The reason Dak is a good QB

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
In all of my years of watching cowboys, I have never seen few fans work so hard to convince fan base that QB is really good. Personally, I think fans will make their decisions based on what they see this year.

Actually some have already made their decision that he is crap based on 2017

:thumbup:

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
Sorry buddy but the way the cowboys hold on to players and coaches you will be disturbingly disappointed for years to come.

Might as well pop open your tiny bottle of poison and finish the job. Its gonna be a while.

In dak we trust:starspin:

Lol dude let's examine this here Stephen Jones jr or Dak ? Play holder Dak will not win out. In honest competition to the guys on the roster much less the owners grandson. Take off your blinders dude.

If you trust in Dak.....well enough said about you !

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
Simply cruel about the Dez man how soon we forget and for who and what....Dak a Tim Tebow talented level QB who parasites off of Zeke and our 300 million Offline....say it isn't so Dez say it isn't so........and dang not even a thank you from Dak for having Dez break up at least 8-10 interceptions last season as Daks as accurate as a drunk man behind the wheel......

Lol...accurate as a drunk man... that's not fair to Dak he's not that accurate

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched the senior bowl to see Wentz because we still had a shot at him at the time. I was more impressed with the kid Prescott than Wentz. Which at the time was a letdown, but I remember thinking Dak has the "IT" factor.
Romo was a backup for over 3 years and yet we are ready to throw Prescott under the bus after 2 really good years. Sometimes I just don't get Cowboy fans.
Excellent point. I have witnessed all the great Cowboy QBs come and go ever since Dallas first season with LeBaron. They weren't so good at first either. Sometimes, we all have expectations of perfection after too many close but no cigar years years of frustration and futility. Dallas had to resort to the third team QB in preseason of 2016 for crying out loud!
Dak didn't get to hold the clipboard and learn the ropes before being thrown in the river.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New laptop keyboard is killing me... :banghead:
To finish, the OC had to adjust the offensive passing system on the fly and danged if they didn't almost make the NFCCG!
I was a Romo backer, but not a Dak hater. I am foremost a Cowboy team backer and went with the new direction. It mostly worked despite the rook QB and the force planning around a diminishing # 1 receiver and aging TE. 2017 was partly a fluke if for no other reason than injuries to key players, EZE's suspension, and various other distractions. Dak will not win or lose the season - neither will Zeke, Zach, or Lee. The team is the thing. It took a major hit last year and came out with a new direction.
They deserve a look see.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Lol dude let's examine this here Stephen Jones jr or Dak ? Play holder Dak will not win out. In honest competition to the guys on the roster much less the owners grandson. Take off your blinders dude.

If you trust in Dak.....well enough said about you !

Even if I take off my blinders the cowboys will still be the cowboys.

20 plus years and counting!

JBond

Reaction score
right now we really don't know for sure what kind of qb dak is and if the team don't win this year he will pay the price
Most pre draft stuff compared him to Alex Smith. I believe his ceiling is higher. He needs high quality coaching. Hope the Boys do not regret going cheap for a qb coach that has done nothing and couldn't beat out Prescott.

817Gill

Reaction score
Because they were defending an unpopular opinion?

The Raiders defensive coordinator did an interview about shifting extra coverage to Dez.

And at a minimum Dez made other player's jobs easier just by virtue of taking on the other teams best corner.

Just a silly argument.
Exactly why in my first comment regarding the double team I specifically mentioned teams like Green Bay and Oakland who had below average to average corners and still had to respect 88. Obviously San Fran is gonna double, but how often do you get to play soft secondaries like those?

Do you know how many above average to elite CB's we played last year? There's a guy in our division that plays in New York that Dez would love to be teammates with because twice a year he makes him look like he should retire. Do you not remember Aqib and Cliff Harris telling the reporters their game plan was to load the box and challenge guys 1v1 on the outside? Didn't that kinda become the narrative for how to stop the Cowboys O?

If Dez was getting the double teams he used to, and Cole was getting the bracket, and there's 8/9 men in the box then wouldn't that leave someone open always? The lack of Dez double teams literally directly correlate with the offensive struggles. Heck, if he could beat above average corners 1 on 1 like he used to then the issues with the offense wouldn't exist.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Exactly why in my first comment regarding the double team I specifically mentioned teams like Green Bay and Oakland who had below average to average corners and still had to respect 88. Obviously San Fran is gonna double, but how often do you get to play soft secondaries like those?

