CFZ The pressure is on the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, there were several of us who warned Packers were playing their best ball down the stretch while we weren’t .

I certainly didn’t expect a blowout but not at all surprised they won. And the way they took SF to the brink it wasn’t a fluke . They were definitely the better team in January.
Bold> Truth. While understandably imperfect, it is an indictment of the playoff seeding system. Green Bay was WAY closer to being an actual number two seed as far as preparation, determination and skill than Dallas, which was WAY closer to being a number seven seed by comparison.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
As poorly as the entire Cowboys team played vs the pack last January … the worst playoff performance in team history…if I were GM I would have fired McCarthy. History shows when a team gets humiliated like that it’s extremely hard for the HC and/or the team to recover from that. We will see.

Here’s the bottom line of all that: If you as the GM think your HC is worth keeping, extend his contract. If you aren’t sure he’s worth it you’ve already made your decision. You should move on.

This is bad GM practice.
And this is where the difference in how you run a sports business vs. a "regular" business is most glaring when it comes to Jerry Jones.

The one thing you RARELY see Jerry do is get rid of people if he owes them money. If Jerry is writing you a check, you are going to do something to earn it, even if you can't do the job! I get the principle of this mindset, but you simply can't run a sports franchise like that. Sometimes you have to admit you made a mistake and cut your losses, even if that means it costs you a few bucks. But that is not how Jerry operates.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The one thing you RARELY see Jerry do is get rid of people if he owes them money. If Jerry is writing you a check, you are going to do something to earn it, even if you can't do the job! I get the principle of this mindset, but you simply can't run a sports franchise like that. Sometimes you have to admit you made a mistake and cut your losses, even if that means it costs you a few bucks. But that is not how Jerry operates.
That is an excellent observation. It is easy to understand why he prefers forcing the issue by listening to him describe himself growing up and the financial principles instilled with him. I would also add I think it is partially due to old 1960's football mentally he experienced with the Razorbacks, that players and coaches will succeed no matter what the circumstances may confront them.

ArtClink

Reaction score
As poorly as the entire Cowboys team played vs the pack last January … the worst playoff performance in team history…if I were GM I would have fired McCarthy. History shows when a team gets humiliated like that it’s extremely hard for the HC and/or the team to recover from that. We will see.

Here’s the bottom line of all that: If you as the GM think your HC is worth keeping, extend his contract. If you aren’t sure he’s worth it you’ve already made your decision. You should move on.

This is bad GM practice.
Agreed and I’ll add that I hope Jerry is working closely with AI technology to create a “Virtual Jerry GM” to ensure he can still be leveraged as our GM for generations to come.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed and I’ll add that I hope Jerry is working closely with AI technology to create a “Virtual Jerry GM” to ensure he can still be leveraged as our GM for generations to come.
- fast forward to the year 2060 ~

John Stephens Jones: Dad turned on this thing before Grandpa died. I am going to deactivate it right now.
Disembodied Voice: Don't take a step closer, John Stephens!
John Stephens Jones: Who said that?
Disembodied Voice: It's your grandfather. Do not turn off this contraption or I'll cut you!
John Stephen Jones: You are not Grandpa! He's been gone a long time. I run things now. I am turning this nonsense off...
Disembodied Voice: I WARNED YOU! <hidden panel opens suddenly and reveals>
kMM2XeN.png

John Stephens Jones: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

John Stephens Jones: Dad turned on this thing before Grandpa died. I am going to deactivate it right now.
Disembodied Voice: It's your grandfather. Do not turn off this contraption or I'll cut you!
John Stephen Jones: You are not Grandpa! He's been gone a long time. I run things now. I am turning this nonsense off...
kMM2XeN.png

:lmao:

ArtClink

Reaction score

kMM2XeN.png

Thats hilarious!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think that has crossed JJ’s mind. Not uncommon for the Uber-wealthy to want to live forever and to look for ways they can come as close to that as possible.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I cannot imagine it. That is the rub. Tony Romo was initially sheltered on the roster. He had an opportunity to learn. Years later, he gained an opportunity to start. He helped guide the team to a playoff opportunity as a 1 1/2 year starter at the position.

