The Plan seems to be clear seemingly

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You say SF gave up on Lance, I think they just saw something in Purdy, did they give up on Sam as well?? Everything is an experiment in the NFL...
They gave up on lance. You don't trade multiple first and second round picks to get a player. Test him out and see him struggle. Then go get another recycled QB in Sam.arnold to hedge your bets. They had no idea what Purdy was until both Lance and Sam got hurt.

Then he was demoted to 3rd string. If he was better than Donald They would have kept him for the price. Instead they dumped him for a 4th rounder and if not for Jerry probably a 5th rounder after 2 years.

Yes an experiment. An experiment that failed and if not for getting lucky on Purdy would have had devastating impact on SF

chuck520

Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

so cowboys have to take the bitter pill. deal with the cap. walk away.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
The plan is there is no plan but they have you thinking they have a plan

chuck520

Reaction score
They gave up on lance. You don't trade multiple first and second round picks to get a player. Test him out and see him struggle. Then go get another recycled QB in Sam.arnold to hedge your bets. They had no idea what Purdy was until both Lance and Sam got hurt.

Then he was demoted to 3rd string. If he was better than Donald They would have kept him for the price. Instead they dumped him for a 4th rounder and if not for Jerry probably a 5th rounder after 2 years.

Yes an experiment. An experiment that failed and if not for getting lucky on Purdy would have had devastating impact on SF
Trey is a bust, trade him if you are able to

Verdict

Reaction score
Hey, I am just trying to read the tea leaves just like everyone else. When something doesn’t make sense it USUALLY means there is a fact or facts that if you knew at the time it would make a lot more sense.

So here’s a possible scenario that fits the situation:

1. The Cowboys tried to extend Dak and his number is too high OR the Cowboys are willing to move on from Dak this year before the season starts if it is possible to do so. (In either case the result is the same). They are actively looking for a QB to replace Dak.

2. If #1 is true then the Cowboys would not want to tip their hand about drafting a QB in this year’s draft. Why?

A. They may not end up being able to draft a suitable target in the draft and they might be forced to keep Dak.

B. It would drive up the price for a move up to draft a QB and also enable a team to leapfrog Dallas if they know Dallas is actively searching for a QB.

C. It’s just smart to keep your plans tight to the vest.

3. If Dallas drafts a QB and decides to go with Lance and/or a rookie they can then choose to try and move Dak OR cut him post June 1.

4. If the Cowboys don’t draft a QB in this draft they can still cut Dak or roll with Dak and see what happens.

I don’t view the Lance trade in a vacuum. I think the Cowboys organization were hedging their bets long before now to allow options to move on from Dak.

chuck520

Reaction score
Hey, I am just trying to read the tea leaves just like everyone else. When something doesn’t make sense it USUALLY means there is a fact or facts that if you knew at the time it would make a lot more sense.

1. The Cowboys tried to extend Dak and his number is too high OR the Cowboys are willing to move on from Dak this year before the season starts if it is possible to do so. (In either case the result is the same). They are actively looking for a QB to replace Dak.

2. If #1 is true then the Cowboys would not want to tip their hand about drafting a QB in this year’s draft. Why?

A. They may not end up being able to draft a suitable target in the draft and they might be forced to keep Dak.

B. It would drive up the price for a move up to draft a QB and also enable a team to leapfrog Dallas if they know Dallas is actively searching for a QB.

3. If Dallas drafts a QB and decides to go with Lance and/or a rookie they can then choose to try and move Dak OR cut him post June 1.

4. If the Cowboys don’t draft a QB in this draft they can still cut Dak or roll with Dak and see what happens.

I don’t view the Lance trade in a vacuum. I think the Cowboys organization were hedging their bets long before now to allow options to move on from Dak.
The QB is not the problem, you have to fix the running game and the run defense, now you have holes on the offensive line, defensive depth and need a 3rd receiver. The QB is fine you build around him but the honest truth is that it doesnt matter who the QB is because they are never going to win a Super Bowl title with this front office. The players and coaches have to overcome the deficiencies of the front office.

Asklesko

Reaction score
The plan is stupid. We already know what we have in Dak Prescott. We don't need to waste another year finding out.

chuck520

Reaction score

Until you change owners or hire a real GM none of those scenarios are going to make any difference

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think the plan/strategy is clear. Cowboys aren't redoing Dak's contract and will roll into the season with the 55M cap hit (it was 59, but they just redid it for 4M), which obviously limits our FA flexibility. If they wanted to have Dak long term then they would have redone his contract, open up cap space and sign a few FAs. Further, they are walking away from some of the older cowboys ala Tyron and not willing to give Biadasz a contract extension. Further signal that they are walking away in 2025. Otherwise both would have been resigned.

So Given their cap space limitations they can't be big player in FA (stating the obvious). All this to minimize Dak's future dead cap hit. We probably will roll into 2025 with Lance, but not sure how we can do that, since they haven't picked up his 5th year option. if Lance walks away in 2025, that trade would be the absolute worst trade ever made by the cowboys. utter stupidity.

