The roster building messages the SB teams made clear to Cowboys last night

rambo2

Reaction score
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

Here are some of those roster building messages:
  • Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we see Dallas‘ defense crumble while the offense was struggling.
So what are the implications for the Cowboys?
  1. Get better in the front 7 on defense. We need some major help at DL, LB. Secondary is ok. (Everyone screams for a new QB but unfortunately that ain‘t happening now and even if it was, we don’t have enough defensive support for any QB)
  2. Get better at OL and RB. We desperately need a running game.
  3. Stop wasting second round picks on medical or mental rehabs because the GM wants to look smart. Draft guys that can play NOW.
As I watched that SB last night, it was crystal clear that the Cowboys aren’t nearly as close as we fans want to believe. The most important upgrade these team needs right now is some dominating beasts at DT and LB and an improved running game. There will be no cavalry rescue of this team at QB next year. So better get a better D and running game or even if we had Mahomes he couldn’t save this team.
All the Cowboys needed was Chris Jones, a linebacker, and a running back. That's pretty close.

kskboys

Reaction score
a lot of yall don’t get that Mahomes doesn’t need a great supporting cast. He’s that good. He’s probably 10X better than anyone else.
Not really true. He needs a great D. If this D is just a little worse, Mahomes never gets the chance for the comeback.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Reminds me of Utah Jazz back in the day when they kept losing to great teams like the Bulls.
Yeah for sure. You can battle and lose to champions and still be cool in my books. We are more like a Carmelo Anthony or Gilbert Arenas lead team. Human stat machines who gets dog walked in the first round of the playoffs every year but retires and thinks of themselves as an all time great. Made a big bag of cash and scored lots of points. Absolute losers in my books.

75boyz

Reaction score
a lot of yall don’t get that Mahomes doesn’t need a great supporting cast. He’s that good. He’s probably 10X better than anyone else.
Precisely.
Its like they totally dont understand the part about the true franchise guy covers over a lot of team warts.

He doesn't need 5 all pro olinemen OR the 85 Bears defense.

His "individual ability alone" can carry a lesser team with holes in certain areas.

This seems to be ignored here cuz they want so bad for the lesser QB guy and team narrative to be proven that it keeps being repeated over and over.
And yearly playoff results keep on disproving that narrative.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's funny how so many claim that, and yet we haven't come close in years. Haven't even been to a champ game. Exactly what data is being used to determine that we're super bowl ready?
The only folks I know of that continually claim that our roster is "SB ready" is the team itself and the small handful of media mouthpieces and delusional fans.....other than that we all see our deficiencies.

Getting destroyed by teams that ARE SB ready or close to it , makes it painfully obvious. Lol.

The Lions are close......we're not even in the same conversation as them

CCBoy

Reaction score
The only folks I know of that continually claim that our roster is "SB ready" is the team itself and the small handful of media mouthpieces and delusional fans.....other than that we all see our deficiencies.

Getting destroyed by teams that ARE SB ready or close to it , makes it painfully obvious. Lol.

Dallas beat the Lions...

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
That game was a dumpster fire of turnovers.....and mistakes...that quite honestly the NFL should be ashamed that they have to crown either one of those teams as champion.
The NFL has a huge problem in quality of play...and the way referees can dictate outcomes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wow......if you truly believe that the Cowboys are better rostered and better coached, I won't try to talk you out of it.

Are the Cardinals a better team than the Cowboys?....because they eviscerated our team
The reasons for success and failure still centers around defensing the run and getting a top shelf runner.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

Jerry and I think we are.

200w.gif
then dak choked again. :D

Last edited:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
When you have Mahomes and he is the offensive system for KC, then you can afford to trade Tyreek Hill for draft picks to build the supporting cast (including a 1st rounder that turned into All-Pro CB McDuffie and a 4th rounder used to move up to draft WR Rashee Rice in 2023). That also allows you to make your draft priorities clear as you can afford to go with defense (2022 1st round pick was pass rusher Karlaftis). Even though they're not much of a running team, Mahomes and the passing game can also make a 7th round RB like Pacheco serviceable

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Choc, my agenda isn’t to knock everything Jerry does. My agenda is to see the Cowboys win another SB. And we aren’t going to win one again until we make some major changes in the way we construct a roster.
I read your posts, Bob. :)

My point is that "roster construction" didn't, and doesn't, make Dak throw braindead pick sixes. Is the roster perfect, of course not. But a better nosetackle and LBs wouldn't stop Dak from choking when the lights get brightest. Look at last years Niners loss. The defense held SF down just fine. The QB couldn't just do anything.