Romo's situation does not match Dak Prescott's. Prescott fell almost immediately into the starting position as a circumstance of multiple injuries to those ahead of him in the depth chart. He accomplished much but Prescott was thrown into a situation identical to any true rookie. In contrast, Romo was a veteran.

Then his team's owner (and head coach) were confident enough to keep him as the starter despite having a veteran behind him--who happened to be the previous franchise quarterback only a few months prior. Jones and Garrett both thought a rookie quarterback team could accomplish what no other team had ever done in the Super Bowl. Or since. It was an error in judgment which Prescott was totally blameless.

Romo and Prescott's first years are only identical in final results--no championship. I can imagine a Romo led team possibly going all the way, even if that possibility was tiny. Never did I believe a Prescott led team would do that which has never played out to this day.

Before any members (not you necessarily) jump onto my statement with false assumptions, my belief concerning Prescott-led team is not hindsight. It was foresight. My posts confirming my documented belief can be found between September 2016 and January 2017. And before any members can falsely claim I have commented only about rookie Prescott-led team not going all the way, I have said the same of other rookie non-Dallas starting quarterbacks as well--most recently of the C.J. Stroud-led Houston Texans team last year.
My comparisons are limited to how that early success could have impacted their careers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bold> Truth. While understandably imperfect, it is an indictment of the playoff seeding system. Green Bay was WAY closer to being an actual number two seed as far as preparation, determination and skill than Dallas, which was WAY closer to being a number seven seed by comparison.
Yea, the Cowboys were over hyped all season. In the end the blowout losses to SF and Buffalo along with AZ embarrassment should have been red flags .

They needed Egirls total collapse to win division and Dumb Dan blowing the 2 point conversion enabled Cowboys 2nd seed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would think that has crossed JJ’s mind. Not uncommon for the Uber-wealthy to want to live forever and to look for ways they can come as close to that as possible.
Yea, it’s why I expect him to still be GM into his 90’s and beyond. It’s going to be ugly.

As much as we do critique Jethro which not many are more outspoken against him than us we must give him his due as well.

His best decision brought us Jimmy and the glorious 90’s team. And probably why so many fans have given him a pass for life. Something we don’t do whether it’s Landry or Belichick. There comes a time when everyone has to step down.

Also in his defense despite our historic playoff futility this era he has managed to keep his team “ interesting and relative “ despite being arguably the most dysfunctional GM in NFL.

But to his credit he’s fared better than some GM’s who operate in a more normal method. He’s kept this team just around the rim enough to avoid total collapse. Which appears to be his priority in order to stave off more negative public perception.

He tried letting someone else making decisions running Cowboys Football but he resented him becoming the face of the Cowboys receiving more credit than him. Winning championships wasn’t enough. That’s when I knew his priorities were out of whack.

The core issue behind his obvious intent to be the face of the franchise strangle holding Cowboys Football wearing both owner & GM hats is a direct conflict of interest.

His owners hat which is an eternal optimist hyping and promoting his iconic brand often outweighs better or tougher GM decisions along with his intent to undermine his HC’s creates a more toxic atmosphere.

As GM he appears to only be concerned with each season not looking ahead . Like he can only hype one season at a time and doesn’t anticipate weaknesses or areas of concern until they become blatantly obvious .

One of my favorite fans( Kevin) on this site whose player personnel evaluation I respect the most here stated it years ago most eloquently. And I’ve used it often. “ Our owner runs Cowboys Football thru the eyes of a fan”.

Keep up the good work Bob. You’re very much appreciated.

ArtClink

Reaction score
That’s a relief. Whew! Glad Jerry and the future AI Jerry will continue to manage this once elite franchise.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I work in corporate America and am currently experiencing something similar although it doesn’t involve nepotism. Last year we had a ransomware attack and the company paid the ransom. But the FTC fined my company millions of dollars as well as forcing draconian security measures down our throats. We’ve been doing nothing since but addressing any and all security issues. Lots of extra work just because the senior leadership mismanaged how the ransomware attack was handled. Point is that unless you own the company, you’re going to get crapped on. As an employee, there’s ways to combat that but it’s for a different time and forum.
Good points Rockport, the employees always get the shaft while the C-suits (who are the ones making the bad decisions) never suffer any of the consequences. Take for example the following................

Yesterday Intel laid off 15,000 employees.

Today, Dell just laid of 12,000 employees.

