News: The Price Tag for Zack Martin Continues to Rise

Rayman70

Reaction score
I been bringing up Tyrons bad back on here andeven wanted him moved over to RT to help preserve his career.Glad someone else is thinking with their head and not their heart. Bad backs don't generally go away. Its a crap shoot. I know from my own experience. Lets hope the club has a plan.....as long as it don't involve Chaz Green its a good plan.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think the point some posters are making is that a guard is not a game changer.

Look at it this way, Zach played virtually every down last season and we were barely .500

He obviously cant win games by himself, despite if he is the best in the league. So do you pay him a small fortune or spread it to other areas of the team. That is the argument being made.
You PAY HIM. Here's why. Ask yourself, what would our record be without him? Have you thought in those terms? We may have lost 2 additional games without him.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I been bringing up Tyrons bad back on here andeven wanted him moved over to RT to help preserve his career.Glad someone else is thinking with their head and not their heart. Bad backs don't generally go away. Its a crap shoot. I know from my own experience. Lets hope the club has a plan.....as long as it don't involve Chaz Green its a good plan.
You would think these fans would realize watching Romo decline that once you have a bad back it doesnt get any better and Smith wont have surgery. I mentioned in another form I was in that I wanted Dallas to trade Smith for Aaron Donald two years ago. All that brought was a lot of resistance from the fans who dont understand football and injuries!

Hadenough

Reaction score
You PAY HIM. Here's why. Ask yourself, what would our record be without him? Have you thought in those terms? We may have lost 2 additional games without him.
If you want to pay Martin then just cut Dez and pay Martin. Or cut Witten and they already cut scandrick, use both their salaries to pay Martin. But they dont have to pay him now. Pay him at the end of the year!

Rayman70

Reaction score
If you want to pay Martin then just cut Dez and pay Martin. Or cut Witten and they already cut scandrick, use both their salaries to pay Martin. But they dont have to pay him now. Pay him at the end of the year!
I actually posted on this thread earlier how maybe we should let him play out his rookie deal and then maybe we can tag him...that way we can rent him for nother year...go ahead and draft Hernandez...and see what happens. I like the idea of him playing out his contract. It buys the team time to get out ducks in a row.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Witten may retire anyday now,,Dez is on his way out the door I feel.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You would think these fans would realize watching Romo decline that once you have a bad back it doesnt get any better and Smith wont have surgery. I mentioned in another form I was in that I wanted Dallas to trade Smith for Aaron Donald two years ago. All that brought was a lot of resistance from the fans who dont understand football and injuries!
Watching Romo struggle to stay on the field was tough...fans just use their hearts...without thinking.

aria

Reaction score
Nice now tell us mate what about the DEFENSE? Heard it wins championships!!!!
If you telling me Dak needs 5 no 1 picks (Collins considered no 1 talent) on the line which represents 38% of our Cap number then be rdy for another 10 years of misery!
Maybe we should invest in a new QB that can play without all that expensive Cap and Team killing Off- line!
And to add no offense-line no matter how talented can stop 8 in the box( aka Denver game) we do what then bud?
Well chap, I never said we need 5 no 1’s on the O line, did I?

What about DEFENSE? Heard it wins championships did ya? Then why didn’t the Broncos even make the playoffs last year when they were 3rd overall? How did the Patriots get so far with their below average defense but top notch offense?

I never said we should ignore defense. I did say we shouldn’t let Martin walk. Funny how many of you would pay the same amount of money to a D lineman but not to an offensive lineman. Again, that pro bowler O lineman neutralizes the D lineman making him irrelevant. Let Martin walk and see how much of a difference it makes against some of these teams we play. You think you’re going to pick up some dude in the draft that will come in and stop Snacks, Clowney, Watt, Cox (all of who we play this year) etc? Ha...unlikely, it will be Atlanta all over again.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Football 101..you build teams from the inside out. Its all about clock control and possessing the ball. That's the goal. The winning teams do this through outstanding oline play and decent defense. Without time of possession,your defense gets wore down due to the fact they remain on the field too long. You could have the 1985 Chicago Bears defense,but if they didn't have Walter Payton and one helluva oline,they don't win 8 games. Yes,you need a solid defense,but the top priority should always be to possess the ball more than the other team,which requires a great imposing oline. Look at Philly this year? They were 2 deep with studs across that oline. They imposed their will on New England.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well chap, I never said we need 5 no 1’s on the O line, did I?

What about DEFENSE? Heard it wins championships did ya? Then why didn’t the Broncos even make the playoffs last year when they were 3rd overall? How did the Patriots get so far with their below average defense but top notch offense?

I never said we should ignore defense. I did say we shouldn’t let Martin walk. Funny how many of you would pay the same amount of money to a D lineman but not to an offensive lineman. Again, that pro bowler O lineman neutralizes the D lineman making him irrelevant. Let Martin walk and see how much of a difference it makes against some of these teams we play. You think you’re going to pick up some dude in the draft that will come in and stop Snacks, Clowney, Watt, Cox (all of who we play this year) etc? Ha...unlikely, it will be Atlanta all over again.

Even with the wall of China when they stack with 8 man in the box and your QB cant take advantage of it your wasting good cap money on a over stacked offline....how many more years of failure will you need to come to the realization that without a good to great defense the best we can accomplish is one and DONE!
Where was our offline in Denver,or against the Eagles? Atlanta well lets see now we had Smith out and Dak got sacked a zillion times was it all on the offline? Keep investing in non-play-makers and come back here when Zeke is stuffed and our offense does another 15 Q without a single TD and sell me on the Cap eating Fat Offline we have.....

P.S. Doomsday Defense...used to bring fear now its just a party joke for our opponents!!!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
I know Zack is one of the best G’s in football, but he is a G. Do we want to pay a G, 13 or more million a year. My point. Zack is only as good as the weakest link on the O line, especially when it comes to pass blocking. Look at last year, in general, our pass blocking was mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. I would rather have 5 solid O lineman and solid backups(see NE ) than 3 or 4 studs and below average backups. We spend way more money on our O line, than NE, and our O line was not near as effective as NE’s last year. I think we over spend on our O line starters and this causes us to go cheap in other areas. Personally, I would put more money into our D line. With a dominant D line all it takes is on guy to make a big play. Many a Super Bowl have been won by dominant D line play!! Jerry values, the SHOW, so we may never see a dominant D around here.

Guards are just as important. Martin is the best OL we have and one of the best in the league. For any of the OL positions. But if you don't think G is that important and easily replaceable, I'd like you to see this OL if you replaced Martin with even an average G. It won't be pretty.

aria

Reaction score
Even with the wall of China when they stack with 8 man in the box and your QB cant take advantage of it your wasting good cap money on a over stacked offline....how many more years of failure will you need to come to the realization that without a good to great defense the best we can accomplish is one and DONE!
Where was our offline in Denver,or against the Eagles? Atlanta well lets see now we had Smith out and Dak got sacked a zillion times was it all on the offline? Keep investing in non-play-makers and come back here when Zeke is stuffed and our offense does another 15 Q without a single TD and sell me on the Cap eating Fat Offline we have.....

P.S. Doomsday Defense...used to bring fear now its just a party joke for our opponents!!!
“Defense wins championships” is one of the most misleading biggest crock of dung sayings in the game of football. You can thank Bear Bryant for that.

Look at the stats, it’s much closer than most would assume. Better defenses have won more SB’s by a game or two which could have gone either way due to missed FG’s, dropped passes, etc. Great offenses and great defenses win championships. By your logic, the Patriots had no business being in the SB last year, let alone be competitive, with their 29th ranked defense or whatever it was.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Defense wins championships” is one of the most misleading biggest crock of dung sayings in the game of football. You can thank Bear Bryant for that.

Look at the stats, it’s much closer than most would assume. Better defenses have won more SB’s by a game or two which could have gone either way due to missed FG’s, dropped passes, etc. Great offenses and great defenses win championships. By your logic, the Patriots had no business being in the SB last year, let alone be competitive, with their 29th ranked defense or whatever it was.

It was a defensive play that one the big one for the Eagles and Dak is no Tom Brady. Without any defensive presence or better said with our poor talented defense expect the same old same old....and please dont tell me we're growing thru the draft there are a lot of Dead bodies the last 3 years to throw that argument out the window.....such as Byron,Gregory,Jaylon,and Taco's anyone?

Anyway pay Martin his due not saying hes not worth it just explaining when you have many holes elsewhere he's a luxury that at this point we cannot afford!

P.S. Bob Lilly,Randy White,Harvey Martin,Charles Haley, Dion Sanders, D-Ware, Leon Lett, Ken Norton, the Doomsday is gone and seems it won't be back for a longggg time!

Last edited:

aria

Reaction score
It was a defensive play that one the big one for the Eagles and Dak is no Tom Brady. Without any defensive presence or better said with our poor talented defense expect the same old same old....and please dont tell me we're growing thru the draft there are a lot of Dead bodies the last 3 years to throw that argument out the window.....such as Byron,Gregory,Jaylon,and Taco's anyone?

Anyway pay Martin his due not saying hes not worth it just explaining when you have many holes elsewhere he's a luxury that at this point we cannot afford!

P.S. Bob Lilly,Randy White,Harvey Martin,Charles Haley, Dion Sanders, D-Ware, Leon Lett, Ken Norton, the Doomsday is gone and seems it won't be back for a longggg time!
Hmmmm...I actually agree with some of what you said. First though, let’s put this “defense wins championships” to rest. Yeah, a defensive play won this last SB and one defensive play also helped the Pats beat the Seahawks in the SB but that was due to a horrendous play call. Point is, it’s about even between defense and offense.

I’ve never stated nor will I argue that we can build through the draft but it’s a starting point. Our defense definitely needs help but I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it seem. We were number 1 against the run just two years ago. We have a young secondary that may or may not work out, I’m not sold on them just because they showed improvement in the 2nd half of the season (I would say that about any player(s).

I get what you’re saying about Martin being expensive but that’s where our inept FO needs to make it work by cutting some players or reducing salaries (Dez and Witten come to mind). We need an O line, just as much and if not more, than a D line considering our current personnel on offense.

Carter

Reaction score
Im not paying a Guard 10+ a year at all.

Cant have all the Cap Space bound in the O-Line.

If he cant sign a Team friendly deal trade him or have him for two more years and draft his replacement by than.

CPanther95

Reaction score
If he's not worth signing to a long term deal, then he wasn't worth wasting a 1st round pick on. The only way you can justify spending a 1st round pick on a Guard is if you expect him to be an All-Pro for at least a decade on your team.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmmmm...I actually agree with some of what you said. First though, let’s put this “defense wins championships” to rest. Yeah, a defensive play won this last SB and one defensive play also helped the Pats beat the Seahawks in the SB but that was due to a horrendous play call. Point is, it’s about even between defense and offense.

I’ve never stated nor will I argue that we can build through the draft but it’s a starting point. Our defense definitely needs help but I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it seem. We were number 1 against the run just two years ago. We have a young secondary that may or may not work out, I’m not sold on them just because they showed improvement in the 2nd half of the season (I would say that about any player(s).

I get what you’re saying about Martin being expensive but that’s where our inept FO needs to make it work by cutting some players or reducing salaries (Dez and Witten come to mind). We need an O line, just as much and if not more, than a D line considering our current personnel on offense.

As much as i would like to agree with you on our defense i gotta say its bad real bad and when Lee goes out it gets atrocious...we have invested most of our Cap monies on the offense and this formula at best will lead to another one and done season...this is the Best scenario....the worse if our offense sputters like last season is a top 5 pick in the draft .....till this team is balanced and someone in the FO pays some TLC to the Defense expect the above ....

aria

Reaction score
As much as i would like to agree with you on our defense i gotta say its bad real bad and when Lee goes out it gets atrocious...we have invested most of our Cap monies on the offense and this formula at best will lead to another one and done season...this is the Best scenario....the worse if our offense sputters like last season is a top 5 pick in the draft .....till this team is balanced and someone in the FO pays some TLC to the Defense expect the above ....
No doubt the team is a mess and really has never been properly balanced in recent years. Can’t argue with our LB situation, I think Hitchins will be missed more than most realize but hopefully I’m wrong. They really need to cut some of the dead weight out of this offense to free up more money.

khiladi

Reaction score
He should bounce now if he has the chance... This team has no direction...