Now if you want to blame Jerry for this upcoming gargantuan Dak extension, I'm with you.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I read your posts, Bob. :)

My point is that "roster construction" didn't, and doesn't, make Dak throw braindead pick sixes. Is the roster perfect, of course not. But a better nosetackle and LBs wouldn't stop Dak from choking when the lights get brightest. Look at last years Niners loss. The defense held SF down just fine. The QB couldn't just do anything.

Now if you want to blame Jerry for this upcoming gargantuan Dak extension, I'm with you.
I'll still go to war on cause...

AA_40_yard_dash.png
Pro Football Reference
Cowboys Stats & Graphics
@CowboysStats
·
Follow
I didn't bother to make this chart nice, so I'll just lead with how I interpret it: Further right = Better underlying pass defense results against the Shanahan tree of playcallers since 2017 Further up = Better results against all other offenses (over a much > sample)
7:16 PM · Feb 1, 2024

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'll still go to war on cause...

AA_40_yard_dash.png
Pro Football Reference
Cowboys Stats & Graphics
@CowboysStats
·
Follow
I didn't bother to make this chart nice, so I'll just lead with how I interpret it: Further right = Better underlying pass defense results against the Shanahan tree of playcallers since 2017 Further up = Better results against all other offenses (over a much > sample)
7:16 PM · Feb 1, 2024
Bigger linebackers will help fend off offensive linemen barreling through the second level, but it would also be nice if they could get a little beef in the interior defensive line as well. The Cowboys used a first-round pick on Mazi Smith a year ago and his development will be huge in determining how much success the defense can have in the middle. But don’t be surprised if the Cowboys go even bigger with another nose tackle either through free agency or the draft as they look for someone who’s got a little extra girth.

The good news is they already have some strong pieces in other places. They have talented edge rushers and good-sized corners who can press off the line. If they can just get a little bigger at LB and DT, this could speed up Zimmer’s success with the defense. The Cowboys will need to do some redecorating with their defensive personnel and it may take a little trial and error to get it right, but once Zimmer finds his guys, this defense will start to take off.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...inator-changes-linebacker-safety-tackle-stats

unsportsmanlikeconduct

Reaction score
While watching that great SB game last night played by two excellent teams, there were some clear messages sent about how to build a Super Bowl roster. If only the Cowboys front office could ever de-code them we would have a better chance to play in a SB again.

Here are some of those roster building messages:
  • Just having a great QB without some dominating players in the defensive trenches is not enough. This is a fundamental truth the Jones boys never seem to understand. Yes having a Pat Mahomes is HUGE. But without that great DL the chiefs don’t win that SB. Below are some great, even dominating QBs that underperformed in the playoffs because they did not have a great D.
    • Aaron Rodgers- won only one SB because he didn’t have enough help on defense. That simple.
    • Peyton Manning- an all time great that won 2 SBs, but lost a bunch of AFC championships and a SB because until he was with the broncos, he didn't have a great D.
    • Dan Marino- arguably the greatest passer in NFL history but never won a SB because he never had a great D.
    • Joe Burrow- he’s great. But if the bengals don’t get a better D around him, he’s another Marino.
    • Putting this point another way, if the Cowboys had Mahomes vs the pack in January, we only lose 48-45, lol.

• Toughness matters a ton. Both the niners and chiefs are physically tough as nails. The niners are the most physical team in the NFL. Their defense punishes opponents. The chiefs are also physically tough. Their defense was vastly underrated this year. The mental toughness of the chiefs to stay in the game despite their offense being sluggish is testament to their mental toughness.

• Having a defense capable of keeping you in the game until the offense comes alive. The chiefs D kept them in the game when their offense was terrible the first half. How many times did we S
So, you're saying defense wins championships? Hmmm, what a concept.