The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It's not as if there are boatloads of active QBs who have won the Super Bowl at all. There are only 5 total, and Wilson was one of those. Of the other 4, 3 were drafted 15 years ago or more.

Of the last 12 Super Bowls, 6 were won by a QB that was not a 1st rounder, and 6 on the losing SB team were not 1st rounders.

That's not to say Dak is the best possible guy, and of course higher draft picks carry greater odds of success, but to pretend only 1st rounders really have a shot is wrong.

BTW, Brees was also 30 and in his 9th season when he won the Super Bowl. And no, Dak is not taking up the majority of the salary cap, which is expected to be over $240MM. Plus that, if they extend Dak, the cap hit he does have will probably get spread out in the deal
Facts have no place in the Dak war....

75boyz

Reaction score
What’s easier to find?

A Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Herbert, Stroud, Love, Lawrence, or Lamar?

Or

Tom Brady

Brady is right now the ultimate outlier. The GOAT that everyone passed over multiple times.

Russell Wilson is currently the only active QB to win a Super Bowl and not be drafted in the 1st round.

We have Dak. The Cowboys would have to make NFL history at the point to win a Super Bowl with Dak.

Dak is a 4th rounder, over 30, entering his 9th season on the team that drafted him, all while taking up the majority of the cap. He would have to be the 1st QB in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with all that baggage attached. He would become the ultimate outlier. The outlier of all outliers.

So I ask. Why are some so horrified of drafting a QB high and moving on? The chances that we hit on that QB are astronomically higher than Dak ever leading the Cowboys to a Super Bowl victory. There’s 1st round QB hits almost every year, but there’s never been a QB win anything with Daks baggage.
Great follow up to your previous "If you ain't got the QB you better find him post".

Some here will never truly grasp the importance of the role of one guy's performance effecting every single offensive snap of the ball.
The supporting cast theorists will go to their grave saying a mid tier guy with a more complete team is just as good.

While nothing could be further from the truth.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Great follow up to your previous "If you ain't got the QB you better find him post".

Some here will never truly grasp the importance of the role of one guy's performance effecting every single offensive snap of the ball.
The supporting cast theorists will go to their grave saying a mid tier guy with a more complete team is just as good.

guys on here say just blame Jerry and don't worry about it. Our guys can't perform the job they are paid to do because of Jerry. shrugs. Just be happy and support the crap out of them like I do.

75boyz

Reaction score
Here's my off-season post on this topic: (add another #1 with Mahomes recent victory!)

QB's who played in the Super-bowl, from 2007, and their draft round:
Brady, a 6th round pick, is excluded from this list.
Round/Player

1 Manning
1 Grossman
1 Manning
1 Roethlisberger
n/a Warner
2 Brees
1 Manning
1 Rodgers
1 Roethlisberger
1 Manning (Eli)
1 Flacco
2 Kaepernick
3 Wilson
1 Manning
3 Wilson
1 Manning
1 Newton
1 Ryan
3 Foles
1 Goff
1 Mahomes
2 Garoppolo
1 Mahomes
1 Stafford
1 Burrow
1 Mahomes
2 Hurts
I mean...

This makes each discussion to the Foles and Hostettler support groups of the world seem more out of touch with reality than I even thought. Lol

Nice job.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Lol people think a QB will come in and save this franchise. Dak isn't the answer buy putting your hopes in some rookie is delusional. Jerry and Stephen are still the problem.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Lol people think a QB will come in and save this franchise. Dak isn't the answer buy putting your hopes in some rookie is delusional. Jerry and Stephen are still the problem.
I'm with you, I'd be scared to take a chance. Who are we going to get to beat up on bad teams? I'm with you. I don't know why we are looking for a new HC or DC. I'm scared we could get worse. I hated Campo. I'm shaking thinking about it. *wipes sweat off head, and breaths through mouth*

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And it will take a superstar QB to overcome them. There's only one thing that can possibly be changed out of the 2, and it ain't Jerry and Stephen, so...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I say it all the time snd I’ll say it again now:

We have a section of fans here that, if they were Chiefs fans in 2017, would’ve been irate at them for trading up for Mahomes instead of getting Alex Smith more help.

They badly want to downplay the importance of the QB position because they want to take heat off their favorite player.

I get it. You’re a fan, but don’t try and act like you know what you’re talking about if that’s the route you wanna take.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You really think a great QB can’t turn everything around?

My poor child. You’ve been broken.

You’ve watched mediocre QB play since Aikman left and you’ve forgotten just how important a great QB is to a franchise.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
You really think a great QB can’t turn everything around?

My poor child. You’ve been broken.

You’ve watched mediocre QB play since Aikman left and you’ve forgotten just how important a great QB is to a franchise.
Even prime Aikman couldn't save this franchise.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think teams are more than capable of winning it all with the 'outlier' qbs. Foles, Purdy, Hurts, Jimmy G all have gotten to the dance in recent history. The bigger issue to me is paying the outlier QBs. Rookie QB deals area beautiful thing for NFL teams. If you're going to pay a QB record money they better be an elite QB or you better have a top front office in the league who can fill out a roster while navigating the 50-60M per year you're paying the quarterback.
:hammer:

No reason a solid QB can’t be happy with $20 million a year instead of the $40-$50 million I’m sure they will fetch.

Is your name Mahomes? Then why do I have to gamble the team’s entire financial future on your contract?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

We have a section of fans here that, if they were Chiefs fans in 2017, would’ve been irate at them for trading up for Mahomes instead of getting Alex Smith more help.

They badly want to downplay the importance of the QB position because they want to take heat off their favorite player.

I get it. You’re a fan, but don’t try and act like you know what you’re talking about if that’s the route you wanna take.
Alex could have won it all if he had all pros at every position and luck was on his side. I think Tim Tebow was close, just a few more pros and he could have gotten a ring.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
:hammer:

No reason a solid QB can’t be happy with $20 million a year instead of the $40-$50 million I’m sure they will fetch.

Is your name Mahomes? Then why do I have to gamble the team’s entire financial future on your contract?
He's an MVP guy. :p

75boyz

Reaction score

This should be a permanent sticky here honestly.
And it applies to an awful lot of well respected posters here.

The goal of every single NFL GM starts with finding the quarterback, in which he knows will command a lions share of cap space over his lifetime, so that the quality performance of this selected QB is commensurate with on field results.

Do not extend the rookie contract on anything other than tangible "can carry your team regardless" type talent.

Period.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

The goal of every single NFL GM starts with finding the quarterback, in which he knows will command a lions share of cap space over his lifetime, so that the quality performance of this selected QB is commensurate with on field results.

Do not extend the rookie contract on anything other than tangible "can carry your team regardless" type talent.

Period.
could we have an exception for dak? if so I'm all in like a junior varisty high school footballer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Period.
Still some member-to-member finger pointing but there is some mention for where real accountability lies. If one group had their way, Prescott would already be gone. The other group? Prescott would be here until his child reached high school. Thing is, no one has any say so except one guy.

These forum feuds are something else. Members for this quarterback. Members for that quarterback. Very few members could not care less they are screaming at the other group every day from separate life rafts.

Meanwhile, Jerral Wayne Jones is looking down at the commotion in the water below, from the deck of his super yacht, sipping a Johnnie Walker Blue Label Mai Tai, grinning ear-to-ear.