The Penn State Aftermath Thread *Penalty Post #403*

JBS

Reaction score
Psu got off lightly. What an embarrassment.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4629621 said:
Or perhaps, we instead just witnessed appropriate punishment for one of the worst scandals in collegiate history.

Cowherd is saying that he agrees with everything except the taking away of scholarships.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn

He's saying that a lot of people will have to suffer that had nothing to do with the Sandusky situation in the future and that Penn State football is over.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4629625 said:
Psu got off lightly. What an embarrassment.

Not sure why you feel that way. This is way more damaging than just losing one year of football IMO.

burmafrd

Reaction score
CATCH17;4629626 said:
Cowherd is saying that he agrees with everything except the taking away of scholarships.

He's saying that a lot of people will have to suffer that had nothing to do with the Sandusky situation in the future and that Penn State football is over.

You HAVE to hit the scholarships if you are going to be serious.

Postseason ban is bad but not all that terrible. But scholarships is the real hammer.

What is meant by this is that they want the whole school to suffer. If you are going to change a culture you need a very big hammer.

And if anything was clear it was that the culture there was to protect the football program at ANY cost.

JBS

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629631 said:
Not sure why you feel that way. This is way more damaging than just losing one year of football IMO.

Of course it has to be more than one year? Are you kidding?

Psu lost 40 scholarships - USC lost 30

Psu 4 year bowl ban - USC 2

Are you kidding me? PSU should have lost closer to 100 scholarships and at least a 6+ year ban.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
CATCH17;4629626 said:

That's the problem, though. In punishing any program, or just levying any punishment in any walk of life, people are going to be hurt who had nothing to do with it.

If we looked at everything that way, we couldn't punish Bernard Madoff because he has friends, family, and employees who will suffer because of it even though they had nothing to do with his fraud. Or send violent criminals to prison, because it's depriving his kids of their father.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
burmafrd;4629632 said:
You HAVE to hit the scholarships if you are going to be serious.

Postseason ban is bad but not all that terrible. But scholarships is the real hammer.

What is meant by this is that they want the whole school to suffer. If you are going to change a culture you need a very big hammer.

And if anything was clear it was that the culture there was to protect the football program at ANY cost.

Well they definetely owned them. Penn State is done for a looooong time.

Big 10 still hasn't punished Penn State either so who knows what they will pile on.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4629637 said:

Are you kidding me? PSU should have lost closer to 100 scholarships and at least a 6+ year ban.

The death penalty is considered 1 year of NO football. This is worse than that.

Furthermore the thing that hurts PSU vs USC is the ability for the kids at PSU to transfer right now without having to wait a year.

That is a big thing right there.

This is much worse than the USC and to think otherwise is a little silly.

Add into that the loss of $60 million just for the football program.

Some will say...PSU has plenty of money, sure they do but I doubt many want to take money to other areas to cover the football program right now. Also some can say that boosters will pay that...which they can but you take away money from boosters that would normally be above the $60 million so you are still losing that money.

JBS

Reaction score
People who think this is the end of psu need to think twice. They are ****ed for 4 years..give it a few more years to rebuild and they can easily rebound from this.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CATCH17;4629645 said:
Well they definetely owned them. Penn State is done for a looooong time.

Big 10 still hasn't punished Penn State either so who knows what they will pile on.

I really wonder if the Big 10 will tack on anything other than fines.

I can't see them dictating more scholarship losses but who knows.

JBS

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4629649 said:
The death penalty is considered 1 year of NO football. This is worse than that.

Furthermore the thing that hurts PSU vs USC is the ability for the kids at PSU to transfer right now without having to wait a year.

That is a big thing right there.

This is much worse than the USC and to think otherwise is a little silly.

Who cares if those kids can leave?!? They are done for the next 4 years ANYWAYS. Kids leaving now doesn't matter much.

They should have lost at least 75 scholarships

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629637 said:

They lost 90 scholarships.. not 40.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629648 said:
You said it yourself, the real hammer is the loss of scholarships. 10/year for 4 years is not enough. Not even close.

lol it will take them 15 years to recover. Maybe longer.

Not to mention their core group of guys currently can just leave and go anywhere they please and not sit a year.

joseephuss

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4629648 said:
You said it yourself, the real hammer is the loss of scholarships. 10/year for 4 years is not enough. Not even close.

It isn't 10/year for 4 years. It is 10 immediately and then 20/year for 4 years. That is 90 total scholarships lost.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
CATCH17;4629617 said:
This is kind of off the main topic but if I were a quality Penn State player I would try to get some of my other teammates to transfer to a school like Ohio State and make a Superteam.

Hello...this is Urban...want to be a Buckeye?

:D

JBS

Reaction score
joseephuss;4629658 said:
It isn't 10/year for 4 years. It is 10 immediately and then 20/year for 4 years. That is 90 total scholarships lost.

This isn't true. Show me evidence of this and I'll agree it's sufficient

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4629655 said:
Who cares if those kids can leave?!? They are done for the next 4 years ANYWAYS. Kids leaving now doesn't matter much.

They should have lost at least 75 scholarships

And if they lost 75 I am sure you would be on here screaming they got off too light and should have lost more.

Some people are not going to be happy with what they got in terms of punishment...that is ok. However to say it is light is silly as it is the most punishment a school has received in college football and it was done without the NCAA doing an investigation OR an actual criminal/civil investigation.

Let that sink in a second. This was done NOW instead of waiting for weeks, months or years. No actual NCAA, Criminal or civil investigation was done and they handed down these penalties.