The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loso86

Reaction score
1. His asking price must be too high again

2. Mike M must not have full faith in him, as does Stephen

Both go hand in hand.

If they thought he was the elite QB, some here believe, he would get whatever. Mike would let it be known, "bro, we need this dude by any means"

I'm not a Dak fan, but ready for this to be over.

Trade him or just out right let him walk.
The reason is the Agent. They literally had no communication since last offseason and just recently started talking again

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Agree. I don’t think Dak is doing this but his agent. His agent promised his new company that he will deliver a big contract with Dak and has not delivered yet. If the reports are true that Dak wanted to sign the contract last year but it was too late than I believe Dak wants to be here and it is his agent who is holding him back.
That was just a act, Dak knows what he wants, and he has a plan/ goal for how much he wants to make playing football. He didnt fire france did he??
Dak never wanted to sign, he planned on 2 tags all along, then a big deal. He thinks he and france can manipulate and fool the jones boys,and so far they have.
Dak isnt the guy most think he is, he presents a false image of himself,and has most fooled with that. He is playing for money, and if he can do that he will
play hard trying to win, but he knows what he is asking for will make that harder, but doesnt care about that.
He is betting on himself, yet preventing the team from getting better around him.

Just so he can maybe cash in again....when he can have that money now.

I mean really....what does he think he is going to get in 2024??

50 million a year? 60 million?

Just add that to the end of the 3 year deal he wants now.

No, its not guaranteed but neither is the idea that he will be able to cash in again in three years.

What if he snaps that ankle again and can't play?

What if the league comes up with something to stop these absurd QB salaries?

What if owners simply stop giving out these insane deals?

I'm not at all understanding what he wants in three years that he can't have now.
Dak is ignoring all that, and is trying to maximize the amount of money he makes, that is his priority, he doesnt really care about SB's.
Dak is obviously trying to extort money up front now and the agent is behind it. This is out of character for Dak. I truly do not think its him doing this.He is getting bad advice.
Not really, Dak presents an image of who he is, that is deceptive, Dak knows what he wants, what his priorities are, and he hired france and is still using him.
Dak just has people fooled, with his bowtie good guy image.

kskboys

Reaction score
Counter offered until he signed . Make him a deal he can’t refuse. Or we risk losing our QB.

The 3year at 41 mil I hear sounds good at this point.

The fact we couldn’t get a deal done sooner is going to cost us. It doesn’t matter who’s fault it is.
You missed it again. He agreed. And then renegged.

Hey, I'm one of the first in line in ragging on this shittastic org. However, in this one, they got it right. Dak went weirdo on them.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was just a act, Dak knows what he wants, and he has a plan/ goal for how much he wants to make playing football. He didnt fire france did he??
Dak never wanted to sign, he planned on 2 tags all along, then a big deal. He thinks he and france can manipulate and fool the jones boys,and so far they have.
Dak isnt the guy most think he is, he presents a false image of himself,and has most fooled with that. He is playing for money, and if he can do that he will
play hard trying to win, but he knows what he is asking for will make that harder, but doesnt care about that.

Dak is ignoring all that, and is trying to maximize the amount of money he makes, that is his priority, he doesnt really care about SB's.

Not really, Dak presents an image of who he is, that is deceptive, Dak knows what he wants, what his priorities are, and he hired france and is still using him.
Dak just has people fooled, with his bowtie good guy image.
This appears to be accurate to me. I mean, that's really what it looks like.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The reason is the Agent. They literally had no communication since last offseason and just recently started talking again
and who hired the agent ? lol and who is still using the agent? The agent works for dak and knows what dak wants.
Dak can take any deal offered, and knows about any deal offered, it is amazing people are still blaming the agent lol. This isnt rocket science.
I guess some see Dak as a innocent guy being buffaloed by the mean ol agent lol. Well france works for dak guys, not vice versa.
By not saying anything himself Dak can maintain his bow tie image and let france take the heat and it is working.

