The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As a huge Texas Tech fan who saw Mahomes play a ton in person when he was in college…he didn’t have a defense at Tech, and they never came close to winning the Big 12. His last season there, he threw for close to 800 yards and 7 TDs against OU…and lost 66-59 because he didn’t have a defense.

Look I’m not intending to diminish Pat Mahomes in the least. He’s the best player in the league. I’m just saying no QB is good enough to win a SB without a supporting cast - especially on defense.
But does Mahomes need as much of a supporting cast?

SF had a great supporting cast but it wasn’t enough.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

KC had 3 first team All Pros this year, 2 of them on defense. DT Chris Jones and Slot Corner Trent McDuffie were first team All Pro. Travis Kelce was first team All Pro TE. Their defense was the 4th best defense in the NFL this year. C Creed Humphrey was a first team All Pro last year.

Again, I’m not diminishing Mahomes at all. But he’s not playing for a team devoid of talent - especially on defense.

Reactions: CWR

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
can you show me in the last 5 drafts how they are better
Sure.

LIV February 2, 2020 (2019) Kansas City Chiefs 31–20 San Francisco 49ers
LV February 7, 2021 (2020) Tampa Bay Buccaneers 31–9 Kansas City Chiefs
LVI February 13, 2022 (2021) Los Angeles Rams 23–20 Cincinnati Bengals
LVII February 12, 2023 (2022) Kansas City Chiefs 38–35 Philadelphia Eagles
LVIII February 11, 2024 (2023) Kansas City Chiefs 25–22 (OT) San Francisco 49ers

4 out of the last 5 Super Bowl appearances with 3 championships.

It checks out. They are better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
KC had 3 first team All Pros this year, 2 of them on defense. DT Chris Jones and Slot Corner Trent McDuffie were first team All Pro. Travis Kelce was first team All Pro TE. Their defense was the 4th best defense in the NFL this year. C Creed Humphrey was a first team All Pro last year.

Again, I’m not diminishing Mahomes at all. But he’s not playing for a team devoid of talent - especially on defense.
Wasn’t the Cowboys defense #5 this year. And how many All Pro’s did we have. Just saying.

Yes, we have weaknesses. But give me Mahomes and we don’t need as much help as we do without him.

He does matter. And if not for this comment I wouldn’t have needed to respond at all.

Darkhound

Reaction score
You guys are all wasting your time and energy
Jerry Jones nees to die, sell, or retire for things to change

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing was clearer last night and last few weeks that the greatest QB currently in the NFL was too much for the best teams in the NFL.

Beat both #1 seeds and the hottest team all away from Arrowhead as underdogs.

Build the greatest teams with MVP caliber QB’s and top 5 defenses and none were enough to stop Mahomes. HE DOES MATTER!!!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn’t the Cowboys defense #5 this year. And how many All Pro’s did we have. Just saying.

Yes, we have weaknesses. But give me Mahomes and we don’t need as much help as we do without him.

He does matter. And if not for this comment I wouldn’t have needed to respond at all.
Of course he matters. We are agreeing Greg! Lol! I love Mahomes. He’s the best. Just saying the chiefs don’t win that game last night without that defense coming up huge. The chiefs D is what gave Mahomes and the offense a chance to stay in the game and eventually win it.

75boyz

Reaction score

SF had more talent player for player on their defense than KC does.

Refusing to acknowledge the difference a Mahomes, Burrow, or Allen makes while simultaneoulsly propping up their supporting cast as the main linchpin in overall team success is one I disagree with because I believe ALL onfield performance begins with the head coach and QB performance. And strangely enough, the GM, HC and QB trios are the foundation to NFL onfield success.
Sometimes it is black and white. It's not a fantasy football mindset.
It's common sense.
Everything else is a subsidiary of how well or poor these 3 perform.

So again, I'll just agree to disagree from here on out.
No worries.

Our HC and QB suck at playoff football so it don't really matter concerning this team.

Think I'll lurk for a while, lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course he matters. We are agreeing Greg! Lol! I love Mahomes. He’s the best. Just saying the chiefs don’t win that game last night without that defense coming up huge. The chiefs D is what gave Mahomes and the offense a chance to stay in the game and eventually win it.
Ok but we must be careful to not minimize what Mahomes means. He IS THE difference given everything else is the same. And it wasn’t more clear in the playoffs and SB this year.

doomsday808

Reaction score
I agree with this. Mental and Physical toughness is lacking. There are NO sideline leaders on this team. Perseverance when you are on the ropes and the pride to fight back is not even in the building. As much as it pains me, 9ers and Chiefs are on a different level in terms of team foundation.

pitt33

Reaction score
The current makeup of this Cowboys team is light years away from the class of the NFL.

The FO is incapable of putting a championship team together. Band Aid fixes permeate this roster from one year to the next.

75boyz

Reaction score
Ok but we must be careful to not minimize what Mahomes means. He IS THE difference given everything else is the same. And it wasn’t more clear in the playoffs and SB this year.
Brady was Tampa's difference. Stafford was the Ram's difference.
Burrow and Allen have not completed the task of being the difference "yet" but have or are currently knocking on the door.
All the rest of the team pieces mean absolutely squat without the guy touching the ball every single snap doing his job at the highest level.
These mentioned quarterbacks are the nexus to team success.

This time I'm out for real, LOL.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Mahomes eats a ton of cap space. They are somehow getting it done. Obviously Mahomes is way better but the chiefs have figured a way to have a great supporting cast with the most expensive player in the league.

The chiefs also have one of the best GMs in the league - Brett Veach. When you look at their roster construction vs ours, it’s embarrassing.
Because their offense is made of a high school JV team outside of Mahomes.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

No he doesn’t. Winning more Super Bowls without Tyreek Hill. That line though has been pretty strong all five years.