The reason Dak is a good QB

Billyd

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think you may be giving Jones, Garrett and even the media too much credit. Other factors have influenced perception. For example, some people have had a long-standing negative opinion of Romo, of his on-field performance, and his injury history. These considerations obscure Romo's strengths and magnified desired alternative(s). Jones and Garrett had little or zero to do with any manipulation of perception in that regard. That was self-manifested by individuals themselves.

IDN. I agree about Romos criticism at the hands of older fans originally and other teams fans along with the Northeast media..I know that quite well from my time in other nfc east forums..

The idea thata udfa was the starting qb of the Dallas Cowboys was blasphemy to dallas fans and ESPN!

THE idea that they didnt try to do damage control on Romo and dez though is real..Maybe not in the original idea of the physical abilities but in their non committal statements and inability to make firm decisions. I guess people manipulate themselves with unknown paranoia...

I cant accept fans that dont explore the possible reasons..The truth is there especially, if like you mentioned being a student of human behavior!

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EAST DALLAS i think JJ did that, But I also think that, if you are worried about Romos health you dont swan song at philly..Maybe Romo talked him into it.Either way its inconsistent with your press conferences..
Careful. You may allow illogic to manipulate you. :p

The long running hypothesis has been that one reason why the front office and Garrett would not allow Romo was to shield him from injury. Jones played football. So did Garrett.

So have some members of the media and football fans also but I digress. :)

My point is anyone knowledgeable about the sport of football knows without question that any player can suffer temporary injury or permanent injury or worse every single time they step on a field. And yet, some of the same individuals (Jones or whoever) are willing to make the argument that Romo could not safely play after he was medically cleared BUT it was safe for him to play against Philadelphia. Sure. The fallacy validation is "Well Romo gets hurt sneezing." The sheer lack of logical context is mindboggling.

So, no, and I get the feeling you know this already, but Romo should not have been able to talk anyone, much less Garrett, into stepping on a football field ever again in a Cowboys uniform IF he was prevented from getting on the field in October because of some manufactured weak-minded phobia. It did not make sense then. It does not make sense now. It will never make sense ever. The hypothesis may have been used by Jones, Garrett, media, fans, etc., as one reason explaining the premature yet permanent change at quarterback but it holds no water whatsoever. Everyone wants championship winning football but there are very few individuals that _____________ (fill in the blank).

Billyd

Reaction score
Back to Dak..the real issue is the oline. It all starts there..With the off season moves, hopefully a centralized effort to run the ball effectively by executing, early, often, with precision and dynamically different, will put away fans fears of last yearz mess..

There is depth across the board so Injuries are mitigated..The Wr and Tens are the main changes. HOW Linehan and Garret choose to use the tools we wont know for a bit..Either will the competition in the Nfl..

Thats what im hoping!

Billyd

Reaction score
Careful. You may allow illogic to manipulate you. :p

The long running hypothesis has been that one reason why the front office and Garrett would not allow Romo was to shield him from injury. Jones played football. So did Garrett.

So have some members of the media and football fans also but I digress. :)

My point is anyone knowledgeable about the sport of football knows without question that any player can suffer temporary injury or permanent injury or worse every single time they step on a field. And yet, some of the same individuals (Jones or whoever) are willing to make the argument that Romo could not safely play after he was medically cleared BUT it was safe for him to play against Philadelphia. Sure. The fallacy validation is "Well Romo gets hurt sneezing." The sheer lack of logical context is mindboggling.

So, no, and I get the feeling you know this already, but Romo should not have been able to talk anyone, much less Garrett, into stepping on a football field ever again in a Cowboys uniform IF he was prevented from getting on the field in October because of some manufactured weak-minded phobia. It did not make sense then. It does not make sense now. It will never make sense ever. The hypothesis may have been used by Jones, Garrett, media, fans, etc., as one reason explaining the premature yet permanent change at quarterback but it holds no water whatsoever. Everyone wants championship winning football but there are very few individuals that _____________ (fill in the blank).

No question..and aint nobody stepping forward to Give us the real picture either..Im sure nojoy in these decisions, But Its distasteful for them to even think we are too simple to put this together...I came to the conclusion of manipulation based upon fans with zero idea that they should be more patient with Dak, and in earlier decisions that could affect overall effectiveness at positions..Rebuilds now are ongoing..If the Cowboys defense Decades!! Lolol

Billyd

Reaction score
EAST DALLAS you know Stephen is Under the gun..First two moves into free agency is Flemming and The other Martin..In other words he covering his *** coz not covering for Leary gonna fall back on him anyway..Thank god they took Conner..But You get my drift. LAST YEAR a direct result of drafting badly at guard for Cruz, and not covering the loss of Leary, By drafting one last year.. This all becomes Stephens mess..Then Like a owner crying ABOUT ROI, Force feeds the player into the lineup..

Bottom line...Sorry decisions by the front office(Stephen) at guard, depth from 2015 draft cause a shitestorm last year, and its one reach at 3 in 2015 that screws the pooch!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question..and aint nobody stepping forward to Give us the real picture either..Im sure nojoy in these decisions, But Its distasteful for them to even think we are too simple to put this together...I came to the conclusion of manipulation based upon fans with zero idea that they should be more patient with Dak, and in earlier decisions that could affect overall effectiveness at positions..Rebuilds now are ongoing..If the Cowboys defense Decades!! Lolol
In my opinion, Jones and Garrett are not obligated to explain their reasoning. Teams make personnel decisions all the time. They can leave citing ludicrous assumptions to the ESPN, NFL Network and sports talk shows of the world. They excel at nonsense. What I would ask of both gentlemen is doing everything necessary to make certain they do everything they can to support Prescott and his teammates' success for the next decade, because I think that is exactly the type of investment both (more Jones than Garrett though) men made in their minds in October 2016. And I also think that is exactly what fans should hope and expect from the franchise as well unless we see the team either draft a first or second round quarterback in the next five years or so.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks, I thought I stated something similar? All 22 players and however many coaches played their part. But since the QB is the head of the offense
,,,you may be placing a disproportionate amount of criticism or blame on the quarterback. That commonly happens on CowboysZone.

