The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

JBS

Reaction score
CATCH17;4629664 said:
It's a loss of 10 to 15 scholarships for the next 4 years.

What are you talking about?

Psu has 65 scholarships they can offer over the next 4 years. W a max of 15 per year. Other schools have 25 / year. It's a loss of 10/ yr for 4 years = 40

joseephuss

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629653 said:
I really wonder if the Big 10 will tack on anything other than fines.

I can't see them dictating more scholarship losses but who knows.

Maybe lower their share of conference money earned by teams getting into BCS bowl games.

JBS

Reaction score
CATCH17;4629664 said:
It's a loss of 10 to 15 scholarships for the next 4 years.

Psu has 65 scholarships they can offer over the next 4 years. W a max of 15 per year. Other schools have 25 / year. It's a loss of 10/ yr for 4 years = 40

Edit*** lol - you're right...point still the same. It's about 40-45..not close enough

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629637 said:
Of course it has to be more than one year? Are you kidding?

Psu lost 40 scholarships - USC lost 30

Psu 4 year bowl ban - USC 2

Are you kidding me? PSU should have lost closer to 100 scholarships and at least a 6+ year ban.

It really hurts more than that sounds, practically speaking. With the normal attrition that happens with college players - dropouts, transfers, bad grades, felonies, whatever - most schools can sign at or near the limit every year (the SEC was capped at 25 last year, and I think every NCAA school is now). So while Ohio St. (assuming they aren't still under sanctions), can have 85 scholarship players, and can sign 25 next year, replacing those who graduated and those who left by some other means, but as I understand it, Penn St can only sign 15 no matter what. With all the guys who will transfer, and then losing players through regular attrition, Penn St may find itself with only 40 or 50 scholarship players on the roster a year or two down the road.

It's a crushing blow. I can't argue whether or not it's harsh enough, but it's a very harsh punishment.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629671 said:

Edit*** lol - you're right...point still the same. It's about 40-45..not close enough

Thank you good sir.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629671 said:

Ahem.. again, its 90 total scholarships.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It's pretty much an informal death penalty. The program is finished.

joseephuss

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629687 said:
It's not 90..where are you getting 90?

Did you read the ESPN link? This is what they wrote:

"Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period."

That adds up to 90. ESPN could be reporting it wrong, but that is how people are coming up with 90.

JBS

Reaction score
joseephuss;4629690 said:
Did you read the ESPN link? This is what they wrote:

"Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period."

That adds up to 90. ESPN could be reporting it wrong, but that is how people are coming up with 90.

Just saw the link now. I'll check it out.

Again, if it's 90, that's sufficient.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629667 said:
And if they lost 75 I am sure you would be on here screaming they got off too light and should have lost more.

Some people are not going to be happy with what they got in terms of punishment...that is ok. However to say it is light is silly as it is the most punishment a school has received in college football and it was done without the NCAA doing an investigation OR an actual criminal/civil investigation.

Let that sink in a second. This was done NOW instead of waiting for weeks, months or years. No actual NCAA, Criminal or civil investigation was done and they handed down these penalties.

They used the Freeh report which was commissioned by the school itself; so in other words they used what the school said against it.

Interesting but hard to claim bias or anything else isn't it?

RS12

Reaction score
and will cap scholarships at 20 below the normal limit for four years.

Believe this means they will be allowed 65 schollies max during the probation.

JBS

Reaction score
You guys are wrong..

85 to 65 is over the TOTAL of 4 years. NOT per year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;4629696 said:
They used the Freeh report which was commissioned by the school itself; so in other words they used what the school said against it.

Interesting but hard to claim bias or anything else isn't it?

Not talking about bias or not.

Just stating that the NCAA handed down a big punishment without doing an investigation themselves or waiting for the Criminal or Civil investigations.

Not saying the punishment is too light, too heavy or unfair or unbiased.

So slow you guns if you think I am defending PSU in any manner because I AM NOT.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
RS12;4629697 said:
Yup, for total of 90 scholarship loss

The penalties will definitely hurt the PSU football team for several years. It's unfortunate that my innocent bystanders will be hurt by these sanctions, as with all sanctions, but it had to be done and I'm ok with it.

JBS

Reaction score
RS12;4629697 said:

Exactly. This goes Into effect in 2014..so that's -20

From now til 2014 they lose 10/year = another 20

Totaling 40

=

WEAK!!!!!!

JBS

Reaction score
03EBZ06;4629702 said:
Yup, for total of 90 scholarship loss

The penalties will definitely hurt the PSU football team for several years. It's unfortunate that my innocent bystanders will be hurt by these sanctions, as with all sanctions, but it had to be done and I'm ok with it.

This is not correct

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Brandon Noble is on espn radio right now complaining that it has nothing to do with the football program. It has everything to do with the football program. From the coaching staff to the top officials at the university, they covered up criminal acts committed by an assistant football coach. "Those young men" he keeps referring to are free to go play football elsewhere.

If you take that approach to everything, then we can't punish anybody for anything. Hey, why are they sending Sandusky to prison? He may have family members who are suffering because of his incarceration and loss of income, yet they had nothing to do with his crimes.

Using the unintended punishment argument is just illogical. People suffer all the time for the actions of others. In the cases of the players, they can go elsewhere if their main desire is football and not education. The people who are really hurt are those whose businesses were partly or wholly dependent on the $$ generated by fans and the football program. While I feel for those people, the NCAA can't base punishment on collateral damage, anymore than a court should.