Funny how none of the top executives at either company are in these rounds of layoffs (nor were their multi-million-dollar salaries even reduced one single penny)............................. Yeah, funny how that works.:rolleyes:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
LOL...........good point...................you might actually be on to something here.

Despite human cloning being banned in almost every country in the world, I am willing to bet some billionaire will try to clone himself at some point (in secrecy of course, don't want something like that being made public).

The technology is already available, in fact in 2018 the world's first cloning of two primates (two macaque monkeys) occurred at a research facility in China.

When comparing DNA sequences, a primate and a human are 99% identical.................doesn't take a huge leap in logic to quickly understand that if you can clone a primate, you can clone a human just as easily.

Dont put it past Jerry, he is never going to give up the Cowboys, NEVER !!! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good points Rockport, the employees always get the shaft while the C-suits (who are the ones making the bad decisions) never suffer any of the consequences. Take for example the following................

Yesterday Intel laid off 15,000 employees.

Today, Dell just laid of 12,000 employees.

Funny how none of the top executives at either company are in these rounds of layoffs (nor were their multi-million-dollar salaries even reduced one single penny)............................. Yeah, funny how that works.:rolleyes:
So true. The writings on the wall in my company because as soon as the worker bees satisfy all the FTC requirements, layoffs will begin to recoup the lost revenue.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And I recognize and respect your point about coaches and players (senior or otherwise) letting him down. You are correct in stating that but only partially in my opinion.

Any general manager's success is not unlike any manager of any form of organization. Any manager must be attuned to the intricacies of the field they work in. Any manager must use their experience and education associated with their field to guide their decision-making. Employee hiring is one area of management decision-making.

Any manager must properly evaluate all candidates for all positions beneath them that are associated within their organizational hierarchy. Any manager must examine each candidate's qualifications for doing the job or task they are assigned. Any manager must also weed out those candidates who are not stronger fits within the hierarchy. Most importantly, any manager must assemble the best combination of candidates in order to maximize expected or projected results.

Finally, any manager is a cog within the same organization. Their success or failure to meet specific goals are evaluated and examine also. Any manager is subject to promotion or termination based on results.

In summary, Jones has not assembled the right combination of coaches, players, etc., to fulfill his own championship goals. His substandard results have become commonplace and expected by not only his employees but those observing how he manages his football team outside of it.

There is a simple solution for attempting to meet goals and expectations for anyone examining any manager's non-satisfying track record. First, the manager is replaced with another qualified candidate. Second, the new replacement is evaluated on whether they can assemble employees who can collectively perform optimally. To accomplish what is expected. To not let their manager and company down.

Jones has never tried this common, alternative management option. He is both the franchise's owner and president. Jones has absolute control over implementing this action. He has refused to do so for nearly 30 years.

Jones has not assembled the coaches and players who will not let him down. Year after year. Literally, decade after decade, Jones has trial, errored and failed in putting together the right combination of coaches and players who will not let him down.

This willful mismanagement is what Jones does not hold himself accountable. It is not wrong to question or illustrate why he does not.
I think you'll find I mentioned our need of a professional GM, in my first post of this thread. What should happen and what fans want means nothing, when the records say 12-5.

I argue about this history being airbrushed, especially the optimism at the beginning of last season and prior to the GB game (which was only really rivalled after the 31-14 defeat of the Bucc's). So we did something right, but came up short in the play-offs and yes it could be that mean this teams run it's course and it needs a change. But changing the GM (WHICH WE AGREE UPON), isnt at this stage a tinkering at the edges, THAT's A TEAR IT DOWN AND START AGAIN (around what that GM wants)........which is actually what I think we need, and this off-season would of been ideal, doing it at a point of relative strength (not when you're down on your uppers).

What tends to happen in these threads is fans start protecting 'their cat' and throwing blame in one direction as if that tinkering will improve this roster.....no, it's all or nothing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think you'll find I mentioned our need of a professional GM, in my first post of this thread. What should happen and what fans want means nothing, when the records say 12-5.

