The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this roster has big holes. We need to buy a LB corps, a RB, and a refurbished OL. If everything else is the same, maybe that puts us in contention. But we have a QB contract problem that will likely reset the QB market. We have a WR that wants to reset the WR market. We have a pass rusher who will surely want to reset the pass rusher market. I don’t know how you do those things while also getting the groceries you need for the existing holes.
And we have a front office that has proven clueless in how to build a championship level roster in the modern cap era.

kskboys

Reaction score
FWIW the Niners may have lost but they battled like champions and took a generational talent and a dynasty all the way to overtime and forced them to need a TD to win. Brock Purdy has played 2 seasons and has been in the NFC Championship game and the Superbowl. Dude is an absolute beast of a football player. Those teams were incredible. They make us look like the self absorbed clown shows that we are.
Reminds me of Utah Jazz back in the day when they kept losing to great teams like the Bulls.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reading some of the posts here, either some people didn't watch the game or completely forgot the first half of the game. The Chiefs offense and Mahomes did not look good, RB fumble, Mahomes throws a bad pick, takes some sacks, makes some bad throws, several 3 and outs and only scored 3 points in the first half. The only reason they are in position to win is the defense played hard and kept it close to let Mahomes eventually make a difference. That's the point of the OP, even great QBs need help, even the great Patrick Mahomes needs to be carried by others sometimes. The Chiefs won many games this season similar to that, the defense played great even when the offense didn't to at least keep games close and give them a chance to win.
Yes! That is the point. Even Mahomes can’t win if he doesn’t have a defense to keep you in the game when the offense isn’t clicking.

kskboys

Reaction score
Reading some of the posts here, either some people didn't watch the game or completely forgot the first half of the game. The Chiefs offense and Mahomes did not look good, RB fumble, Mahomes throws a bad pick, takes some sacks, makes some bad throws, several 3 and outs and only scored 3 points in the first half. The only reason they are in position to win is the defense played hard and kept it close to let Mahomes eventually make a difference. That's the point of the OP, even great QBs need help, even the great Patrick Mahomes needs to be carried by others sometimes. The Chiefs won many games this season similar to that, the defense played great even when the offense didn't to at least keep games close and give them a chance to win.
Out of Brady's 7 super bowl wins, only 1 was won w/o a great D. And that was 2018, and that D still held the Rams to 3 points in the super bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
to your first point….look at Chris Jones last night. Doesn’t get a ton of praise but he led the team in pressures and was right in Purdys face on the biggest play of the game for them in the red zone.

Will continue to agree to disagree on not being “nearly close”, the team has the means to get what we need, question is if they will.
Chris Jones doesn't get a ton of praise?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree with the OP. We don't lose 48-45 if we have Mahomes. Mahomes doesn't throw braindead pick sixes and throw up on himself under pressure, which brings down the entire team.

I understand the agenda is to made Jerry to blame for everything, and believe me, I blame Jerry for plenty. But Mahomes is an all time great QB and Dak is a good regular season QB who chokes under pressure. That's the biggest difference.
Choc, my agenda isn’t to knock everything Jerry does. My agenda is to see the Cowboys win another SB. And we aren’t going to win one again until we make some major changes in the way we construct a roster.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Chris Jones doesn't get a ton of praise?
Not close to enough as he should at all no. For football purists and those who know the game- yes, but he’s as important to any other player on that team after Mahomes and he’s talked about significantly less than Kelce (even before Taylor). Played a huge hand in all 3 super bowls.

kskboys

Reaction score
You might be right. SF is the more talented team. But Mahomes is the only guy worthy of taking up the majority of his team's cap space.

If SF had a better QB, they win. Purdy, while he didn't wet the bed like Dak, is limited.

But still, look back at SB and NFL history: "Historic" defenses are routinely beaten by elite QBs.
Absolutely.

Look at last year's super bowl. KC's D was 11th, Philly's was 2nd. And both O's drove up and down the field seemingly at will.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You have to have a defense or the offense can literally dictate the last 10 minutes of a game.

