that!
Patton: Tell him, every word.
Translator: [In Russian] He says he will not drink with you or any Russian son of a *****.
Russian general: [In Russian] Tell him he is a son of a *****, too. Now!
Translator: [Very nervous] He says he thinks you are a son of a *****, too.
Patton: [Laughing] All right. All right, tell him I'll drink to that; one son of a ***** to another.

Colors

Bob Hodges: [to his new partner] There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and **** one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and **** 'em all".

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Timbo2st;1547245 said:
Patton

Translator: The general would like to know if you will drink a toast with him.
Patton: Thank the general and tell him I have no desire to drink with him or any other Russian son of a *****.
Translator: [Nervous] I can't tell him that!
Patton: Tell him, every word.
Translator: [In Russian] He says he will not drink with you or any Russian son of a *****.
Russian general: [In Russian] Tell him he is a son of a *****, too. Now!
Translator: [Very nervous] He says he thinks you are a son of a *****, too.
Patton: [Laughing] All right. All right, tell him I'll drink to that; one son of a ***** to another.
:lmao2: :toast:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Father Damien Karras: I think it might be helpful if I gave you some background on the different personalities Regan has manifested. So far, I'd say there seem to be three. She's convinced...

Father Merrin: There is only one.

- The Exorcist

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS ****ING COUCH!

- John Carpenter's The Thing

Ed: What makes you think you can just walk in there and take whatever you want?

Erin: They're called boobs, Ed

- Erin Brockovich

Captain Mancuso: The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch.

- The Hunt For Red October

Ellie: [to a group of children] I'll tell you one thing about the universe, though. The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space. Right?

- Contact

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
DallasEast;1547260 said:
Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS ****ING COUCH!

- John Carpenter's The Thing

THAT is my favorite line in my favorite scene in one of my favorite movies. Great flick.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
abersonc;1547137 said:
so it is true -- except in the years it isn't?

I wasn't trying to speak for myself. When Brokeback came out there were three out of ten best actor/actress nominees who played homosexual, bisexual, or transexual characters. My comment about it not being true this year was merely to say if it was supposed to be a trend (more and more "gay films"), this year would not have supported that argument.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
One of my all time favorites from Plains Trains and Automobiles from John Candy

"We'd have more luck playing pickup sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will getting a flight out of here before daybreak"

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Hostile;1546507 said:
Colonel Slade: "You're in no position disagree with me, boy. I got a loaded .45 here. You got pimples."

Slade: "Whoo-ah."

Slade: "Don't shrug, imbecile. I'm blind. Save your body language for the bimbi."

Slade: "I know exactly where your body is. What I'm looking for is some indication of a brain. Too much football without a helmet? Hah! Lyndon's line on Gerry Ford. Deputy debriefer, Paris, peace talks, '68. Snagged a silver star and a silver bar. Threw me into G-2."

Charlie: "G-2? "

Slade: "Intelligence. Of which you have none."

Slade: "Oh, where do I go from here, Charlie? "

Charlie: "If you're tangled up, just tango on."

Slade: "You askin' me to dance, Charlie?"

Love that movie Scent of A Women I like that Pacino movie

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1547292 said:
One of my all time favorites from Plains Trains and Automobiles from John Candy

"We'd have more luck playing pickup sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will getting a flight out of here before daybreak"

That movie has a lot of great quotes.

Steve Martin: "I've been wearing the same underwear since Tuesday."

John Candy: "I can vouch for that."