InTheZone

Reaction score
,,,you may be placing a disproportionate amount of criticism or blame on the quarterback. That commonly happens on CowboysZone.
That response wasn't complete as I meant to edit it out completely in response to someone else, but I never just blame anyone without reason. I clearly stated the coaching was the primary issue, yet I get more people arguing the fact that I included Dak as part of the problem.

Billyd

Reaction score
I have criticized Dak as hard as anybody..More so fans,who dont really take the time to consider the source..As much as fans want a top 10 defense, The machine is designed to be a good defense is a great offense.

In the Cowboys offensive scheme, the best strategy is to run the ball, keep down and distance manageable, set up the play action, and patiently turn the chains until the defense makes a mistake, or the offense grinds you in the redzone..

I DONT really subscribe to chunking the ball 40 yards.. The offense forces you to make decisions..Either pull a safety up, or keep it defending the pass...

It seems like a lack of patience was pervasive last year..That and the previous items mentioned..in other words Somebody starts whinning that the Cowboys are not throwing downfield enough..Then we pass too much and go three or two series and out...Dont listen to outside sources tell you about being more successfull..Execute your game l
Plan and be aware of when the defense makes mistakes.

Billyd

Reaction score
YES, last year too many erroneous coaching errors..Started at guard, > manifested the rest of the offense!

Billyd

Reaction score
In my opinion, Jones and Garrett are not obligated to explain their reasoning. Teams make personnel decisions all the time. They can leave citing ludicrous assumptions to the ESPN, NFL Network and sports talk shows of the world. They excel at nonsense. What I would ask of both gentlemen is doing everything necessary to make certain they do everything they can to support Prescott and his teammates' success for the next decade, because I think that is exactly the type of investment both (more Jones than Garrett though) men made in their minds in October 2016. And I also think that is exactly what fans should hope and expect from the franchise as well unless we see the team either draft a first or second round quarterback in the next five years or so.

Something here though
.I agree its not their job to explain their decisions, but when a large portion of the coaching staffs heads are cut off, because of a bad draft pick from three years ago, and the gm is most likely responsible, further someone demands Roi and ignores a head coaches opinion(I feel like Garrett would know)..To Start a incompetent like Green at guard? I think we need to know..lolol

Then Garrett is taking one for the team..Again.. And the base goes on!

davidariust24

Reaction score
He already proved he plays better without a star wideout and spreads the ball around successfully when concentrated on various targets.

Imo what we have now at the position without dez could be 2x better than what we had when dez was injured and Dak balled out.

Dez injured:

-twill (no hands, no speed)
-beasley (limited speed, small, possession only)
-butler (limited speed, one trick pony, disappears)

^^^^^Still Dak made things happen with them

Dez cut:

-twill (same)
-beasly (same)
-austin (good speed, hands, good route runner)
-Gallup (best route runner, best hands, potential)
-thompson (a faster butler, better skills)

^^^^^Dak will do 2x better with the add-on's

I believe the better route runners along with better hands wideouts will really benefit Dak greatly, and limit the interceptions. Dak will also have decent timing WR's and should be able to put the ball where he wants it to be.

Dak will prove the haters wrong, book it.

Dak-friendly 2018

:flagwave:
:grin:
One thing I can say about Dak is he has great intangibles. His arm is good not great. He's got mobility. . There is a lot to like. In our offense he can be great. I really think so. He needs to expand his game. This is the problem to really expand your game you have to take chances and do things you don't normally do. Maybe is how or when you do something. He has to figure it out. Thats why slot of QBs suffer a sophmore
He already proved he plays better without a star wideout and spreads the ball around successfully when concentrated on various targets.

Imo what we have now at the position without dez could be 2x better than what we had when dez was injured and Dak balled out.

Dez injured:

Dez cut:

-twill (same)
-beasly (same)

I believe the better route runners along with better hands wideouts will really benefit Dak greatly, and limit the interceptions. Dak will also have decent timing WR's and should be able to put the ball where he wants it to be.

Dak-friendly 2018

davidariust24

Reaction score
Dak is a good qbs with a good not great arm. He has good mobility. He has great intangibles. He is a great worker. His best asset is his weakness. He is too safe. The reason qbs go through slumps in their second seasons is because they want to grow and try new things. So that they won't be limited and defenses can figure their tendencies. Dak is going to have to try things in these practices to help his game grow. It could be how he throws or when . He may need to communicate how and when he ia going to throw to a receiver when this is happening. Or that. This is a great opportunity for him. These receivers are new to the team via free agency draft or just being on the practice squad and not playing a regular season game. Dak can sort of mold them into what he wants. Tom Brady has told his receivers when this happens and you run this route turn around earlier I think it was when a team blitzes he said that. Dak can puts his stamp on this group by knowing what to expect and being prepared and leading and instructing the receivers and tightends . If dak leads this team to the playoffs alone he is going to get paid because of the youth he is leading. Dak needs to win and get to the post season and then he'll be in consideration of being great

Wood

Reaction score

Dez injured:

Dez cut:

-twill (same)
-beasly (same)

Dak-friendly 2018

In all of my years of watching cowboys, I have never seen few fans work so hard to convince fan base that QB is really good. Personally, I think fans will make their decisions based on what they see this year.