The reason Dak isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Then same criteria for Aikman & Romo. They too weren't elite. They were average. Were not accurate. Needed talent around them.

Typical Dak-stan, throwing all other Cowboys players under the bus to prop up their guy, including hall of fame legends like Aikman.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
then great, why even go with Andy, because it will only gaurantee us 4 or 5 wins...if we don't sign dak, we should just dump and restart......pile up on draft picks, and hope it works out...or we may go through the campo, Gaily years again and luck into a Parcells type coach again.

you can not win with Andy...with Dak, same OL, worse defense, we were at least competitive in games. with a score with three minutes to go...all we have to do is fix the defense..

with Andy, we got blown out against average team with same team....AZ, WFT, and teams like Ravens,

I guess the defense didn't suck then to contribute to any losses. THAT was the main reason this team lost. Not Andy, nor Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Whine, whine , whine

excuse, excuse, excuse

This is a results business
Your homie wants cash, then he needs to put up

if he can’t, and no, he can’t

then his sniffers should me quiet
that's not whine and excuse....its FACTS..... 1-2 in the playoffs. is it indicator that he can't? absolutely not.....Peyton went 0-4 in the playoffs. got his second contract, then he won superbowls...

its business as you said.....either give yourself a chance with Dak or suck for years to come...like the campo years.....and hope a Parcells accepts to coach your team.

its business

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I guess the defense didn't suck then to contribute to any losses. THAT was the main reason this team lost. Not Andy, nor Dak.
but my point. with Dak, because of the sucky defense, we still had a chance to pull it out in the end. defense didn't hold up.

with Andy, the games were over after first quarter......no chance at all.

we just need to fix this defense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What players specifically will this not allow us to sign?

We have most of our key players signed. And if we’re looking to make some Cap space we could let less contributing weight go like Lee or Jaylon.

While Daks contract could be restraining , isn’t his absence likely to set us back further until we find or groom another QB?
aldon, xavier if we so choose, chido, ..or any other potential free agent we want.

visionary

Reaction score
that's not whine and excuse....its FACTS..... 1-2 in the playoffs. is it indicator that he can't? absolutely not.....Peyton went 0-4 in the playoffs. got his second contract, then he won superbowls...

its business as you said.....either give yourself a chance with Dak or suck for years to come...like the campo years.....and hope a Parcells accepts to coach your team.

its business

Peyton Manning
:facepalm:

Find me the NFL GM or scout who thinks Dak is Peyton and then you can give his example , LOL

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
aldon, xavier if we so choose, chido, ..or any other potential free agent we want.

Let us also not forget that those are now additional pieces we need to find replacements for. Not like we can roll into the season without a replacement for any of these guys. What do we replace them with?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Let us also not forget that those are now additional pieces we need to find replacements for. Not like we can roll into the season without a replacement for any of these guys. What do we replace them with?
great points, great question. We need the cap flex to do so though. Or we have backed ourselves into a corner should we sign Dak to what his agent wants. It would absolutely cripple the team. Its imperative if we sign Dak, its at very least, a 4 year deal.If we are to give our front office any shot at all to fix the D. A 3 year deal will never ever happen btw. Dak may as well just start asking for a trade if he is stuck on that number. Tag and trade and lets move on.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Peyton Manning
:facepalm:

Find me the NFL GM or scout who thinks Dak is Peyton and then you can give his example , LOL
I never said Dak is peyton manning, you dak detractors have premature ejaculation problem.....I said Manning was 0-4 in the playoffs. that record is not an indication of what he can do in the future...neither is the 1-2.

on the one hand you say he hasn't done it yet, which means your expectations are he should have already won a superbowl....and then use that to say because of that he is not capable in the future..

how the heck does that make sense. and if that's your logic, then how does Andy Dalton make sense?

you dak detractors are all over the place....ALL OVER

Rayman70

Reaction score
3 posts up. plymaker remembered.

I'm wondering how you missed it.
the thread Title said the real reason he's not signed...I think its simple. Its the 3 year thing. Its not the money I don't think as much as the stupid years they want. It would be team suicide, cap suicide to sign him to anything shorter than a 4 year deal. WON'T HAPPEN. Maybe a team like the Jags might roll the dice on that. Urban Meyer might bite. Just a thought.

kskboys

Reaction score
I follow the local media, beat writers , etc. Always have , always will. And the general vibe is we were really were All In with Dak we should have signed him sooner. Like many teams do before their Rookie contract expires.

But our ownership played into the public perception we needed more evidence like leading us deeper in playoffs to validate which was a popular cry from fans and the media critics. . The criticism is if we had real football guys running Cowboys Football they’d know if he was our guy. Wouldn’t need validation from team success. And that they’ve been sold on him basically since they booted Romo to the curb.

Once they let this go to Franchise Tag they lost control of the situation. They had an opportunity to sign him for 35 million and 4 years as he was asking for but we wouldn’t budge off of the 5 years we wanted. But the public perception was that he wasn’t worth matching what Wilson was making as most recently highest paid QB.

