The one player missing syndrome v the cap

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great coaches get more out of lesser talent. Poor coaches get less out of great talent. In every game the opponent has 2-3 players that must be accounted for on both sides of the ball. Garrett coaches "system " football. He does not coach to neutralize weapons a la belichik. This is where he fails.
Belichick is the ultimate defensive Guru of this era. Not many others who neutralize weapons like he has.

I’d like to hear more about this ‘systems’ Football . First I’ve heard of it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger is going to do what's best for Booger and I have no problem with that.

Who in the hell are we to complain about how a man run's his business? You don't like the way the owner runs the cleaners, you find another. You don't like a restaurant, you find another.

For some odd reason, we think this team is held in the public trust and is not a private enterprise. That part of owning it comes accountability to the fans, it doesn't. He doesn't owe anyone anything.

He wants to run his business in a way that makes him comfortable and the only reason people hire others to run their business is because they don't want to or they have to and he qualifies as neither.

Every person on here, it is their choice whether to financially support this business or just give it their time. I find it nuts that people complain and then talk about going to Booger's Big Top for a game. That's like saying I can't stand "The Titanic" but am going to see it again. And you go to James Cameron's house and pay to watch it.

Posters, Booger owes you nothing. Even if you are a season ticket holder, he didn't force you to do that. It is his business and I believe he does the best part-time GM job he can and I've accepted that and decided to remain a fan. I have never financially given him anything but I still consider myself a Cowboys fan.

Whether Garrett is a puppet or not doesn't matter but he's does a pretty decent job of influencing Booger to change his thinking. It is laughable that anyone here thinks Booger can be forced to let Garrett walk. He will let him walk if that inner circle can convince him he could be just as happy with another HC but there's no question now, if Garrett takes this team to the SB, Booger is getting the lion's share of credit for that. Another HC, like Payton, and that is not the case and in fact could reverse on him. Payton got him a ring is the way that could sell. You and I could care less, we don't care who gets credit but we are not driven by that goal either.
You make many good points here Coach regarding Jerry’s freedom as an owner. I would agree 100% except for a few key differences. If for example, you own “Jones Hardware” vs. owning the Dallas Cowboys, I would agree. But the following factors are at play regarding ownership of the Cowboys:
  • The name of the team is not “The Jones Cowboys” - it’s the Dallas Cowboys. When you own something bearing the name and history of a community, it’s different than owning your own lumber yard or restaurant.
  • The Jones family has accepted over a half a billion dollars in local tax payer money from the City of Arlington ($325 million), the City of Frisco ($30 million) and Frisco Independent School District ($30 million), and the Frisco Community Foundation ($30 million) to build his “stayjum” in Arlington, and new team headquarters in Frisco.
  • Those communities certainly benefit from their association with the Cowboys, but when you have accepted large amounts of tax payer funds, Jerry does owe the local community and it’s fans quite a bit in terms of good faith efforts to put a quality product on the field.
If you own a multi-billion dollar sports team in part because of the value and investment the local community and its citizens have made, you are not owning an ordinary business. Without the loyal fan base and community investment, Jerry’s Cowboys wouldn’t be worth as much as it is.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Great coaches get more out of lesser talent. Poor coaches get less out of great talent. In every game the opponent has 2-3 players that must be accounted for on both sides of the ball. Garrett coaches "system " football. He does not coach to neutralize weapons a la belichik. This is where he fails.
I agree, had not thought of this, but I think it is true.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You make many good points here Coach regarding Jerry’s freedom as an owner. I would agree 100% except for a few key differences. If for example, you own “Jones Hardware” vs. owning the Dallas Cowboys, I would agree. But the following factors are at play regarding ownership of the Cowboys:
  • The name of the team is not “The Jones Cowboys” - it’s the Dallas Cowboys. When you own something bearing the name and history of a community, it’s different than owning your own lumber yard or restaurant.
  • The Jones family has accepted over a half a billion dollars in local tax payer money from the City of Arlington ($325 million), the City of Frisco ($30 million) and Frisco Independent School District ($30 million), and the Frisco Community Foundation ($30 million) to build his “stayjum” in Arlington, and new team headquarters in Frisco.
  • Those communities certainly benefit from their association with the Cowboys, but when you have accepted large amounts of tax payer funds, Jerry does owe the local community and it’s fans quite a bit in terms of good faith efforts to put a quality product on the field.
If you own a multi-billion dollar sports team in part because of the value and investment the local community and its citizens have made, you are not owning an ordinary business. Without the loyal fan base and community investment, Jerry’s Cowboys wouldn’t be worth as much as it is.
you make some good points, but I doubt jerry sees it that way.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Of course we’re giving Jerry credit.