kskboys

Reaction score
and who hired the agent ? lol and who is still using the agent? The agent works for dak and knows what dak wants.
Dak can take any deal offered, and knows about any deal offered, it is amazing people are still blaming the agent lol. This isnt rocket science.
I guess some see Dak as a innocent guy being buffaloed by the mean ol agent lol. Well france works for dak guys, not vice versa.
By not saying anything himself Dak can maintain his bow tie image and let france take the heat and it is working.
I see people trying really hard to be on Dak's side on this. Ignoring a ton of info.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I see people trying really hard to be on Dak's side on this. Ignoring a ton of info.
Well people or fans like dak, but really they dont even know him, just the image he projects. Dak is an actor, and he is a good actor lol.
Fans feel like they know the players, but they really dont. If they really hung out with some of these players including Dak , I think they might be shocked,
and not like them so much.

plymkr

Reaction score
then great, why even go with Andy, because it will only gaurantee us 4 or 5 wins...if we don't sign dak, we should just dump and restart......pile up on draft picks, and hope it works out...or we may go through the campo, Gaily years again and luck into a Parcells type coach again.

you can not win with Andy...with Dak, same OL, worse defense, we were at least competitive in games. with a score with three minutes to go...all we have to do is fix the defense..

with Andy, we got blown out against average team with same team....AZ, WFT, and teams like Ravens,
I agree, blow it all up, accumulate draft picks and start over. Purge the roster of bad contracts and draft well and manage the cap better going forward. That's our only hope. I personally don't want to go through 3 more seasons of barely beating Atlanta Falcons caliber of teams. If we sign Dak we will not be able to fix the rest of the roster because one guy will take 40 million of a 200 million cap. One guy will eat up roughly 20-25% of the salary cap. Especially if the cap hovers around 180-200 due to the pandemic.

You said we can't win with Andy. This I also agree with. But what have we won with Dak to make Dak the 2nd highest paid player in the league? Starting from week 4 of 2019 Dallas is 11-29. Out of those 29 games Prescott started 18 of them. In the 18 games that Prescott started 11 of those games were losses. And I'm being generous that I'm including the Giants game of 2020 as a "win" for Dak but he went out while we were behind and Dalton brought us back.

But back to the stats and facts. In 2019 we did not have an historically bad defense and we did not have the injuries to the offensive line and TE. I would argue we had much better coaching as well. So since the 3-0 start against the worst teams in the league in 2019 we have gone 11-29, Prescott has started 18 of those games and we have won 7 of those games. With a mash up of Dalton, GG, Nooch in 2020 we went 4-11.

So Andy, GG, Nooch, the third and fourth string offensive line only lost 3 more games than Dak did in his last 18 starts. Let me repeat that for anyone not listening.

Andy, GG, Nooch, the third and fourth string offensive line only lost 3 more games than Dak did in his last 18 starts.

How can you justify paying 40-42 million for only 3 more victories?

plymkr

Reaction score

Hey, I'm one of the first in line in ragging on this shittastic org. However, in this one, they got it right. Dak went weirdo on them.
I still remember after beating the Dolphins in 2019 we were 3-0. Jerry was interviewed and said that a Dak deal was "imminent". Then all of a sudden boom, no deal and Dak plays hard ball. Then in March Dak was offered the richest contract in NFL history at the time and Dak turned it down.

I am really, really confused how Dak has leverage here and how every one of these talking heads is saying "Dak bet on himself and won". As stated in my previous post, Dak only got us 3 more victories than scrubs and rejects after that Dolphins game.

What am I missing here? It's not like in 2019 we won the super bowl and Dak was the MVP. Dak, and the rest of the team, has completely sucked since week 3 of 2019. and somehow Dak has leverage to demand this contract. So Dak puts up great individual numbers but the only number that matter are W's and L's. Scrubs and other team's rejects put up similar W's and L's to what Dak did. What exactly is Dak bringing to the table here besides highlights and well spoken interviews?
2019- 8-8 and we controlled our own destiny to make the playoffs and we lost and didn't get in.
2020- 6-10 and we controlled our own destiny (for a little bit) to make the playoffs and we lost and didn't get in.