They can burn clock or score fast, they can move ball to where they want it for the kicker,.

The 49ers had it with 2:00 minutes left and the KC defense stood straight and tall and forced a long FG. Pat had 1:50 to tie or win.
He got the tie and extended the game.
The 49ers would have simply ran it for first down versus this Cowboys defense and kicked it with 15 seconds or fewer to win the game.
Fans woulda blamed Dak 100%.

In OT SF took the ball first and KC defense was tired and wilting but held on enough to force a FG.
When that happened everyone in America except Shanny knew the Chiefs would win.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not close to enough as he should at all no. For football purists and those who know the game- yes, but he’s as important to any other player on that team after Mahomes and he’s talked about significantly less than Kelce (even before Taylor). Played a huge hand in all 3 super bowls.
Gotcha. And they're prolly losing him. Huge loss if they do.

nobody

Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
Mahomes doesn't have the yips though. He can actually deliver come playoff time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's something to make you sick on this fine morning!!! We took Jaylon Smith in the 2nd round in 16. Chris Jones went to the Chiefs 3 picks later.

shabazz

Reaction score
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe.
Bob, most of us have known this for years with this current group. We've made hundreds of threads bashing the FO for their lack of meaningful FA additions AND their not drafting a QB above the 4th round for the last few decades.....theres only a handful of FO apologists still here that claim that this roster is SB ready

That debate is over

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree, but we'll never know. What we do know is that Mahomes can drive a sportcar or a pickup truck. It's not the car, it's the driver. Montana proved this...Brady proved this. Heck, Aikman proved this.

That defense plays hard - in part - because they have Mahomes. Retired players talk about "knowing we have...<insert player>" and that's why they didn't worry, played hard and believed.

I do agree with the last paragraph in your first post about how far away we are in spite of the QB situation. But Mahomes is a force multiplier...he's the straw that stirs the drink.
Hey I agree that Mahomes is the straw that stirs the drink. I’m just saying that last night and also against the bills and against the ravens in the playoffs, without the chiefs defense making huge stops in critical moments, Mahomes never even gets a chance to prove his game winning drive greatness.

Thats not knocking PM at all. I am a Texas Tech fan- I’ve seen Mahomes’ greatness since he was 18 years old. I love the guy. But I saw him throw for 700 yards against Baker Mayfield and OU only to lose 66-59 because he didn’t have a defense.

If the chiefs D had not played well enough to hold SF to 10 points in first half, while the chiefs were struggling offensively, it would have been a different game.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey I agree that Mahomes is the straw that stirs the drink. I’m just saying that last night and also against the bills and against the ravens in the playoffs, without the chiefs defense making huge stops in critical moments, Mahomes never even gets a chance to prove his game winning drive greatness.

Thats not knocking PM at all. I am a Texas Tech fan- I’ve seen Mahomes’ greatness since he was 18 years old. I love the guy. But I saw him throw for 700 yards against Baker Mayfield and OU only to lose 66-59 because he didn’t have a defense.

If the chiefs D had not played well enough to hold SF to 10 points in first half, while the chiefs were struggling offensively, it would have been a different game.
If the Chiefs didn't have that D, they would've lost to the Ravens.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bob, most of us have known this for years with this current group. We've made hundreds of threads bashing the FO for their lack of meaningful FA additions AND their not drafting a QB above the 4th round for the last few decades.....theres only a handful of FO apologists still here that claim that this roster is SB ready

That debate is over
It's funny how so many claim that, and yet we haven't come close in years. Haven't even been to a champ game. Exactly what data is being used to determine that we're super bowl ready?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Out of Brady's 7 super bowl wins, only 1 was won w/o a great D. And that was 2018, and that D still held the Rams to 3 points in the super bowl.
Even as great as Peyton Manning was, the SB he won with the Colts was because he had a "team" around him, they had a great defense. During that SB run, he had 3TDs and 7 INTs in the playoffs.

coult44

Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
a lot of yall don’t get that Mahomes doesn’t need a great supporting cast. He’s that good. He’s probably 10X better than anyone else.