One particularly funny scene I cannot quote here, though, if you know which one I mean.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
DallasEast;1544659 said:
Everyone has heard of Clint Eastwood's "Go ahead. Make my day" or Arnold Schwarzenegger's "Hasta la vista, baby", etc., etc., but do you have any 'not so famous' movie quotes that you have enjoyed just as much? Here are a few of mine:

"If we have to give these ******* ******** our lives, we'll give them hell before we do!" - The Matrix Revolutions

"A word to you about escape. There is no barbed wire. No stockade. No watchtower. They are not necessary. We are an island in the jungle. Escape is impossible. You would die." - The Bridge Over The River Kwai (Note: I've seen so many variations of this quote in other movies that it's more famous than some of the others. Heck, it was used in Star Trek VI for crying out loud, but I still love it.) :)

"I will not be dictated to, I will not be threatened. I am the morning and evening star, I am Pharaoh!" - The Prince Of Egypt

"In ten days I'll have a war on with those Communist *******s, and I'll make it look like it's THEIR fault!" - Patton

"You know Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them ******* each other over for a ******* percentage!" - Aliens

"Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey." - Kill Bill: Vol. 2

sorry - diving in a bit late.

"you can't leave....all the plants will die!"

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
The Real Mavs Man;1547312 said:
That movie has a lot of great quotes.

Steve Martin: "I've been wearing the same underwear since Tuesday."

John Candy: "I can vouch for that."

One particularly funny scene I cannot quote here, though, if you know which one I mean.

Ever sit around and count the number of F-bombs Martin throws out in that scene?? LOL...

burmafrd

Reaction score
just to keep abersonce from pissing his pants- yes I did see Brokeback and it totally unimpressed me. Maybe if I had seen it without HEARING about it ad nauseum I might have liked it a LITTLE better. The quote about it being all style and little substance was pretty much on. For all the talk, it left little impression.

jem88

Reaction score
Hostile;1547205 said:

Let me give you an example. The year "Gandhi" won the Oscar for Best Picture and Ben Kingsley won for Best Actor it was up against "Tootsie" and Dustin Hoffman. My Mom loved that movie and was actually upset that Hoffman lost the Oscar and Tootsie the best movie. To my knowledge she has still never seen Gandhi because it just isn't a story that appeals to her. Is she wrong? Not in my mind, even though I think "Gandhi" was the clearly superior movie. But I am into movies like that because I love History.

It's simply about what you like. In a thread here about the 100 greatest movies of all time someone mentioned 3 movies and said no way were they better than "The Matrix." Is that person wrong? Again, I don't think so. I say that and I will tell you point blank I don't like "The Matrix." I found it boring, unbelievable, and the dialog was crap. That doesn't mean I'm right and the other person is wrong. It's just what we are interested in.

That's just me, no one has to agree.
I kind of see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I buy the premise that you can call something overrated if you haven't seen it. Honestly, if I came on here and said that Roger Staubach was overrated even though I've never seen him play, would you accept that?

I fully accept that people might not have an interest in a given movie or genre- it was the same thing for me with 300 and now with Transformers- but I feel you need to see something before you can call it overrated.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd;1547349 said:
just to keep abersonce from pissing his pants- yes I did see Brokeback and it totally unimpressed me. Maybe if I had seen it without HEARING about it ad nauseum I might have liked it a LITTLE better. The quote about it being all style and little substance was pretty much on. For all the talk, it left little impression.

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
Surely you can't be serious!
I am serious and stop calling me Shirley!

This parrot is dead! It's pushing up the daisies!

I missed the part where this is my problem...

A hospital! What is it? It's a big white building with patients inside...

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Anchorman:

Brian Fantana: People call me the Bry man; I'm the stylish one of the group. I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my *****. Its called the Octagon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is James Westfall and my right one is Doctor Kenneth Noisewater. You ladies play your cards right you just might get to meet the whole gang.

-------------------------------
Ron Burgundy: I don't normally do this, but I felt compelled to tell you something. You have an absolutely breath-taking... heiney. I mean, that thing's good. I wanna be friends with it.

Ron Burgundy: [sporting an erection after talking to Veronica, addressing the office] Don't act like you're not impressed.

Ron Burgundy: The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show...
[kisses his biceps]
Ron Burgundy: and see if she likes the goods.

Brian Fantana: That was one crazy party. I am hung over.
Champ Kind: I woke up on the floor of some Japanese family's rec room, and they would NOT stop screaming.
Brick Tamland: I ate a big, red candle.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
abersonc;1547383 said:
Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!

Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

"No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your *** kicked sayin' something like that, man."