The problem is simple

GenoT

Reaction score
What are the tangible negative things he’s doing? NFL executives said in the offseason this was a top 5 roster.

We know players want to play here.

They’re willing to spend money to keep their own guys and even brought in outside guys this year like Cobb and Quinn.

Yes he’s the constant since 1996 but multiple teams have asked to hire Will McClay as GM and he wouldn’t stay if he didn’t have real power.
Maybe a top 5 roster, but definitely an average HC.

Players wanna play here because Jerry is a “players owner”, Garrett doesn’t have the power to cut anyone unilaterally and the facilities (practice and game) are the best in the league, while the medical/training staff are certainly among the best.

Yeah, Jerry will pay to keep guys..and then will watch them underachieve after they’ve gotten a big payday.

Unless somebody offered Will McClay silly money and a guaranteed contract, he’s not going anywhere. Jerry loves W-Mc, Stephen respects him and works well with him, he’s obviously happy with his paycheck and — most importantly — he’s got pretty much a lifetime job here if he wants it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
One word: CULTURE.

When there’s no accountability at the top of an organization for repeated failure or mediocrity, it permeates the entire organization. This team is cursed with bad leadership. They have enough talent to win, but the players are being failed by those who “lead” this organization.

This organization is also permeated with nepotism. The owner bought his GM position. Any other GM would have been fired long ago. This organization run by this owner has a playoff record that literally speaks for itself. There is ZERO EXCUSE for this team to not have played better for the last 24 years.

Jerry is THE PROBLEM.
The GMs job is to accumulate talent. Will McClay essentially took over that role after the Johnny Mansfield draft. Jerry just wants the “title” for ego sake and also probably because taking it away might be a bad business decision in his eyes with sponsors who think it’d be a sign he’s stepping away from the organizations day to day roles.

I can’t explain why the team hasn’t won more. Yes the culture under Wade was terrible. But the only former players that speak out against Garretts culture are ones we cut and haven’t been picked up by anyone else (Dez, Jesse Holley. Barry Church).

Say what you want about Wittens skills but he is a true leader and great person. After being out of football and getting to go see other locker rooms why would he willingly come back to the team if the culture was so bad?

It’s just bad luck IMO. Like the Dodgers in baseball or the Red Sox for years. The Celtics went awhile without winning in basketball.

I’d still rather have the most talent in the league and just need to find the right coach to get over the top than to be the Lions and not even be able to get talent.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry's just good enough as a GM to build an 8-8 team. That's where we end up when he's in charge.
And we have one of the best talent evaluators in the league who continues to provide good players for the most uncreative and uninspiring HCs in the league. We now have 12-4 talent with a 6-10 HC. Maybe that translates to 8-8.

kskboys

Reaction score
The GMs job is to accumulate talent. Will McClay essentially took over that role after the Johnny Mansfield draft. Jerry just wants the “title” for ego sake and also probably because taking it away might be a bad business decision in his eyes with sponsors who think it’d be a sign he’s stepping away from the organizations day to day roles.

I can’t explain why the team hasn’t won more. Yes the culture under Wade was terrible. But the only former players that speak out against Garretts culture are ones we cut and haven’t been picked up by anyone else (Dez, Jesse Holley. Barry Church).

Say what you want about Wittens skills but he is a true leader and great person. After being out of football and getting to go see other locker rooms why would he willingly come back to the team if the culture was so bad?

It’s just bad luck IMO. Like the Dodgers in baseball or the Red Sox for years. The Celtics went awhile without winning in basketball.

I’d still rather have the most talent in the league and just need to find the right coach to get over the top than to be the Lions and not even be able to get talent.
A GM's job is to put a super bowl quality team on the field. Accumulating talent is a different matter. Jerry believes that's all it takes, and he's been proven way wrong. So, no, a GM's job is not just to accumulate talent.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It’s just bad luck IMO.” I promise you that’s exactly what Jerry thinks. Just bad luck at the craps table. Good leaders know why they’re not winning because they look in the mirror first.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
Weaknesses at DT and S that keep derailing us and a refusal to address them w/ other than cheap assets.