Do you know how many above average to elite CB's we played last year? There's a guy in our division that plays in New York that Dez would love to be teammates with because twice a year he makes him look like he should retire. Do you not remember Aqib and Cliff Harris telling the reporters their game plan was to load the box and challenge guys 1v1 on the outside? Didn't that kinda become the narrative for how to stop the Cowboys O?

If Dez was getting the double teams he used to, and Cole was getting the bracket, and there's 8/9 men in the box then wouldn't that leave someone open always? The lack of Dez double teams literally directly correlate with the offensive struggles. Heck, if he could beat above average corners 1 on 1 like he used to then the issues with the offense wouldn't exist.
So now that we don't have Dez do those other teams pack their CBs away for our game? Or now does Aqib and Harris get to defend Hurns and Terrance? There is a cascading effect everyone ignores.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He already proved he plays better without a star wideout and spreads the ball around successfully when concentrated on various targets.

Imo what we have now at the position without dez could be 2x better than what we had when dez was injured and Dak balled out.

Dez injured:

-twill (no hands, no speed)
-beasley (limited speed, small, possession only)
-butler (limited speed, one trick pony, disappears)

^^^^^Still Dak made things happen with them

Dez cut:

-twill (same)
-beasly (same)
-austin (good speed, hands, good route runner)
-Gallup (best route runner, best hands, potential)
-thompson (a faster butler, better skills)

^^^^^Dak will do 2x better with the add-on's

I believe the better route runners along with better hands wideouts will really benefit Dak greatly, and limit the interceptions. Dak will also have decent timing WR's and should be able to put the ball where he wants it to be.

Dak will prove the haters wrong, book it.

Dak-friendly 2018

:flagwave:
:grin:

Dak has a strong arm...

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Most pre draft stuff compared him to Alex Smith. I believe his ceiling is higher. He needs high quality coaching. Hope the Boys do not regret going cheap for a qb coach that has done nothing and couldn't beat out Prescott.
if Dak's ceiling is alex smith then with out really good coaching and a really good team around him not sure the cowboys will ever be a true superbowl contender

JBond

Reaction score
if Dak's ceiling is alex smith then with out really good coaching and a really good team around him not sure the cowboys will ever be a true superbowl contender
I hope we find out before we destroy the cap with a massive contract.

817Gill

Reaction score
So now that we don't have Dez do those other teams pack their CBs away for our game? Or now does Aqib and Harris get to defend Hurns and Terrance? There is a cascading effect everyone ignores.
Well, it's not that simple. The nature of Dez's strengths and either his unwillingness to expand his route tree or the coaching staffs lack of training locked him into a certain role. The Cowboys fell into a trap with many of their players and schemes and were complacent with putting a guy where his natural strengths lie without any emphasis on growth or expansion; the team gets comfortable having certain guys do just a certain few things well.

At Dez's heyday, the Cowboys could afford to only have him rely on his natural strengths because of he was in the prime of his career and he had a special connection with Tony Romo. Once he lost his peak athleticism and the QB changed, he did not adapt with it and neither did the coaching staff. That's what the whole reboot to a 'Dak'friendly' system and personnel is all about.

Even if the staff wanted to have a diversified scheme last year teams were just not scared of the skill position guys, that included Jason Witten. Hence why they loaded the box and challenged guys 1 on 1. Though no one the Cowboys have acquired is a prototypical number 1, they all have the certain skills needed to be versatile and disciplined options. These play straight to Daks strengths.

So while Dez might be a bigger name, he no longer has the ability to beat 1 on 1 consistently. It comes down to whether this new receiving corps is better against 1 on 1 and if they are well-rounded enough to allow the scheme to have diversity and creativity. I think they can do both.

InTheZone

Reaction score

If you're talking about Jack rabbit please be aware that Dez had him beat several times for big plays and TDs, more than any other wr that he's gone up against

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Dak has had three excellent 1/2 years. It is the back half of 2017 where his performance dropped off a cliff. His first 24 games were excellent, and his last 8 games, he sucked. I'm not going to proclaim him a great QB, or a bust, until after we see more in 2018. I'm hopeful, but not yet convinced.