The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

JBS

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629706 said:
That answer was given to you about 10 minutes ago by jose.

You aren't interpreting the sanctions correctly

joseephuss

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629705 said:
This is not correct

Maybe you should provide the link you are going off of because when I google this I keep seeing it mentioned in the same manner as the ESPN story and that comes up to 90.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629701 said:
Just stating that the NCAA handed down a big punishment without doing an investigation themselves or waiting for the Criminal or Civil investigations.
The NCAA has been criticized for slow-paced investigations and issuing the penalties in the past, at times taking over a year. At this pace, the media coverage and limelight on PSU would have been just too long. In my mind, the sanctions had to be issued in a fast-track method and Freeh's report was exactly what they needed to make this happen quickly.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629701 said:
Not talking about bias or not.

Just stating that the NCAA handed down a big punishment without doing an investigation themselves or waiting for the Criminal or Civil investigations.

Not saying the punishment is too light, too heavy or unfair or unbiased.

So slow you guns if you think I am defending PSU in any manner because I AM NOT.

It is a bit disturbing how everyone is taking the Freeh report as factual information when many of the conclusions drawn are simply his opinion of what probably happened based on what we do know. Scary precedent to be setting to hand down punishments based on opinions.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629708 said:
You aren't interpreting the sanctions correctly

:laugh2:

Oh, arn't we? Well provide me a link where it says otherwise then, my friend.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
CATCH17;4629626 said:
Cowherd is saying that he agrees with everything except the taking away of scholarships.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn

He's saying that a lot of people will have to suffer that had nothing to do with the Sandusky situation in the future and that Penn State football is over.

While a lot of people who had nothing to do with the Sandusky situaiton will suffer, I think the punishment is pretty much appropriate.

If you're a PSU football player on scholarship, you're not losing a scholarship. I think that's what I was worried about.

The only scholarships 'lost' are for new recruits, who don't have to worry about uprooting their life as they can just select a new school. In reality, there may be 1 or 2 potential recruits that wind up not going to college because of this, but even that may not quite be the case.

What bothers me about Cowherd's statement is if we lived by that line of thinking, then the NCAA should never punish any school for anything. At the very least, this was against the law and just about as morally reprehensible as it gets. It's not about kids getting paid or trading in their bowl rings for merchandise. It's about a school that was involved in the worst scandal in the history of sports.

And I believe the NCAA has to make the punishment severe to show that this stuff will not be tolerated in any way, shape or form.

I'm also not sure that PSU football is ruined. I could see PSU being a top-15 team 8-years down the road, about 3-years removed from all of the sanctions.

Lastly, PSU continually throughout the process showed that they didn't understand what was going on and that football was more still their top priority. I think the school and their fans that still support Paterno needed a gargantuan reality check.

YR

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period.

How does 10+20+20+20+20 not equal 90?

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd says the Big 10 punishment will be no bowl revenue sharing the next 4 years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
03EBZ06;4629713 said:
The NCAA has been criticized for slow-paced investigations and issuing the penalties in the past, at times taking over a year. At this pace, the media coverage and limelight on PSU would have been just too long. In my mind, the sanctions had to be issued in a fast-track method and Freeh's report was exactly what they needed to make this happen quickly.

Not pro or con for it. Just stating that it was something that happened that I don't recall happening before with something even close to this level of punishment.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4629718 said:
It is a bit disturbing how everyone is taking the Freeh report as factual information when many of the conclusions drawn are simply his opinion of what probably happened based on what we do know. Scary precedent to be setting to hand down punishments based on opinions.

I think there were enough FACTS in there to put this thing in the correct light it needed.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble;4629724 said:
Colin Cowherd says the Big 10 punishment will be no bowl revenue sharing the next 4 years.

So that is even more money they are losing.

kimrose

Reaction score
Here is a link to the actual live news conference from this morning. Hope the link works.

At approx. 2:40, Emmert is quoted as saying, "Third: Penn State's football team will have its initial scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 per year, for a period of four years."

When I watched it live this morning, it sounded like 40 to me. Still sounds like 40 now, unless there is some formula involved. I wish he would have given the straight number rather than a math problem to solve, lol. Would have cut down on some confusion.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8745321

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629730 said:
I think there were enough FACTS in there to put this thing in the correct light it needed.

Im not saying there arn't facts in the report, just saying the major damning conclusions drawn are simply his opinions. Again, punishment based on opinion is a scary precedent to set, that's all im saying.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4629707 said:
Brandon Noble is on espn radio right now complaining that it has nothing to do with the football program.
Stick to magnetizing blockers, Brandon.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
kimrose;4629744 said:
Here is a link to the actual live news conference from this morning. Hope the link works.

At approx. 2:40, Emmert is quoted as saying, "Third: Penn State's football team will have its initial scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 per year, for a period of four years."

When I watched it live this morning, it sounded like 40 to me. Still sounds like 40 now, unless there is some formula involved. I wish he would have given the straight number rather than a math problem to solve, lol. Would have cut down on some confusion.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8745321

Right? Haha.. maybe it is the news media that is reporting it incorrectly?

Im sure it'll get figured out shortly, though. Hard to argue with the actual number either way.. although if its 90 that would take alot longer to recover from.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
RS12;4629738 said:
More than a few people at PSU have decided they arent taking it lying down and plan to sue FWIW.

http://www.ps4rs.org/docs/2012-07-22 - Letter to NCAA.pdf

They are just wasting money on a court battle. Sorry the program got what it deserved they had no institutional control.

What i want to know is why the school has not purged the board; they are as much to blame for what happen. Their job is to make sure the right controls are in place to prevent the football/athletics program becoming to big for it britches instead they just soaked up all that cash and the big paydays they received.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4629745 said:
Im not saying there arn't facts in the report, just saying the major damning conclusions drawn are simply his opinions. Again, punishment based on opinion is a scary precedent to set, that's all im saying.

Well it can be a scary precedent. It could open up the University to try and sue to get things reduced however I think since they said they will not fight the penalties they know that they are guilty of the situation, that the report is pretty dead on and they want to move on from this issue and get out of the media as quick as possible.