The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
kimrose;4629744 said:
Here is a link to the actual live news conference from this morning. Hope the link works.

At approx. 2:40, Emmert is quoted as saying, "Third: Penn State's football team will have its initial scholarships reduced from 25 to 15 per year, for a period of four years."

When I watched it live this morning, it sounded like 40 to me. Still sounds like 40 now, unless there is some formula involved. I wish he would have given the straight number rather than a math problem to solve, lol. Would have cut down on some confusion.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/national_world&id=8745321

The "math problem" has been posted a few times in this thread. 10 initial plus 20 per year for the 4 year ban. Unless ESPN got it wrong then that equals 90.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;4629748 said:
Stick to magnetizing blockers, Brandon.

:laugh1: Did not even click in my mind that it was that Brandon Noble.

JBS

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4629750 said:
Right? Haha.. maybe it is the news media that is reporting it incorrectly?

Im sure it'll get figured out shortly, though. Hard to argue with the actual number either way.. although if its 90 that would take alot longer to recover from.

Clearly there is a massive difference between 90 and 40...90 is much closer to being suffice than 40..

Just my opinion

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
RS12;4629738 said:
More than a few people at PSU have decided they arent taking it lying down and plan to sue FWIW.

http://www.ps4rs.org/docs/2012-07-22 - Letter to NCAA.pdf

Sounds like the victims and families should sue some more folks. What a disgrace. PSU and its brethren thinking they got the shaft? What a joke!

Disgraceful. Take your punishment and just let be. Dragging it out further through the headlines is NOT going to help that school at all. It most likely will only further damage whatever face PSU has left, if any.

Stick a fork in it already.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629759 said:
Clearly there is a massive difference between 90 and 40...90 is much closer to being suffice than 40..

Just my opinion

Did this need to be said? lol

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The removal of 90 scholarships is enormously devastating, but I do not see it as a true death penalty without the inclusion of void seasons like SMU's in the 80's. All-in-all, after discussions, speculations, rumors, etc., the total penalties were about what I expected.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RoyTheHammer;4629761 said:
Did this need to be said? lol

:laugh2: Ok that cracked me up.

I am sure we will get some final clarification of the official number sooner or later.

JBS

Reaction score
Dallas;4629763 said:
You should stop. Nobody has said (1) time in this thread that schools do have 85 scholarships EVERY YEAR. It's a total account of scholarships lost.

You are looking a wee bit silly atm. ;)

I look silly but I'm the only one who has it right.

Good one.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629767 said:

Good one.

But where did folks say the school was losing 85+ scholarships this year or each year even? All I have read is that they will lose about 90 over the years of punishment.

It's a great one actually.

kimrose

Reaction score
viman96;4629755 said:
The "math problem" has been posted a few times in this thread. 10 initial plus 20 per year for the 4 year ban. Unless ESPN got it wrong then that equals 90.

Unless there is a formula, then they got it wrong. Listen to the man speak it. He said, "reduced from 25 to 15 for a period of four years."

So if there IS a formula, what is it? What did he not say? Emmert never said plus 20 per year. He said 25 to 15 per year for a period of four years. I really want to know what the actual number is. Looks like 40. Unless I forgot how to multiply.:laugh2:

Someone above mentioned an accounting of overall scholarships. I guess this is just guy speak. I don't get it. Looks like 40 to me. lol

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629767 said:

Good one.

Actually you do not know if you have it right or not. You posted an article that questions is it the 90 ESPN reported or is it 40 USA Today states.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
This may not be the end for PSU according to the excerpt from a USA Today article at the very bottom of the article says the Government could possibly bring a second hammer.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/coll...aa-penn-state-punishment-sanctions/56427630/1

With the NCAA verdict handed down, Penn State still could face further punitive measures. The Department of Justice and U.S. Department of Education are conducting investigations into the school's actions in relation to the scandal.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629754 said:
Well it can be a scary precedent. It could open up the University to try and sue to get things reduced however I think since they said they will not fight the penalties they know that they are guilty of the situation, that the report is pretty dead on and they want to move on from this issue and get out of the media as quick as possible.