I am sure some will scream the large contract is the cause, we been saying this for years.....scream, scream...etc. but lets not forget this is the same for all large QB contracts. the first three years the contract was not too bad with 17, 19 and 26M. we had 10M on the cap in 2023, and 20M in 2022. we just chose not to spend or redo other contracts at the time to pull money into the year. . if they wanted to keep Dak, they would redo the contract and that 55M would easily drop to 20M. We knew this year was coming, and either extend or walk away. Every team is going to deal with this exact situation. every team has to deal with same exact situation. make a decision on keeping or letting walk.

with the improvements Eagles, Washington and Giants made, next year will be tough. Fingers will point to the same person. the question is what's the plan for 2025?.

I also wonder if this is somehow Johnson's doing as an advisor being involved (as he said). perhaps a soft rebuild. the big question is finding the right QB. this could be easy (with a little luck) or a rough road ahead (see New England).
There's a plan???

Chasing6

Reaction score

I think GM Jethro's plan, is let's try to keep our fans guessing what our plan is? It will create a massive interest, good and bad, about what we are doing and or not doing.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It is not inept handling off the cap. They are not spending on purpose. They know this team isn’t competing for the Super Bowl next season. They’re preparing for the next window, whether it’s with a new coach, a new QB, or both.

And honestly I don’t blame them. I don’t think a Dak and McCarthy combo can compete for a title, so why keep throwing bad money at it.
But compared to Super Bowl winning teams, our front office rarely if ever spends big money in free agency. Again, look at what the Rams did getting Stafford and retaining Aaron Donald while still paying big money for other free agents which produced a championship (remember those?) and the Rams are still relevant and look like they could win the West this year.

Conversely, we never do anything in free agency and rely almost exclusively on the draft, while the elite teams do a mix of both and pull of salary cap miracles while doing it.

We are frugal in free agency and it shows.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Every other good - great team in the nfl knows how to work the salary cap system to their advantage (see what Rams did to win a Super Bowl while continuing to be relevant). Only here in Dallas do we see such ineptness with handling the cap.

I expect a big drop off in wins this season and next and …

Shouldn’t expect anything less when called “The Clampetts”.

kskboys

Reaction score
The QB is not the problem, you have to fix the running game and the run defense, now you have holes on the offensive line, defensive depth and need a 3rd receiver. The QB is fine you build around him but the honest truth is that it doesnt matter who the QB is because they are never going to win a Super Bowl title with this front office. The players and coaches have to overcome the deficiencies of the front office.
You really need to start watching our playoff games.

LittleD

Reaction score
The only way this is going to be easy is if the Bears trade for Dak for that #1 pick which I'm pretty sure the Bears GM will be unemployed before the end of the season if he did that. It's going to be painful because of the insanity of that first extension.
Dude...Dak has an iron clad no trade clause in his deal. Dak is going nowhere until next year. He will depart in 2025 and we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him in 2026.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
the QB is part of the problem just like the WR, #11, and the rest who dont show up for playoff games..Im not saying they are bad players, I'm saying the culture here has gotten to them and now they take early exits in the playoffs..you cant say Dak is not part of the problem when he also comes up very short in not only big games but home playoff games against 7th seeds..so does Micah, CD, Zak..on and on,,they all do.

Redline360

Reaction score
Chuck is just the type of person to look at face value stats and forms an opinion. Sees Dak throws for 400 yards vs GB and think he did great but in reality was terrible 90% of the game until the 3rd stringers entered the game

J-man

Reaction score
So many people took JJ's "all in" comment the wrong way. Y'all thought he meant he was going to sign a bunch of high priced free agents and go for it. But that's not what he meant at all. When he said that, he was specifically talking about his super star upcoming free agents and how he's going to go all in on keeping them. That means Dak, Micah, Cee Dee and Diggs are all going to get new mega deals. He's going to draft his new top flight LT this year and he will then think that he has aces at all 5 of the top positions in football, QB, WR, LT, CB, DE locked in for the next several years.

What the FO is doing now is just making room to do all of this over the next 1-3 years. They will add a RB this year as well and then they will draft all the other needed fill ins that they lost or will yet lose over the next couple drafts.
He thinks this is what you need to win. I personally think he's wrong because he doesn't realize that regardless of the fab 5, they still need so much more help from very good players on the rest of the team and he won't have the $ to pay those guys to come and/or stay.

Time will tell who is right.

chuck520

Reaction score
Chuck is just the type of person to look at face value stats and forms an opinion. Sees Dak throws for 400 yards vs GB and think he did great but in reality was terrible 90% of the game until the 3rd stringers entered the game
Dak isnt the problem, you think changing QB's fixes the problems with this franchise? The problem is owner/GM. It starts at the top the players and coaches cannot overcome this dysfunctionality