Can’t blame him for the last 25 years and not give him credit.

I’m one of his biggest critics . Bash him at every turn but if he brings it home with Garrett he will get his due. It won’t dismiss the last two decades but it will be his.
well most of the time winning a SB is a team and group effort, it is usually silly to credit 1 or 2 guys with all the credit.
NE is an anomaly.
If Cowboys were to win a SB , which I doubt, it would be a group effort of which jerry would be a part of.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you make some good points, but I doubt jerry sees it that way.
He should . After all the Cowboys are a franchise of the NFL which unlike owning other business can be taken away like we saw the Panthers Richardson forced out or Sterling in the NBA.

Jerry a couple years ago threatening to sue the owners was on the verge of a confrontation he eventually backed away from.

And with taxpayer contributions as Bob stated there are other considerations and duties to the city and county. The Cowboys represent the city of Dallas so there is a larger responsibility to maintain public confidence.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
well most of the time winning a SB is a team and group effort, it is usually silly to credit 1 or 2 guys with all the credit.
NE is an anomaly.
If Cowboys were to win a SB , which I doubt, it would be a group effort of which jerry would be a part of.
Jerry was a part of our last Super Bowl run but he didn’t seem pleased he didn’t receive as much credit as Jimmy did. How did you perceive that situation?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jerry was a part of our last Super Bowl run but he didn’t seem pleased he didn’t receive as much credit as Jimmy did. How did you perceive that situation?
Well I loved Jimmy, but he got more credit than he should have, he had a great staff, norv, wanstet sp? the special teams coach forget his name, great set of players,
and I am sure jerry helped some on the deals and getting players signed.
Jerry wanted more credit, and mostly he wanted to be more involved, he told Jimmy that, but Jimmy was a control freak too, and he didnt want Jerry
or anyone else to be more involved.
At the time the cowboys were Jerrys new shiny toy, and he wanted to play with it and Jimmy wouldnt let him.
That is when things got derailed, 2 big egos clashing.
Jimmy got the lions share of credit at the time, and that led to jones and jimmys fued, wanstant and norv leaving to be HC themselves.

It is ironic, because as a group they made a great combination which resulted in 2 dominant SB wins and almost 2 more after jimmy left,
Had that whole group set their egos aside, and stayed together, they would have dominated the NFL for many years.
I think they would have set a record for 3 or 4 SB wins in a row, which would have maybe never been bested.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He should . After all the Cowboys are a franchise of the NFL which unlike owning other business can be taken away like we saw the Panthers Richardson forced out or Sterling in the NBA.

Jerry a couple years ago threatening to sue the owners was on the verge of a confrontation he eventually backed away from.

And with taxpayer contributions as Bob stated there are other considerations and duties to the city and county. The Cowboys represent the city of Dallas so there is a larger responsibility to maintain public confidence.
They represent Dallas in name only now, really they are the Arlington Cowboys, and as stated Arlington has invested 350 mil and get very little mention
or credit. Every now and then Arlington is mentioned during a home game, that is it.
Frisco is quite a ways from Arlington, so they must have got a better deal to make that facility up there.
Not much Cowboy is in Dallas anymore, except some players may live there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They represent Dallas in name only now, really they are the Arlington Cowboys, and as stated Arlington has invested 350 mil and get very little mention
or credit. Every now and then Arlington is mentioned during a home game, that is it.
Frisco is quite a ways from Arlington, so they must have got a better deal to make that facility up there.
Not much Cowboy is in Dallas anymore, except some players may live there.
No doubt Tarrant Co where Arlington is located and Frisco in Collin and Denton counties are also a part of the equation now.

Swanny

Reaction score
IMO, FF has ruined many fans perspective on real football.
I think the NFL wanting more offense to help cater the FF fan has helped ruin the NFL. I do love fantasy sports. Fantasy Hockey is my favorite. I do enjoy FF. But I no longer care to watch the NFL product anymore. I can get all my knowledge in numbers on the internet. So I watch the Cowboys when they are in locally here in Milwaukee and if they aren't I'm out doing something else on Sundays. Periodically checking my FF score throughout the day.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From who?? I dont think anyone would give him much credit, except that he stuck with JG for so long.
But I dont think that will happen so it is a non issue.
I think jerry would have to win like 2 to 3 in 5 year period to get any real credit.
I dont think it is about credit with him, he just likes doing what he does, he enjoys it, and that is why he does it, not for some "credit"
What he does is the cake, and winning SB or just getting there is just the icing on the cake.
Ans sure he wants some icing, but the cake is what he enjoys.
If that was the case, he wouldn't have asked the reporters back when the team had home field throughout "if we win this one, will I get the credit"? When you see any reports about the Cowboys, what name is mentioned the most, Garrett's or Booger's? Even a story about Garrett will shift to Booger. He has established himself as the face of the team.