Does anyone notice that there is only a 2 game difference in the win loss column between 2019 and 2020. Dak played all of 2019. Does any else notice we did not make the playoffs in 2019 or in 2017, one and done in 2016. I don't know, one playoff victory in 5 years. One great year that coincided with Zeke actually playing good football and a great offensive line followed up by 4 average years with one playoff victory. And he's demanding to be the 2nd highest paid player in the league?

I'm not kidding around when I say I'm confused how he has leverage in this situation.

If we traded Dak for 2 first rounders, pick up Darnold (via mid or late round trade) or Trubisky or Newton, draft a QB, suck next year knowing we're purging the roster of bad contracts, attitudes,and especially the Hot Boyz; I think that plan is better than paying Dak like he's elite and not being able to replace Tyron, get another quality Olineman, three new defensive lineman and a secondary that covers the receivers and linebackers that run to the ball carrier.

I apologize for repeating myself in these posts but I'm stuck on the numbers of the Win and Losses and Dak's record since the Dolphins game and the 3 QB's record with a decimated team and how they are only 3 games difference. Am I the only one that is bothered by that stat?

Oh one more things that is bothering me with reading some posters defending Dak. There is a narrative that the defense is the reason Dak wasn't successful in 2020 when he was healthy. Well that doesn't hold water because a healthy Dak started and completed 4 games. So he was 1-4 in games that he started and finished in 2020. That's 25% winning. In the remaining games that any other QB started for Dallas we were 4-11. That's 36% of the games won with QB's not named Prescott in 2020. I left out the Giants game due to Prescott starting and not finishing and Dalton coming in a we won the game. If I included that game, I'd have to say it was a win for Dalton because we were behind by double digits when Dak went down. So I'm only counting games that a QB started and finished not named Prescott.

so all the excuses as to why Dak couldn't get the job done in 2020, the same excuses are there for Dalton, GG, Nooch and they combined for a 36% winning percentage to Dak's 25% winning percentage.

So the three sucky amigos has a higher winning percentage than Dak does with the same team.

Again, I'm confused how Dak has any leverage to demand this contract without being flexible on years and other things he's not being flexible on while posting a poorer winning percentage than his backups. Total confusion and disillusioned about this situation.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Good luck finding a decent QB unless you draft one. Which will take another 1-4 years to fully develop. Trade for and give up some picks but who is really out there besides Cam? Either way you slice any young or established QB on Dak level or higher will be asking for 38M or better. Andy Dalton isn't the answer and we all know that. Right now this team is wasting time and money. Be a grown up and move on from this situation.
Russell Wilson?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Mike Fisher says Michael Irvin suggested that in the musical chairs someone is leaving but also someone is coming.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I tried to find something on Dak agreeing to a contract , then backing out or reneging?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I follow the local media, beat writers , etc. Always have , always will. And the general vibe is we were really were All In with Dak we should have signed him sooner. Like many teams do before their Rookie contract expires.

But our ownership played into the public perception we needed more evidence like leading us deeper in playoffs to validate which was a popular cry from fans and the media critics. . The criticism is if we had real football guys running Cowboys Football they’d know if he was our guy. Wouldn’t need validation from team success. And that they’ve been sold on him basically since they booted Romo to the curb.

Once they let this go to Franchise Tag they lost control of the situation. They had an opportunity to sign him for 35 million and 4 years as he was asking for but we wouldn’t budge off of the 5 years we wanted. But the public perception was that he wasn’t worth matching what Wilson was making as most recently highest paid QB.

That was the Cowboys mistake. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to as far as reneged contract cause I’ve found nothing else. But that wasn’t reneged. He just never agreed to the 5 year deal. I’ve found nothing else on that. If you have a link please share to clear this matter up for me. Maybe I missed something or most likely we have misinterpretation of how the events unfolded.

As it turns out now the 4 year 35 million he was willing to take at the time is looking good. We should have given in. That’s the fact some fans are missing in all of this. They think just because a fair deal was offered, he should have took it. But that’s not how this works.