I don't agree that accpeting the sanctions means they admit to EVERY conclusion drawn in the report, but i do agree it would be silly to drag this out any further and fight the sanctions when they are clearly guilty of some sort of cover up with no one having gone to police. Accept the punishment, and move the university forward.. though i don't agree with the logic of some of the sanctions, i think others are dead on. Seems they are finally learning what the letters "P" and "R" mean when put together.

JBS

Reaction score
viman96;4629774 said:
Actually you do not know if you have it right or not. You posted an article that questions is it the 90 ESPN reported or is it 40 USA Today states.

The press conf clearly says 10/yr for 4 years

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasEast;4629765 said:
The removal of 90 scholarships is enormously devastating, but I do not see it as a true death penalty without the inclusion of void seasons like SMU's in the 80's. All-in-all, after discussions, speculations, rumors, etc., the total penalties were about what I expected.

Well IIRC correctly SMU kind of made it a two year instead of one year deal or maybe it was a 1 1/2 deal and they finished it off to 2...can't remember the exact details of all of it.

However what some don't seem to grasp here whether it is 40 or 90 is the idea that any play can transfer right now without waiting a year to play. That means it is much easier for a player to leave now. Plus those that initially had verbal commits or written commits can leave so not just the people on the team but the people that were coming to the team can just change.

Plus add into the future people that might have come onto the team. The higher quality players they normally get will probably just go to other teams because they don't want to go to a school that will not be able to play in a bowl game, championship, has smaller number of scholarships, loss of money and has a severely Tarnished reputation right now.

So where they might have gotten top tier players coming to PSU...chances now are they will be getting players that normally would have went to much smaller schools even schools that are not Div I at all. Players that initially might have only gotten offers from a lower end MAC team or even a team out of Div I like savanah state or north alabama.

Now that does not mean that everyone of those players will be scrubs as even smaller schools get good players here and there but not the same as the recruits they are used to getting.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A week ago:
DallasEast;4620563 said:
In my opinion, Penn State should do away with as much pertaining to Paterno as possible--especially anything post-1998 related--if it wants to reduce the negative implications of its past associations with Paterno to their lowest common denominator. His most worthy accomplishments and lowest failures made up the total man. The statue honored him. His records honored him. Why should one be tainted while the other remain untarnished?
The NCAA wiped out all Joe Paterno head coaching wins from 1998 to present. Will the university follow suit by example in applying that same philosophy onto other things associated with Paterno? Stay tuned.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;4629783 said:
Well IIRC correctly SMU kind of made it a two year instead of one year deal or maybe it was a 1 1/2 deal and they finished it off to 2...can't remember the exact details of all of it.

However what some don't seem to grasp here whether it is 40 or 90 is the idea that any play can transfer right now without waiting a year to play. That means it is much easier for a player to leave now. Plus those that initially had verbal commits or written commits can leave so not just the people on the team but the people that were coming to the team can just change.

Plus add into the future people that might have come onto the team. The higher quality players they normally get will probably just go to other teams because they don't want to go to a school that will not be able to play in a bowl game, championship, has smaller number of scholarships, loss of money and has a severely Tarnished reputation right now.

So where they might have gotten top tier players coming to PSU...chances now are they will be getting players that normally would have went to much smaller schools even schools that are not Div I at all. Players that initially might have only gotten offers from a lower end MAC team or even a team out of Div I like savanah state or north alabama.

Now that does not mean that everyone of those players will be scrubs as even smaller schools get good players here and there but not the same as the recruits they are used to getting.
I understand this entirely. These are totally realistic possibilities which might play out. It will not change my opinion that it would be a 'truer' death penalty if Penn State were forced to void seasons.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I have looked up several different news sites and blogs. They all reference that Pen State will be limited to 65 scholarship players per season. The normal limit is 85.