DD, I do agree that he does what he does because he loves doing it but I think the desire to get his own ring and that title "football man" is what drives him to continue doing it. However, I am not sure if he wins one, that will be enough as the score he keeps would still be Jimmy 2, Booger 1.

I don't think we understand just how Jimmy figures into Booger's continuing drive to prove himself. Booger catches all the Landry firing fallout while Jimmy starts becoming a local media favorite, even while going 1-15. Jimmy delivers that guarantee about beating the Niners in true brash style and then backs it up, that's Dallas media legend stuff right there. The media doesn't give Booger any credit for re-signing Emmitt, it was Jimmy that was behind that. He hires I of this 500 coaches and wins another ring with "Jimmy's team".

All Booger was needing was for Jimmy to throw him a little light and get out from under his shade and he wouldn't even do that and that blew it up but the fuse had already been lit with Jimmy talking to JAX behind Booger's back.

Add to this, Jimmy gets to take shots at him from his network TV post and even places the blame for poor coaching on Booger. Was he wrong? No, but that doesn't it make it right in Booger's mind. He's the one that gave Jimmy a shot when most were opposed to hiring college coaches, including his mentor, Crazy Al.

We discuss all the things Booger has but it's that one thing that he doesn't have that drives him.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree, he's coaching just like Turner did when he had an offense that could tell the D the play and still make it work. That was his initial training and he's not creative enough to get past that. Garrett's brain has a heavy left lean and he's efficient at re-creating what he's seen but not effective at creating what he can envision because he doesn't envision much.

His strategy must work in any game. Should that falter, he's ineffective with tactics to overcome that and used to be dependent on his QB to cover that for him. Romo's improvisational style is responsible for Garrett holding onto that job for this long.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Patriots just won a super bowl without a single pro bowl player on the OL, DL, RB, LB, or WR. Point being, it can be done without a parade of all-stars at 22 positions.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I would let Elliott walk after his contract is up and try to sign Dak for the kind of cash Romo enjoyed in the prime of his career.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Patriots just won a super bowl without a single pro bowl player on the OL, DL, RB, LB, or WR. Point being, it can be done without a parade of all-stars at 22 positions.
yeah if you have bellichek and brady! lol
people need to quit comparing to NE, because that is a unique situation.
Bill has more power and leeway and coaching exp than any other coach in the nfl.
Brady has more power, and exp than any other QB now playing, including many SB appearances.
Being in the SB is no big deal to these 2 guys because they have been there so many times.

Bill also has an owner who lets him do whatever and doesnt meddle at all.
Jerry is a big meddler and other owners meddle as well.
If bill wants to sit a star player in a big game he can do it , I doubt there is any other coach who can do that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well I loved Jimmy, but he got more credit than he should have, he had a great staff, norv, wanstet sp? the special teams coach forget his name, great set of players,
and I am sure jerry helped some on the deals and getting players signed.
Jerry wanted more credit, and mostly he wanted to be more involved, he told Jimmy that, but Jimmy was a control freak too, and he didnt want Jerry
or anyone else to be more involved.
At the time the cowboys were Jerrys new shiny toy, and he wanted to play with it and Jimmy wouldnt let him.
That is when things got derailed, 2 big egos clashing.
Jimmy got the lions share of credit at the time, and that led to jones and jimmys fued, wanstant and norv leaving to be HC themselves.

It is ironic, because as a group they made a great combination which resulted in 2 dominant SB wins and almost 2 more after jimmy left,
Had that whole group set their egos aside, and stayed together, they would have dominated the NFL for many years.
I think they would have set a record for 3 or 4 SB wins in a row, which would have maybe never been bested.
I agree . Jimmy received more credit than he should have. The media spun that as well.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeah if you have bellichek and brady! lol
people need to quit comparing to NE, because that is a unique situation.
Bill has more power and leeway and coaching exp than any other coach in the nfl.
Brady has more power, and exp than any other QB now playing, including many SB appearances.
Being in the SB is no big deal to these 2 guys because they have been there so many times.

Bill also has an owner who lets him do whatever and doesnt meddle at all.
Jerry is a big meddler and other owners meddle as well.
If bill wants to sit a star player in a big game he can do it , I doubt there is any other coach who can do that.

My point is that the Patriots prove that it CAN be done. Maybe hiring a talented coach and giving him actual power is going to be more effective than always being that mythical player short. Clearly, talent isn't the only part of the equation.