That was the Cowboys mistake. Maybe that’s what you’re referring to as far as reneged contract cause I’ve found nothing else. But that wasn’t reneged. He just never agreed to the 5 year deal. I’ve found nothing else on that. If you have a link please share to clear this matter up for me. Maybe I missed something or most likely we have misinterpretation of how the events unfolded.

As it turns out now the 4 year 35 million he was willing to take at the time is looking good. We should have given in. That’s the fact some fans are missing in all of this. They think just because a fair deal was offered, he should have took it. But that’s not how this works.

And why our ownership is being blasted here locally. Because not only is the mismanagement of his contract not getting a deal done sooner going to cost the Cowboys millions more it possibly going to jeopardize losing our Franchise QB. Which neither scenario is good for Cowboys Football.

Dak hadn’t weirdo out. He’s just stuck to his guns. He doesn’t want a longer contract. He’s had his eyes on when the the Collective Bargaining agreement kicks in 2023. And wants to be on position to cash in 2024. And why he’s asking for a 3 year deal now. If we’d offered him an extension like back in 2018 or 2019 while he was still under his Rookie contract when we knew then he was our guy then we could have got the longer kind of contract we wanted. The longer we waited the more it played into Daks hands.
Your whole post is irrelevant because you got the first paragraph wrong. We tried to sign him. He agreed, and then renegged. We've told you this, several posters remember it, but you keep on posting as if it isn't so.

So, just for giggles and poops, I typed in Dak Prescott contract offer 2019. It came right up. Soooooo, Greg, you keep on acting as if it didn't happen, when the info is readily available w/ a quick google search. Do your research.

kskboys

Reaction score
the thread Title said the real reason he's not signed...I think its simple. Its the 3 year thing. Its not the money I don't think as much as the stupid years they want. It would be team suicide, cap suicide to sign him to anything shorter than a 4 year deal. WON'T HAPPEN. Maybe a team like the Jags might roll the dice on that. Urban Meyer might bite. Just a thought.
A 4 year deal is cap suicide. Rams and Eagles found that out.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I must question Daks IQ if he doesnt stay in Dallas. He stands to lose a ton of money now and in the future endorsement-wise, and advertisements.The agent just want's that quick fast easy money. Daks being used Imo. His naivety is showing.

kskboys

Reaction score
The offer was for 5 years I believe. Dak wanted 4.

And as far as looking ahead to 2023 CB agreement , if you’re under contract you won’t be able to benefit initially . Yea, you could hold out and try and force renegotiations. Otherwise will need to wait until you’re contract expires.

Also Dak’s age plays into that discussion as well. In 2024 he’ll just be 29 or 30 I believe , still considered his prime. And at that time probably more willing for a long term more team friendly deal like most of these QB’s are in their second extension since they’ve already cashed in.

And worth noting which isn’t always discussed is Dak not being a 1st round pick played on a very cheap deal for 4 years which saved the Cowboys millions. That might be part of the motivation behind Dak playing hardball.

I think it goes back to the Cowboys could have extended him sooner and he could have been receiving more , at least with a signing bonus. As it was for 4 years , he was one of the lowest paid players on the team and probably one of if not lowest paid QB in the league. That might drive you to believing and feeling it was time to be paid waiting patiently for 4 years. Just a thought ...
I think obtuse is the word for you.

Last paragraph: You keep repeating this ad nauseum. Easily looked up, Greg. Google is your friend.

Dak played cheaply year 4 on his own accord. It was his decision. Cowboys tried to reward him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree, blow it all up, accumulate draft picks and start over. Purge the roster of bad contracts and draft well and manage the cap better going forward. That's our only hope. I personally don't want to go through 3 more seasons of barely beating Atlanta Falcons caliber of teams. If we sign Dak we will not be able to fix the rest of the roster because one guy will take 40 million of a 200 million cap. One guy will eat up roughly 20-25% of the salary cap. Especially if the cap hovers around 180-200 due to the pandemic.

You said we can't win with Andy. This I also agree with. But what have we won with Dak to make Dak the 2nd highest paid player in the league? Starting from week 4 of 2019 Dallas is 11-29. Out of those 29 games Prescott started 18 of them. In the 18 games that Prescott started 11 of those games were losses. And I'm being generous that I'm including the Giants game of 2020 as a "win" for Dak but he went out while we were behind and Dalton brought us back.

But back to the stats and facts. In 2019 we did not have an historically bad defense and we did not have the injuries to the offensive line and TE. I would argue we had much better coaching as well. So since the 3-0 start against the worst teams in the league in 2019 we have gone 11-29, Prescott has started 18 of those games and we have won 7 of those games. With a mash up of Dalton, GG, Nooch in 2020 we went 4-11.

So Andy, GG, Nooch, the third and fourth string offensive line only lost 3 more games than Dak did in his last 18 starts. Let me repeat that for anyone not listening.

Andy, GG, Nooch, the third and fourth string offensive line only lost 3 more games than Dak did in his last 18 starts.