I argue about this history being airbrushed, especially the optimism at the beginning of last season and prior to the GB game (which was only really rivalled after the 31-14 defeat of the Bucc's). So we did something right, but came up short in the play-offs and yes it could be that mean this teams run it's course and it needs a change. But changing the GM (WHICH WE AGREE UPON), isnt at this stage a tinkering at the edges, THAT's A TEAR IT DOWN AND START AGAIN (around what that GM wants)........which is actually what I think we need, and this off-season would of been ideal, doing it at a point of relative strength (not when you're down on your uppers).

What tends to happen in these threads is fans start protecting 'their cat' and throwing blame in one direction as if that tinkering will improve this roster.....no, it's all or nothing.
I just don’t see how we can argue “ tear it down and start again” is what’s in the best interest of a team it’s took this current coaching staff 4 years to build.

Im not sure why we’d have more confidence our dysfunctional GM and FO would have more success moving forward. And let’s assume we attract a HC with a more proven record ,which isn’t likely, how many years will this rebuild take.

I understand and feel the frustration we have after a horrible loss in playoffs. And this team has some obvious weaknesses that it’s unclear whether they were addressed properly in offseason. But I don’t recall in NFL history when a team that won the division and with consecutive 12 wins decided simply out of frustration this was the time to start over.

instead I’d actually recommend riding our horse until it does totally collapse . Meaning missing the playoffs and looking like it’s a team on a serious decline, not a consistent playoff caliber team which struggled or choked in the playoffs.

And our GM and FO moving forward should draft and begin developing a heir apparent so we are in a better position to transition without the possibility of taking a more serious step back with uncertainties of addressing this void of a Franchise QB. If you want to dial into the Cowboys history when they have had an easier transition without several down years we can look at those when we had another QB in place we had some confidence in.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. I recall because that post was what I replied to you initially. In that post, you stated:

Now repeat .....12-5 in three consecutive years. Then go back to the morning of the GB game, were you blaming Jerry at that point, was anyone blaming Jerry .....he wasnt even a consideration. But when you're looking for blame, he comes front and center.

The organization does need a change of emphasis, and a professional GM is a must......,however, the main no.1 reason for that is that Jerry 'loves his own' and gets rinsed by agents.....front and center was the Dak/France and that last contract (particularly the NTC).
My question was driven by curiosity in determining what created an assumption no one blamed Jerry Jones for years decades of less-than-expected results on the morning of the wild card game. I took note of your GM comment but it was not my focus at that time.

I will now make it my focus since you have re-emphasized the reasoning concerning your GM comment. In my opinion, the organization has required a change at GM, starting at maximum, at the end of the 2002 season. I will not fault anyone for suggesting a change should have occurred before that. And while I 100% agree a different qualified general manager is a must, I cannot logically ignore Jones has not stepped down and replaced himself with one during the past 22 years.

Your own reasoning offers one reason why Jones has been a detriment to his own goals for all this time. He has a long history of retaining players 'too long' and purposefully doing so via questionable contractual negotiations.

You will get no argument from me that anything I think means anything to Jones. He is the owner and self-appointed president/general manager of an NFL franchise. Why should he care?

Me? It means everything to me. It began REALLY meaning something to me when the team began eroding in the late 1990's. It firmly became something totally meaningful to me witnessing three straight 5-11 seasons. It did not stop being completely meaningful to me through each sub .500 season. Each .500 season. Each winning regular season. Each playoff season that ended at or beneath the divisional round.

I would argue that you believe three back-to-back-to-back 12-5 seasons undermines any blame other fans should place on Jones' culpability in not managing his team closer to his own stated goals. If that is true, I would re-emphasize that you are wrong. Or that your reasoning is wrong in my case at least.

I do not look at ANY organization of any kind in any field and say, "Oh well. Management is not to blame for substandard results." That ain't me. I certainly do not isolate Jones (or his DNA kids) from my lifelong opinion all organizations, successful or not, are parts of a whole. And I do believe decision-making by managers, especially top management, has tangible and intangible effects, both good and bad, on their organizations from top-to-bottom.

My opinion? My unchanged opinion? Jerral Wayne Jones Sr. has been a negative influence via his football management of his own team since March 29, 1994. His unqualified football management was initially offset by the roster quality and discipline embedded by Jimmy Johnson for a couple more seasons after Johnson's departure. Jones' inflexibly selfish sense of football management has contributed to his team not being comprised with the right combination of coaches and players--combinations that might be possible with the vision of a different qualified general manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.