The reason for failure since Jimmy Johnson

terra

Reaction score
You could say he lost his will and stamina because of who he worked for. The turning point happened the day Jerry forced T.O. on him. Bill was gone the following season. He left because he was done with Jerry.
BP changed the organization; every intelligent person understands that. So of course the OP missed it.
But I agree that once Jerry forced TO on him it was all downhill from there.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Cowboys head coaches since Jimmy.

Barry Switzer 4 years.
Chan Gaily 2 years.
Dave Campo 3 years.
Bill Parcells 4 years.
Wade Phillips 4 years.
Jason Garrett 10 years.

Parcells did an OK job but he had lost his stamina, drive to put in the work needed by a Head Coach. This is why the Cowboys haven’t had much success. It’s not the players. It all falls on Jerry the GM. I believe McCarthy has been his best hire so far. He’s changed the culture around the team. This team has a different feel. They’re not getting weaker going down the stretch, but stronger. The defense has some work to do, but they’ll be getting some players back soon. There’s a never give up attitude with this team. Dak’s put the team on his back when needed. There are fans who refuse to get on board because of the past but the past does not portend the future.

You can't just erase any and all responsibility from the players by blaming Jerry or coaches.

Flamma

Reaction score
Parcels got two playoff appearances with a young romo and I believe the other with Quincy Carter. He took this team and did more with less.

all of those other coaches had arguably more talent but we’re unable to win anything.

Last years cowboys looked unprepared and lost. That’s not acceptable and is in line with some of the past coaches you listed. We’ll see what happens this year with this team.

Coaching matters. That 2007 team was a Parcells creation. Too bad he didn't stay longer.

I'm not quite sold on BigMac yet, but he's probably better than any other coach we've had not named Parcells or Johnson.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys head coaches since Jimmy.

Barry Switzer 4 years.
Chan Gaily 2 years.
Dave Campo 3 years.
Bill Parcells 4 years.
Wade Phillips 4 years.
Jason Garrett 10 years.

Parcells did an OK job but he had lost his stamina, drive to put in the work needed by a Head Coach. This is why the Cowboys haven’t had much success. It’s not the players. It all falls on Jerry the GM. I believe McCarthy has been his best hire so far. He’s changed the culture around the team. This team has a different feel. They’re not getting weaker going down the stretch, but stronger. The defense has some work to do, but they’ll be getting some players back soon. There’s a never give up attitude with this team. Dak’s put the team on his back when needed. There are fans who refuse to get on board because of the past but the past does not portend the future.
Barry Switzer did an OK job as well! He didn't over tamper with a proven winning formula and ended up winning a Lombardi as well. He should get some credit for that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes. Mike McCarthy is the best coach since Parcells and Parcells was definitely near the end of the line due to his age.

10 years wasted on pet project Jason garret. Years wasted on Wade Phillips who most people already knew wasn’t a quality HC but was better off being just a DC.

Finally we have a real head coach. A championship level head coach and the difference in the team is easily noticeable.

kskboys

Reaction score
The point about Parcells not putting in the work is nonsense. He gave everything in the time he was here.
And built a 13 win super bowl contender. If we don't waste our time w/ players such as TO and Pacman, we might've made it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The reason for failure since Jimmy is because Jerry has taken full control of the team since then. Jimmy was the unofficial GM and was in full control of personnel. Jimmy has said many times he handled the football side and Jerry handled the business side. The salary cap and free agency hasn’t helped the situation. The 90s teams were built before free agency and the salary cap came in.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The point about Parcells not putting in the work is nonsense. He gave everything in the time he was here.

This, Uncle Jed got what he wanted by then from the Tuna. Plus he could not stand not having camera time because the tuna was doing great and once in a lifetime Pressers.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
You just figured out one of our biggest issues is Jerry the GM sucks at hiring coaches? Many of us have been saying this for years.

But we still have personnel issues too. They overvalue some positions and undervalue others, for example.

Jerry has not been the greatest at managing sports organizations. He is great at selling products or services. These challenges are finite and it just really him against the marketplace.

But him against other incredibly intelligent people who are putting their entire effort in overcoming his tendencies and beliefs. I don't' think he does as well.

At some point in time either he or the organization will have to think of another model. Those NFL teams who have strong willed and very active owners rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in the day to day field and play side operations in the weeds tend not to do very well.

JMO. If your model hasn't produced the kind of results you are seeking then it is thought provoking to try a different model. We all know how much he actually hated having Parcells and he was quoted as describing it like "walking on eggshells". I can't see him giving up the reins to someone like a BP anymore while he is still breathing.

He doesn't need a new stadium anymore.

terra

Reaction score
This, Uncle Jed got what he wanted by then from the Tuna. Plus he could not stand not having camera time because the tuna was doing great and once in a lifetime Pressers.
I never missed a Tuna Presser. So many great lines

For those of us old enough, John McKay was great as well
His best ever came after a game when TB looked really bad

He was asked
"Coach, what do you think of your teams execution?"

His reply was so great

"I am in favor of it."

terra

Reaction score
Jerry has not been the greatest at managing sports organizations. He is great at selling products or services. These challenges are finite and it just really him against the marketplace.

But him against other incredibly intelligent people who are putting their entire effort in overcoming his tendencies and beliefs. I don't' think he does as well.

At some point in time either he or the organization will have to think of another model. Those NFL teams who have strong willed and very active owners rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in the day to day field and play side operations in the weeds tend not to do very well.

JMO. If your model hasn't produced the kind of results you are seeking then it is thought provoking to try a different model. We all know how much he actually hated having Parcells and he was quoted as describing it like "walking on eggshells". I can't see him giving up the reins to someone like a BP anymore while he is still breathing.

He doesn't need a new stadium anymore.
You are absolutely right. Full control of the boys will not be taken from Jerry except from his cold dead hand
(And since I have always been convinced he sold his soul for that last SB win, maybe not even then.)

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is now a gritty and more disciplined team in many facets, yet people here still complain. A lot of these ugly games with multiple mistakes we used to lose under Garrett. How quickly some people forget.

Some people are just miserable and always will be.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Because Jerry helped devise the CAP, which restricted spending (in favor of him keeping the profits).
Aline this with the overarching philosophy that we have to be relevant EVERY year, to maintain revenue income means we have a middling team which is in with a shout, but won't win it all as there's always one (or two) teams that are All-In and have superior rosters (especially in the play-offs when instead of worrying about rolling over CAP money, these other teams are spending/trading for that year).
They’re all in this year. Wake up.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You just figured out one of our biggest issues is Jerry the GM sucks at hiring coaches? Many of us have been saying this for years.

But we still have personnel issues too. They overvalue some positions and undervalue others, for example.
Yet you continue to blame the QB. :rolleyes: