News: The Price Tag for Zack Martin Continues to Rise

Rayman70

Reaction score
My thing is...lets keep Martin..let him play out his rookie deal then tag him..and go ahead and draft Hernandez. Its the best of both worlds for a short time.

cds99

Reaction score
To expensive, just trade him to Seattle for Earl Thomas and their first round draft pick this year. Then draft Isaiah Wynn and Will Hernandez at 18 and 19. Both guard spots locked up for 4 years with a fifth year option for cheap. Earl Thomas has the FS positon locked down and you can pay him because you don't have to pay Martin. Then you can worry about everything else knowing your offensive line is rock steady.

The scary part about Jerry Jones is I could honestly see something along the lines of this playing out. Zach Martin is the stud of his position league wide and will by far be the highest paid at Guard.

There is an odd reason Dallas hasn't already locked him up on a long term deal. They have personnel that knows free agency drives position prices up every year, why wait? The guy is great and a cornerstone at Guard. All I say is I wouldn't be surprised, #HERSCHELWALKERTRADE

CCBoy

Reaction score
The scary part about Jerry Jones is I could honestly see something along the lines of this playing out. Zach Martin is the stud of his position league wide and will by far be the highest paid at Guard.

There is an odd reason Dallas hasn't already locked him up on a long term deal. They have personnel that knows free agency drives position prices up every year, why wait? The guy is great and a cornerstone at Guard. All I say is I wouldn't be surprised, #HERSCHELWALKERTRADE

Start asking around Indianapolis...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Indy and Cleveland would be the 2 teams I would be calling. But then again..Im not willing to give away Martin for any price pretty much. Guys like him are hard enough to find.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I know Zack is one of the best G’s in football, but he is a G. Do we want to pay a G, 13 or more million a year. My point. Zack is only as good as the weakest link on the O line, especially when it comes to pass blocking. Look at last year, in general, our pass blocking was mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. I would rather have 5 solid O lineman and solid backups(see NE ) than 3 or 4 studs and below average backups. We spend way more money on our O line, than NE, and our O line was not near as effective as NE’s last year. I think we over spend on our O line starters and this causes us to go cheap in other areas. Personally, I would put more money into our D line. With a dominant D line all it takes is on guy to make a big play. Many a Super Bowl have been won by dominant D line play!! Jerry values, the SHOW, so we may never see a dominant D around here.
With Tyron's iffy back you want to shore up the middle of the line.

Rayman70

Reaction score
With Tyron's iffy back you want to shore up the middle of the line.
that's right. We forget Tyron has issues. That's why I think we are more in the market for a tackle than we think. We need 2 actually.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Some of you don't want to pay top tier free agents to come to Dallas, now some of y'all don't want to pay our best players to stay in Dallas. What's the plan, and who do you want to pay?
Lot of people use to getting garbage and then putting a spin on it saying this went wrong,that went wrong...WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR!!! We will sign a few people and some will swear we just got a steal in FA!!! Unfortunately we have grown accustomed too it.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Amazing isnt it.

It reminds me of the drama around Anthony Hitchens. People said he was average, he's a bum, we can draft a guy just like him. Then KC gives him 9 million a year and oh my God, now he's this stud we can't afford to lose.

People would lose their minds if they saw what Martin would get on the open market.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It reminds me of the drama around Anthony Hitchens. People said he was average, he's a bum, we can draft a guy just like him. Then KC gives him 9 million a year and oh my God, now he's this stud we can't afford to lose.

People would lose their minds if they saw what Martin would get on the open market.
BINGO. We gonna find out how valuable Hitch was this year. One of those players that led by example...never a problem child on or off the field.A bit of an old school LB.

aria

Reaction score
and to just think the great wall of dallas didn't even have a first round pick on it and they won three superbowls in four years and we have three first round picks and still cant make one deep playoff run
Not even a close comparison. Dak is no Aikman. Dez is no Irvin. Defenses aren’t the same nor are the coaches or even the game itself. About the only similarity is Zeke and Smith may be close.

Start skimping on the O line and watch this offense crumble. Picking Zeke as high as we did will have been a complete waste. Dak will struggle even more. Receivers will be wasted because Dak won’t have time to throw. No O line, you can’t run the ball efffectively. Can’t run the ball effectively you won’t be able to set up PAP effectively. The list goes on and on.

I think the O line is probably the most under valued position in the game and with good skill players for certain positions in short supply, we’re starting to see how much teams value them with these contracts (rightfully so).

cern

Reaction score
Those who think replacing an outstanding guard only have to consider the loss of Ron Leary last year. Trench warriors are in big demand. That's why their salaries are rising yearly.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even a close comparison. Dak is no Aikman. Dez is no Irvin. Defenses aren’t the same nor are the coaches or even the game itself. About the only similarity is Zeke and Smith may be close.

Start skimping on the O line and watch this offense crumble. Picking Zeke as high as we did will have been a complete waste. Dak will struggle even more. Receivers will be wasted because Dak won’t have time to throw. No O line, you can’t run the ball efffectively. Can’t run the ball effectively you won’t be able to set up PAP effectively. The list goes on and on.

I think the O line is probably the most under valued position in the game and with good skill players for certain positions in short supply, we’re starting to see how much teams value them with these contracts (rightfully so).

Nice now tell us mate what about the DEFENSE? Heard it wins championships!!!!
If you telling me Dak needs 5 no 1 picks (Collins considered no 1 talent) on the line which represents 38% of our Cap number then be rdy for another 10 years of misery!
Maybe we should invest in a new QB that can play without all that expensive Cap and Team killing Off- line!
And to add no offense-line no matter how talented can stop 8 in the box( aka Denver game) we do what then bud?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Martin may be the best olineman in the NFL, period. A close second would be Fred beard. We are truly blessed. That said,why on EARTH would we want to trade him and weaken our strongest unit? Makes no sense in that scenario. Even for 3 future 1st round picks I would have to think real hard about it.

I think the point some posters are making is that a guard is not a game changer.

Look at it this way, Zach played virtually every down last season and we were barely .500

He obviously cant win games by himself, despite if he is the best in the league. So do you pay him a small fortune or spread it to other areas of the team. That is the argument being made.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Some of you don't want to pay top tier free agents to come to Dallas, now some of y'all don't want to pay our best players to stay in Dallas. What's the plan, and who do you want to pay?
Its not about the best players its about spending too much money on the oline. How about Dallas just let Martin play out his contract and in the mean time find a way to trade Tyron Smith because he has seen better days and will never be the same with his bad back. If they cant trade him cut him and NOW and eat the salary cap hit this year and get rid of this albatross of a contract if they dont plan on being active in FA. If they dont cut him and take a cap hit they should sign Zac Brown and Donatari Poe. They should of gone after Michael Crabtree and Tyrann Mathieu! They could of let Dez go and paid two guys with that salary. Crabtree and Mathieu are each making about 7 mil a season!