CFZ The recent history of drafting a RB in the 1st round

kskboys

Reaction score
Looking at that i see only 4 (Elliott,Fornett,Jabobs,McCafry) guys that have had multiple years of productivity, the rest had 1 - 2 years and then fell off the map Gurley being the main Eye sore after producing and getting that huge contract then failing and out of the league.
Gurley had a monster injury history coming in. He was the O player of the year in 17. Since he had thousand yard seasons 3 of his first 4 years, he doesn't fall into the 1-2 yrs cagegory.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Taking a RB at 26th pick is so much better than 4th. The 4th pick needs to have a decade of impact. We won’t get that from the Zeke pick, which isn’t his fault. It’s just bad value unless you get a huge payoff early in that player’s career which in our case we didn’t. We got two WC wins out of that draft pick in essence.
Yep… Zeke was a great player for about 3 years then most of his production had mostly to do with his high volume.

Dude used to be as fast as Pollard.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Bijan is there at #26, I would take him. It is not like a high draft pick or anything and would probably be BPA on the board. He would fit the new scheme perfectly IMO.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep… Zeke was a great player for about 3 years then most of his production had mostly to do with his high volume.

Dude used to be as fast as Pollard.
Sadly, it can also be a good reminder about Pollard too. He will be going into his 5th year and coming off a major injury. I love TP but his shelf life is probably short. I would rather see him tagged one year as opposed to a big contract that has 3-4 yrs guaranteed.

kskboys

Reaction score
the raiders didn't even pick up his 5th year option.
The Raiders have gotten hit w/ the stupid stick. After making Carr ineligible the last couple of games, they've now come to him and asked him to extend the date(2/15) to receive his roster bonus. I have no idea what they're doing.

If Jacobs is available, he's the guy you pay.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sadly, it can also be a good reminder about Pollard too. He will be going into his 5th year and coming off a major injury. I love TP but his shelf life is probably short. I would rather see him tagged one year as opposed to a big contract that has 3-4 yrs guaranteed.
100%

Pollard is a baller but once that acceleration goes he’s done in this league.

kskboys

Reaction score
Taking a RB at 26th pick is so much better than 4th. The 4th pick needs to have a decade of impact. We won’t get that from the Zeke pick, which isn’t his fault. It’s just bad value unless you get a huge payoff early in that player’s career which in our case we didn’t. We got two WC wins out of that draft pick in essence.
So true.

Really, when saying you shouldn't take a RB in the 1st, what you mean is high in the 1st. Late in the first is fine for a bruiser.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Also to note on that list, a whopping 2 of those players (Sony Michel/Leanord Fournette) have Super Bowl rings. That is not to say that teams win solely on their RB position, but it is a worthy reminder that drafting a RB in the 1st most likely will not help get your team over-the-top.

rambo2

Reaction score
Also to note on that list, a whopping 2 of those players (Sony Michel/Leanord Fournette) have Super Bowl rings. That is not to say that teams win solely on their RB position, but it is a worthy reminder that drafting a RB in the 1st most likely will not help get your team over-the-top.
They compare Robinson to Barry Sanders. If you put a Barry Sanders type talent on a good team, they very well could go over the top.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The best teams dominate the line of scrimmage. Generally, this is where high draft capital should be allocated.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Or you could get an average guy and the Eagles draft Robinson and he kills you for years.
The Eagles are killing people with a RB who is 5th in rushing yards, has a YPC that is slightly higher than the league leader, and he (Miles Sanders) was drafted with the 53rd pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gurley helped lead Rams to a super bowl. Edwards-Helaire also.

I disagree. It depends on the team and the RB. How many of those RBs went to a super bowl contender?

I think you guys have all leaped into the "RBs are worthless" idea that you're now reaching to prove it.

rambo2

Reaction score
The Eagles are killing people with a RB who is 5th in rushing yards, has a YPC that is slightly higher than the league leader, and he (Miles Sanders) was drafted with the 53rd pick.
We actually beat the Eagles.

kskboys

Reaction score
They compare Robinson to Barry Sanders. If you put a Barry Sanders type talent on a good team, they very well could go over the top.
I don't see how. Robinson is 6-0/220. Barry was 5-8/200.

blueblood70

Reaction score
and hes about to get paid., all players eventually come up for a 2nd deal and someone will pay them.. that many of the eagles players coming due.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Oh.... and before you blow that first round pick on Robinson, just know that McBride and Spears both had more yards with fewer carries than Robinson. Robinson is good, but there is other talent available.