And why our ownership is being blasted here locally. Because not only is the mismanagement of his contract not getting a deal done sooner going to cost the Cowboys millions more it possibly going to jeopardize losing our Franchise QB. Which neither scenario is good for Cowboys Football.

Dak hadn’t weirdo out. He’s just stuck to his guns. He doesn’t want a longer contract. He’s had his eyes on when the the Collective Bargaining agreement kicks in 2023. And wants to be on position to cash in 2024. And why he’s asking for a 3 year deal now. If we’d offered him an extension like back in 2018 or 2019 while he was still under his Rookie contract when we knew then he was our guy then we could have got the longer kind of contract we wanted. The longer we waited the more it played into Daks hands.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
1. His asking price must be too high again

2. Mike M must not have full faith in him, as does Stephen

Both go hand in hand.

If they thought he was the elite QB, some here believe, he would get whatever. Mike would let it be known, "bro, we need this dude by any means"

I'm not a Dak fan, but ready for this to be over.

Trade him or just out right let him walk.
The sta
So that's the sticking point for the Joneses on 5 years. They couldn't extend him early like the other QB's, this is like some crazy Netflix series. The Prescott Negotiations, Season 3.
And the ratings are through the roof! Everybody is commenting about it through every means --- everyday!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I totally agree. France works for and represents Dak. And Dak hired him to maximize his situation . And it appears he’s sticking to his guns. And the timing in which he hired France is critical. It speaks volumes.

The mistake made here is we knew early on Dak was our guy. Basically going all the way back to when we booted Romo to the curb. And Dak did nothing but validate he was worthy of being our Franchise QB .

Where our organization failed us not signing or extending him to a long term deal back in 2018 or 2019 before his Rookie contract expires like most franchises are doing now .

But once we knew Dak wasn’t going to play into a team friendly deal demanding near the top paid in the league we pandered to public perception and fan and media cries for more team success to validate a big contract.

We offered what we thought was a fair contract and drew our line in the sand. But by the time it had reached the Franchise Tag stage we basically had lost control by then . Dak could hold out for his big deal while drawing Tag while keeping his eye on 2024. Which is the year many have their eye on since the new Collective Bargaining agreement is due in 2023.

And if we’d moved early like in 2018 or 2019 we could have got our 5 or 6 year deal and made Dak highest paid QB at the time . Which would look like a bargain now. This is why our ownership is getting blasted . Because by hesitant decision making early on it’s going to either cost this franchise millions which will limit our ability managing the Cap or cost us our Franchise QB. Neither of which are good for Cowboys Football.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I totally agree. France works for and represents Dak. And Dak hired him to maximize his situation . And it appears he’s sticking to his guns. And the timing in which he hired France is critical. It speaks volumes.

The mistake made here is we knew early on Dak was our guy. Basically going all the way back to when we booted Romo to the curb. And Dak did nothing but validate he was worthy of being our Franchise QB .

Where our organization failed us not signing or extending him to a long term deal back in 2018 or 2019 before his Rookie contract expires like most franchises are doing now .

But once we knew Dak wasn’t going to play into a team friendly deal demanding near the top paid in the league we pandered to public perception and fan and media cries for more team success to validate a big contract.

We offered what we thought was a fair contract and drew our line in the sand. But by the time it had reached the Franchise Tag stage we basically had lost control by then . Dak could hold out for his big deal while drawing Tag while keeping his eye on 2024. Which is the year many have their eye on since the new Collective Bargaining agreement is due in 2023.

And if we’d moved early like in 2018 or 2019 we could have got our 5 or 6 year deal and made Dak highest paid QB at the time . Which would look like a bargain now. This is why our ownership is getting blasted . Because by hesitant decision making early on it’s going to either cost this franchise millions which will limit our ability managing the Cap or cost us our Franchise QB. Neither of which are good for Cowboys Football.
Well that is all true, but I read that they did try to extend dak in 18, but he turned that down.
The thing is we dont know all the details of what was offered back then and even now, knowing stephen they probably low balled him, but it is possible
dak planned on playing on the tag back that long ago. He had kirk's example to look at, and he might have decided back then, that is the way to go.
On the tag your getting top pay all guaranteed for 2 years, then sign a deal.

Taking that route is not team friendly, and that says something about dak , that maybe he is not too concerned about being a cowboy or not.

But if he has a good year this year he will probably get the deal he wants in 22.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His asking price is absolutely the problem. The cap went from a projected 210M in 2021 to 180M.........yet Dak still demands a contract that completely ignores the reality of the cap...... and his own lack of success.
The league just renegotiated their Network contracts and despite a downturn in viewership just cashed in on huge increases.

Despite the downturn in revenue from 2020 and the Pandemic which is largely because of losing all of the tickets sold the Cap is expected to rise considerably in 2022. And then the new Collective Bargaining agreement in 2023 which everyone has their eye on. And why Dak only wants a 3 year deal now.

I understand that Daks big deal is a Cap buster this year with Cap decreased. But that’s not on Dak. And why we should have caved last year. The 4 year 35 million is looking pretty good. The longer we wait to Cave is only going to cost us more either in millions or losing our Franchise QB.

And this continued need for team success to validate his worthiness of being our Franchise QB continues to play into this false perception of waiting to accept what we’ve known for years. That he’s enough to try and build around. Which is what defines a Franchise QB.

Only an organization or fans that aren’t able to measure his value without more team success would need to wait in order to validate. The hesitation is either going to cost us millions or ultimately losing our Franchise QB. Neither of which are good for Cowboys Football.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well that is all true, but I read that they did try to extend dak in 18, but he turned that down.
The thing is we dont know all the details of what was offered back then and even now, knowing stephen they probably low balled him, but it is possible
dak planned on playing on the tag back that long ago. He had kirk's example to look at, and he might have decided back then, that is the way to go.
On the tag your getting top pay all guaranteed for 2 years, then sign a deal.

Taking that route is not team friendly, and that says something about dak , that maybe he is not too concerned about being a cowboy or not.

But if he has a good year this year he will probably get the deal he wants in 22.
Isn’t it interesting how most teams don’t have a problem extending their QB early in their Rookie contracts if the franchise is intent he’s their guy.

For some reason it’s beginning to look like to me our ownership believes for some reason Dak should sign at a bargain or team friendly deal instead of cashing in.

Once your contract expires and begin playing on Franchise Tag the team loses its control. I’m not sure our ownership has ever grasped this concept. Regardless if Dak has played hardball which I’m not denying he is and it’s possible Stephen had attempted to lowball him as you suggested , this is where we are.

It’s ultimately our responsibility to get a deal done if we want to retain him. And the mistakes or hesitation in earlier years is either going to cost us millions more or we’ll lose our Franchise QB. Neither of which are good for Cowboys Football.

plymkr

Reaction score
I follow the local media, beat writers , etc. Always have , always will. And the general vibe is we were really were All In with Dak we should have signed him sooner. Like many teams do before their Rookie contract expires.

But our ownership played into the public perception we needed more evidence like leading us deeper in playoffs to validate which was a popular cry from fans and the media critics. . The criticism is if we had real football guys running Cowboys Football they’d know if he was our guy. Wouldn’t need validation from team success. And that they’ve been sold on him basically since they booted Romo to the curb.

Once they let this go to Franchise Tag they lost control of the situation. They had an opportunity to sign him for 35 million and 4 years as he was asking for but we wouldn’t budge off of the 5 years we wanted. But the public perception was that he wasn’t worth matching what Wilson was making as most recently highest paid QB.

That was the Cowboys mistake. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to as far as reneged contract cause I’ve found nothing else. But that wasn’t reneged. He just never agreed to the 5 year deal. I’ve found nothing else on that. If you have a link please share to clear this matter up for me. Maybe I missed something or most likely we have misinterpretation of how the events unfolded.

As it turns out now the 4 year 35 million he was willing to take at the time is looking good. We should have given in. That’s the fact some fans are missing in all of this. They think just because a fair deal was offered, he should have took it. But that’s not how this works.

And why our ownership is being blasted here locally. Because not only is the mismanagement of his contract not getting a deal done sooner going to cost the Cowboys millions more it possibly going to jeopardize losing our Franchise QB. Which neither scenario is good for Cowboys Football.