How can you justify paying 40-42 million for only 3 more victories?
so let me ask you, is all the wins and losses during the past 4 years (partial 5) on Dak. is he solely responsible for every games' outcome? and you can't nit pick one period to make a meaningless case, just because that period for what ever reason fits into your agenda..........

the least of cowboys problems is Dak prescott, although as the QB, he is front and center and gets all the accolades and all the blame, such is the NFL. except for Dak haters, who give the win credits to everybody else, but blame dak for all the losses. I can't tell you how many times, a series here and there has been scrutinzed. a pass here or there. a game here or there. as if no other QB every has any of those....

2019 was one of the most strange football years in dallas I ever remember. a lame duck coaching staff, on the last year of their contract, in a win superbowl or bust situation. I remember coaches screaming at each other on the sideline. I remember Jones saying, that Moore report to him. a first year OC, with all of 1 year coaching experience was in charge of Dallas offense and reported to Jones. I remember the coach blowing 3 games with crappy calls. I bet if we hadSean Payton, McVey, Reid or another half decent coach,we would have been 11-5 easily. coaching matters. did you forget the Minn game, with a chance to pull it out in the end and we decided to run the ball when we had 45 yards rushing in 3.5 quarters and over 400 yards passing....brilliant....did you forget the Saints game? was that one of the most brilliant coaching you have ever seen out of garrett!!! NOT.......how about the Patriots game.....well, who can blame garrett for getting outcoached by billicheck.....coaching matters.....

we all, including you on this forum screamed, complained, incessantly wanting Garrett fired. yet now, seemingly only one year in the past, we all forgot and lazer focused on Dak!!!..... tell me the ice-your-kicker coach had no hands in any of Dallas losses and I will shut up!!! tell me Linehan was a great OC and I will shut up!!! Tell me Moore was brilliant in 2019 and I will shut up!!! tell me 2019 was a wonderful year in Dallas coaching circle and I will shut up!!!

and, lets have some context to the record in 2020. first 5 games, we played 3 playoff teams. kept it close on a historically bad defense....HISTORICALLY bad. defense gave up scores allowed other teams to win in the end. to have been that close in those games, having a chance is fantastic onto its own. if the defense would give up 33 points per game instead of 36 plus, we would have as easily been 4-1.....if the defense wouldn't give up 50 yard run to a WR at the end of the game, we would have won...... context matters....

against the giants in comes Andy....blows an 8 point lead in a game he was handed against a crappy giants team, only to have Gallup save his arse with one of the most acrobatic catches our WRs did all year.

and he lost to average teams like AZ, WFT...in fact got blown out, where the game was over in the first half.....got blown out and manhandled by Ravens...we had no chance in those games what so ever. yet, he managed, to barely beat three 4 win teams, with their back up QBs, all of that with the help of 9 turnovers...so if you expect we play 4 win teams all of next year, then our statement on Andy et all stand....otherwise its just a bunch of agenda driven BS.

the problem with this team is not the offense....its the defense. fix the defense......

LittleD

Reaction score
What players specifically will this not allow us to sign?

We have most of our key players signed. And if we’re looking to make some Cap space we could let less contributing weight go like Lee or Jaylon.

While Daks contract could be restraining , isn’t his absence likely to set us back further until we find or groom another QB?

Sorry, but we have a gaggle of "so called" key players we need to unload. The defense is horrible and needs a complete rebuild. Zeke and Jaylon need to be moved
if possible. This team isn't going to compete for the next few years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Isn’t it interesting how most teams don’t have a problem extending their QB early in their Rookie contracts if the franchise is intent he’s their guy.

For some reason it’s beginning to look like to me our ownership believes for some reason Dak should sign at a bargain or team friendly deal instead of cashing in.

Once your contract expires and begin playing on Franchise Tag the team loses its control. I’m not sure our ownership has ever grasped this concept. Regardless if Dak has played hardball which I’m not denying he is and it’s possible Stephen had attempted to lowball him as you suggested , this is where we are.

It’s ultimately our responsibility to get a deal done if we want to retain him. And the mistakes or hesitation in earlier years is either going to cost us millions more or we’ll lose our Franchise QB. Neither of which are good for Cowboys Football.
that's on the ownership and deciding to play hardball with the wrong players....this FO made zeke the highest paid RB in the league 2 years before his deal was done. its rather easy to let RBs walk and find one in the draft. easiest position to evaluate and they impact immediately...its stupid to hand second contracts to RBs.

they gave Jaylon club foot smith and made him a top 5 paid LB in the league? why? because he is buddies with Jerry and they do business together.

then they decide to play hardball with Dak...why? if he is not your guy, then let him walk and move on. if he is your guy, paying a couple of million/year extra aint' going to mean much, you either shiet or get off the can....sitting on the fence is not the solution.....if he is not your guy, why even talk about a large contract....that's the problem....like I said 3 or 4M/year ain't the difference between building a championship team or not, if you think he is your guy......

this FO has screwed up this negotiation to no end and now, there is egos at play

Status
Not open for further replies.