The one player missing syndrome v the cap

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Could and that's already happening with some but they don't have real options for the alternative. Prescott is far from my first choice but they could do worse as there are no guarantees with the QB's coming out in the next two drafts.

The fact is, and few seem to want to accept this, that running the offense through any RB, unless he's an intricate part of the passing game and not just dump offs, is bringing a knife to a gunfight.

In order for this team to do anything, the QB must rise to no worse than top 10 but preferably in the top 8. While I am not a Dakster, I do believe that can happen and many here do not. They're already throwing in the towel on him improving to that level.

I am all in on Prescott because I don't see another real option; however, I am 50/50 on making Cooper one of the top 5 paid WR's and not there with Elliott at all.
We had other options we just chose not to use them because we were all in on Dak.

Foles was out there. Rosen was traded for only a 2nd round pick. You might not like those options but they were there. I’d of taken Will Grier in 3rd round this year for a solid backup and competition.

And we could have still kept Dak without extending him yet.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He did that before and extended him. Garrett's not the first HC to coach in his contract year. More are fired before they get to that.

Oh I don’t discount that he’s done it before. That’s a fact. And Garrett saved himself last time. And if he can accomplish that again I’ll accept it if he gets an extension. He will have earned it.

Accountability is all I’ve ever asked for. Earn it.

visionary

Reaction score
In the last year of the contract? No, that's probable. As probable as it gets. If Jones wanted an excuse to keep him around, the playoff appearance and win was it. He actively chose not to. Now, nothing short of a Championship Game appearance will sell. Jones intentionally put himself, his head coach, and his team in this position. Even his patience has run out.

Stash, I’m sorry buddy
Ain’t happening

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of the player contracts, unless the Joneses are just whistling out their butts.

However, this thinking this is Garrett's last season is born in this forum. We are the ones that have set the standard of continued employment for Garrett and have no idea what they're really thinking behind closed doors. Anyone taking any off the cuff remarks by Booger or Son needs to look back on their history.
Unfortunately, I believe unless the Cowboys have a complete collapse- something below 6-10, I think Jerry keeps Garrett. Too few around here remember that Jerry doesn’t select HCs based on the question, “Who gives us the best chance to win a championship?” Jerry selects his HC based on two questions: 1. Who will allow me to be comfortable doing whatever I want with this team? 2. Who can work under these conditions and still help us possibly win?

In other words, Jerry Jones doesn’t think like any of us fans or as a typical NFL executive possessed with winning a championship. He definitely stays true to his own compass which is always pointing to himself and what he wants. He doesn’t want a coach that could possibly steal any of the “credit” and limelight he craves.

So, Garrett will be here next year. And as many years as Jerry wants this strange arrangement. Jerry is even willing to make excuses for his red headed step son’s failures. If the team falters this year, look for an assistant coach or coordinator to be the scapegoat. That’s the way Jerry uses accountability. It’s for mid level folks, not the people at the top.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I believe unless the Cowboys have a complete collapse- something below 6-10, I think Jerry keeps Garrett. Too few around here remember that Jerry doesn’t select HCs based on the question, “Who gives us the best chance to win a championship?” Jerry selects his HC based on two questions: 1. Who will allow me to be comfortable doing whatever I want with this team? 2. Who can work under these conditions and still help us possibly win?

In other words, Jerry Jones doesn’t think like any of us fans or as a typical NFL executive possessed with winning a championship. He definitely stays true to his own compass which is always pointing to himself and what he wants. He doesn’t want a coach that could possibly steal any of the “credit” and limelight he craves.

So, Garrett will be here next year. And as many years as Jerry wants this strange arrangement. Jerry is even willing to make excuses for his red headed step son’s failures. If the team falters this year, look for an assistant coach or coordinator to be the scapegoat. That’s the way Jerry uses accountability. It’s for mid level folks, not the people at the top.
For years I’ve argued Jason was probably safe barring a total collapse like we saw with Wade or consistent 5-11’s with Campo.

But now that Jerry is determined for Prescott not to prove him wrong, I’m not as sure anyone is safe?

What if the Moore Experiment fails or doesn’t produce anymore favorable results, Prescott struggles and we miss the playoffs or an another early exit. Will Jerry feel the need to respond serving up a sacrificial lamb to the Lynch Mob?

Prescott brings an element we haven’t had before in Garrett era. Someone Jerry is even more dug in or committed to prove he’s a Football Guy. Especially if we sign Prescott to a new deal either before or during this season which basically protects him more than Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think there is one key component you're leaving out of the equation, and that is the potential availability of better candidates. Namely two in Sean Payton and Lincoln Riley. There was plenty of talk and speculation that the team might have done something with one of those guys this year. And I believe that there was some measure of substance to it. And I feel if it lines up and either or both are available next year, a change happens. I think that reality, as much as anything else, is why the team consciously chose not to extend Garrett.

Number1

Reaction score
"one player" can cause many issues

like no Frederick or not resigning Cooper or no D1 since Rod arrived
if any of those on the field ... a very different 2018 season

when it's high profile it just creates more chatter

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think there is one key component you're leaving out of the equation, and that is the potential availability of better candidates. Namely two in Sean Payton and Lincoln Riley. There was plenty of talk and speculation that the team might have done something with one of those guys this year. And I believe that there was some measure of substance to it. And I feel if it lines up and either or both are available next year, a change happens. I think that reality, as much as anything else, is why the team consciously chose not to extend Garrett.
I understand but that’s just an opinion or narrative from the events or lack of events. Or noise as you might describe.

You’re certainly entitled to express that and if you believe it , might present as reality in your mind. But don’t be upset if we challenge those thoughts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"one player" can cause many issues

like no Frederick or not resigning Cooper or no D1 since Rod arrived
if any of those on the field ... a very different 2018 season

when it's high profile it just creates more chatter
Yea... so much chatter on signing Prescott but IMO Cooper is the bigger deal. We’ve already seen what our offense and QB are without his presence.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I have no issue with Dallas signing their own. People cried all off season about Dallas not paying big money in FA even for Earl Thomas who has been dealing with injury and is up in age, yet we have young players who are big impact players and people want to get upset because they sign them? As for Garrett I guess how this season goes will determine his fate but having said that as a fan, you bet I hope to see these team achieve their goals of winning a title so excuse me if I'm not rooting for this team and Garrett to fail