Dak hadn’t weirdo out. He’s just stuck to his guns. He doesn’t want a longer contract. He’s had his eyes on when the the Collective Bargaining agreement kicks in 2023. And wants to be on position to cash in 2024. And why he’s asking for a 3 year deal now. If we’d offered him an extension like back in 2018 or 2019 while he was still under his Rookie contract when we knew then he was our guy then we could have got the longer kind of contract we wanted. The longer we waited the more it played into Daks hands.
Didn't they offer Dak a contract in March that would have been the biggest contract in NFL history at that time?

I believe the contract was 35 million a year with 100 million guaranteed and I believe that was the richest contract in NFL history. I'll check into it tomorrow, I'm too tired to look it up now.

Offering the richest contract in NFL history is not asking Dak to take a team friendly deal or a home town discount.

2 questions. 1. How can a player say he's being low balled with the richest contract in NFL history, at the time it was offered? 2. Why can't Dak cash in on the new TV deals a year later? It's not like the TV deals and CBA deals can only effect 2023. Once those deals are in place then the cap will grow and stay grown so why couldn't Dak cash in a year later? The CBA will still be in place in 2024, 2025, etc. These are years he could cash in on those deals. Unless there's something I don't know about that states players can only make big money in 2024 and then all other deals made in subsequent seasons will be for minimum wage. Is 2024 an uncapped year like 2010 was?

I think 100 million guaranteed is cashing in enough to pacify him financially so he can wait another season to get another 100 million (or more) in guarantees with the new CBA and TV deals.

The Cowboys made a huge mistake in not extending him earlier in his rookie deal and I feel Dak is making a mistake by being inflexible and demanding more money than what his play justifies. Both parties are at fault in this.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Didn't they offer Dak a contract in March that would have been the biggest contract in NFL history at that time?

I believe the contract was 35 million a year with 100 million guaranteed and I believe that was the richest contract in NFL history. I'll check into it tomorrow, I'm too tired to look it up now.

Offering the richest contract in NFL history is not asking Dak to take a team friendly deal or a home town discount.

2 questions. 1. How can a player say he's being low balled with the richest contract in NFL history, at the time it was offered? 2. Why can't Dak cash in on the new TV deals a year later? It's not like the TV deals and CBA deals can only effect 2023. Once those deals are in place then the cap will grow and stay grown so why couldn't Dak cash in a year later? The CBA will still be in place in 2024, 2025, etc. These are years he could cash in on those deals. Unless there's something I don't know about that states players can only make big money in 2024 and then all other deals made in subsequent seasons will be for minimum wage. Is 2024 an uncapped year like 2010 was?

I think 100 million guaranteed is cashing in enough to pacify him financially so he can wait another season to get another 100 million (or more) in guarantees with the new CBA and TV deals.

The Cowboys made a huge mistake in not extending him earlier in his rookie deal and I feel Dak is making a mistake by being inflexible and demanding more money than what his play justifies. Both parties are at fault in this.
The offer was for 5 years I believe. Dak wanted 4.

And as far as looking ahead to 2023 CB agreement , if you’re under contract you won’t be able to benefit initially . Yea, you could hold out and try and force renegotiations. Otherwise will need to wait until you’re contract expires.

Also Dak’s age plays into that discussion as well. In 2024 he’ll just be 29 or 30 I believe , still considered his prime. And at that time probably more willing for a long term more team friendly deal like most of these QB’s are in their second extension since they’ve already cashed in.

And worth noting which isn’t always discussed is Dak not being a 1st round pick played on a very cheap deal for 4 years which saved the Cowboys millions. That might be part of the motivation behind Dak playing hardball.

I think it goes back to the Cowboys could have extended him sooner and he could have been receiving more , at least with a signing bonus. As it was for 4 years , he was one of the lowest paid players on the team and probably one of if not lowest paid QB in the league. That might drive you to believing and feeling it was time to be paid waiting patiently for 4 years. Just a thought ...

Status
Not open for further replies.