Lack of understanding of the type of players you need to put around/with other players to maximize talent.

Complete refusal to hire competent HC's.

Poor player development.

Undermining HC's.

Poor player evaluations and assessments.

In spite of all you listed let’s just do the first one and see what happens. It’s like **** give me that at least.....please

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can sell my tickets on average for about three times their face value but I never do. I’m a gotdang addict and go every home game win or lose. It is what it is and hopefully they manage to stumble their way into a super bowl and win before I croak lol
As long as Jerry keeps doing what he’s doing, “stumbling their way to a SB” is the only hope. Good teams don’t use hope as a strategy.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
A GM's job is to put a super bowl quality team on the field. Accumulating talent is a different matter. Jerry believes that's all it takes, and he's been proven way wrong. So, no, a GM's job is not just to accumulate talent.
Their lack of interest in guys like Antonio Brown since the failed Greg Hardy experience shows they’re now factoring team chemistry into the equation.

My major issue with how they build the team is believing you don’t need a dominant 1T and can find them at Walmart.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
You (we) have to hope Jerry's recent statements about his own mortality is the motivation he needs to get a name-coach. One capable of managing the players despite Jerry hanging over him. I know someone who knows about a meeting that Jerry and Stephen had with Jon Gruden a few years back (Dan Patrick confirms this as well) when they considered moving on from Garrett. The issue was the control Gruden wanted. Allegedly, Stephen was pushing to let Gruden have that authority. Garrett turned things around and Jerry held off Stephen.

There's a also been a ton of talk about our supposed interest in Lincoln Riley. We don't do a really good job of keeping things secret (think draft season), so my guess is there's some substance to that. Lincoln is not stupid and more importantly, neither is his agent. They know exactly who Jerry is. Lincoln will have some contractually obligated authority if he comes here.

I believe there was also talk of Riley last draft. I have a hard time believing anyone can argue jerry for control.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
We've had the chances and keep ignoring them.

A 5th for a snack let’s see how many yards Zeke gets up the middle. Remember when GB had that huge arse tree stump in the middle, a thing of beauty. Nope not us let’s try and get up the field as quick as possible and watch everyone run by lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
Their lack of interest in guys like Antonio Brown since the failed Greg Hardy experience shows they’re now factoring team chemistry into the equation.

My major issue with how they build the team is believing you don’t need a dominant 1T and can find them at Walmart.
That's a big part of it.

There are other aspects, but man, that is the gift that keeps on giving. We've been inconsistent against the run since Tuna left.

ksadler1

Reaction score
The one thing Jerry can never take from any of us without our consent is our money.

Yup, and as long as people keep spending their hard earned $$ on this crappy product there's no reason for Jerry to change. Problem is, Jerry makes money hand over fist even without us buying the crappy Cowboys product...

kskboys

Reaction score
A 5th for a snack let’s see how many yards Zeke gets up the middle. Remember when GB had that huge arse tree stump in the middle, a thing of beauty. Nope not us let’s try and get up the field as quick as possible and watch everyone run by lol.
BJ Raji was absolutely instrumental in GB's lone super bowl win. He caused two picks early in that super bowl, one a pick 6. Pack won by 6. Sided by Cullen Jenkins, that was the only time I'm aware of that GB had a top 5 D. 2nd in points. When they let Cullen walk after the season, they were not the same.

Zordon

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the Jones grandkid currently playing QB at Arkansas. Supposedly he's a quiet, humble kid. Hopefully he'll get us a championship before we're dead. I have no faith in dumb and dumber (Stephen and Jerry Jr).

SoBlue128

Reaction score
BJ Raji was absolutely instrumental in GB's lone super bowl win. He caused two picks early in that super bowl, one a pick 6. Pack won by 6. Sided by Cullen Jenkins, that was the only time I'm aware of that GB had a top 5 D. 2nd in points. When they let Cullen walk after the season, they were not the same.

It’s mind boggling it really is. I can’t wrap my head around the stubbornness of not addressing it.