The options at #4 decline by one more: Myles Jack's medical report

Techsass

Reaction score
For some reason Jack became my pet cat this draft. I really think he will be an impact player for years to come, but no visit so I guess this year we're finally done with drafting injured players.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Are you trying to win now or retool the Defense that's the Question. Win now "Zeke" retool Defense
than Jalen Ramsey or Bosa or Trade Down.

We can retool and win now. Trading down allows us to draft more quality players. There are other backs who will look great behind this line beside Elliot and you can combine them with 2 other capable backs.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I see us trading down with SF. I think Cleveland is going to take Ramsey, SD wilk take Tunsil, and then one of the QB's will fall to us and SF will want to trade up to get him. That puts us in a perfect position to take Zeke and get an extra second and possibly a 4th too. That was would be my dream first round. Biggest nightmare would be we stay at 4 and take Bosa.

plymkr

Reaction score
We can retool and win now. Trading down allows us to draft more quality players. There are other backs who will look great behind this line beside Elliot and you can combine them with 2 other capable backs.

I don't think it's possible to win now without retooling the defense. Last year's defense was really bad. Romo's injury kind of overshadowed how bad that defense played last year. Our defense has to improve for us to make the playoffs and make a playoff run regardless how healthy Romo is. If our defense plays like last year it's going to be a frustrating season.

So just to make sure we're on the same page when you say "retooling" are you meaning blowing up the defense and getting rid of all the bad contracts and basically start from scratch? So ship out Lee, Mo, Carr, McClain, the starting safeties. That would take several offseasons. Or do you mean taking what we have and adding some youth with the draft and maybe a FA after june 1st. When I say retooling I'm meaning the latter. Take what we have and infuse youth into that front 7 through the draft.

fffiasco

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Fresh legs, rookie contract, there is a lot to like. I think his stock has gone way up since the Rams' move. I think the Rams knew Cleveland wanted Goff and has no interest in Wentz. So Goff #1 and Wentz drops. And I'll bet Cleveland has real trouble moving out of #2 even though they'd like to. They may take less value to do so. I think Elliot is the surprise play here, as high as #2 to a team like the Eagles, who may be worried about us. Possibly to us at 4. He's one of the few skill position players that really stands out and he will go top 5 because of it.

I agree with your thoughts on Cleveland but I think they go Ramsey and Tunsil drops to SD. That leaves us with Wentz Elliot or a trade down. Maybe San Fran moves up for Wentz? That would keep us ahead of philly and maybe still have a chance at Zeke.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
While Jack is certainly a great athlete and cover guy, what many are now neglecting is the fact that before Jaylen Smith was injured, Miles Jack wasn't even being discussed as the top LB prospect this year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I see us trading down with SF. I think Cleveland is going to take Ramsey, SD wilk take Tunsil, and then one of the QB's will fall to us and SF will want to trade up to get him. That puts us in a perfect position to take Zeke and get an extra second and possibly a 4th too. That was would be my dream first round. Biggest nightmare would be we stay at 4 and take Bosa.

If Wentz is the QB there at 4 and the Cowboys like him and pass for a trade down to take a TB at 7, they are dumber than I ever could have imagined.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure. Fresh legs, rookie contract, there is a lot to like. I think his stock has gone way up since the Rams' move. I think the Rams knew Cleveland wanted Goff and has no interest in Wentz. So Goff #1 and Wentz drops. And I'll bet Cleveland has real trouble moving out of #2 even though they'd like to. They may take less value to do so. I think Elliot is the surprise play here, as high as #2 to a team like the Eagles, who may be worried about us. Possibly to us at 4. He's one of the few skill position players that really stands out and he will go top 5 because of it.

The Eagles are not trading up to 2 to take Elliott.

Holy hell people.

Sydla

Reaction score
No one knows for sure about these things but, Zeke said that no team had paid more attention and spent more time with him than Philthy.

And most of their beat writers are saying the guy they really covet is Wentz. Pederson is from the Reid school of thought where they have to have a franchise QB before all else. So if the Eagles make a move for the 2nd pick, it's not for Elliott. It's for Wentz. There isn't a frog's chance in hell they are going to give up one or both of their thirds this year (they have no 2nd rounder), possibly a first rounder next year and maybe a player like Cox for a TB. No freaking way.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And I believe the total opposite of every point you're attempting to make.

I believe that Wentz is the quarterback that the Rams wanted and will draft.

I also believe that Cleveland wants to move out of #2 and they easily will. And whichever team moves into that spot will take Jared Goff at #2.

And how hypocritical is it to think that drafting Tunsil if you're stuck at #4 is "overkill" and yet still somehow think that this team - with this line - also needs a "stud running back" to have a dominant running game?

A team that wouldn't spend the money on Lamar Miller, who was dying to come to Dallas, will spend even more on a rookie, while also giving up the #4 overall pick in the process? Asinine. Totally asinine.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

I also believe that Cleveland wants to move out of #2 and they easily will. And whichever team moves into that spot will take Jared Goff at #2.

And how hypocritical is it to think that drafting Tunsil if you're stuck at #4 is "overkill" and yet still somehow think that this team - with this line - also needs a "stud running back" to have a dominant running game?

A team that wouldn't spend the money on Lamar Miller, who was dying to come to Dallas, will spend even more on a rookie, while also giving up the #4 overall pick in the process? Asinine. Totally asinine.

Your points on Miller are valid. Do we know have heard anything that may have turned the Cowboys off on Miller? When he was coming out of college, did they look at him? I don't these answers, just wondering if money was not the only factor that led them to not even look at him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Your points on Miller are valid. Do we know have heard anything that may have turned the Cowboys off on Miller? When he was coming out of college, did they look at him? I don't these answers, just wondering if money was not the only factor that led them to not even look at him.

They did look at him. They inquired this offseason about him. But his demands exceeded what they were willing to spend on TBs.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

truth

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

All I know is that they were in contact with he and his agent, but the money Houston was offering was the deal breaker. Just like the situation with Murray and the Eagles last year. The Cowboys had a number and that was it. Based on their 'financial responsibility' of late, they weren't willing to go over it.

But it's funny how people will put blinders on and then expect them to not only bust that running back salary number, but to sacrifice the #4 overall pick to do it!

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to win now without retooling the defense. Last year's defense was really bad. Romo's injury kind of overshadowed how bad that defense played last year. Our defense has to improve for us to make the playoffs and make a playoff run regardless how healthy Romo is. If our defense plays like last year it's going to be a frustrating season.

So just to make sure we're on the same page when you say "retooling" are you meaning blowing up the defense and getting rid of all the bad contracts and basically start from scratch? So ship out Lee, Mo, Carr, McClain, the starting safeties. That would take several offseasons. Or do you mean taking what we have and adding some youth with the draft and maybe a FA after june 1st. When I say retooling I'm meaning the latter. Take what we have and infuse youth into that front 7 through the draft.

I used retooling because I was quoting someone else, but I mean option B. Lee and McClain can definitely be good players on a suitable D (if healthy, if focused). I think we will see Mo build upon what we saw last year. Scandrick will be back. So I definitely mean adding pieces.