The "Russell Wilson" window

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yep. However, there is an additional layer of scrutiny there that any Free Agent will have to pass: High character. The Hardy signing taught a harsh lesson to the Dallas Front Office, and right or wrong, I think they put a good bit of the blame for last year's collapse on a decay in character that occurred in the locker room.

A guy like Hardy wouldn't be signed in this upcoming off season. As a matter of fact, I don't think a guy who has any character issues will be signed... much less a guy like Hardy.

So, like you, I see Hardy as proof that they'll pay for the right pass rusher when they think they're a contender. However, that signing also makes me think that it'll be more difficult than ever to find the right guy to spend on.

I tend to agree with JDSmith on this: two or three mid level defensive players might be the way they go in order to improve their pass rush (along with the draft of course). I see that as much, much more likely to occur.

And frankly, that would be a huge improvement over the bargain bin shopping they did this past off season.

Many different ways to skin a cat, I just want to fix this DL, Asthma :)

Bluefin

Reaction score
I've been saying all thread, let's see what happens with this new team and new approach, and for me, hope it includes an impact signing for our very needy D :)

I'm not expecting a new approach from the front office, they will continue using free agency to fill holes with value signings while being open to a high cost addition if the right player is available.

But given Randy Gregory's suspension and Benson Mayowa's lackluster play to date, someone has to be signed to play RDE in free agency. It doesn't have to be a WOW! signing, it almost certainly won't be, but even signing a decent RDE will make the entire DL appreciably better.

DeMarcus Lawrence is a LDE and is being forced to play on the right side way too much this year. Tyrone Crawford is the UT and has been playing mainly LDE because of the suspensions and how the rotation has since been worked out. Getting these players back to their regular spots by upgrading RDE with new players this off-season will have a welcome effect.

The "impact" signing on D next year isn't going from the outside, it'll be an inside job.

Jaylon Smith will be on the field all three downs beside Sean Lee.

Go ahead, smile.

It's a happy thought!

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yep. However, there is an additional layer of scrutiny there that any Free Agent will have to pass: High character. The Hardy signing taught a harsh lesson to the Dallas Front Office, and right or wrong, I think they put a good bit of the blame for last year's collapse on a decay in character that occurred in the locker room.

A guy like Hardy wouldn't be signed in this upcoming off season. As a matter of fact, I don't think a guy who has any character issues will be signed... much less a guy like Hardy.

So, like you, I see Hardy as proof that they'll pay for the right pass rusher when they think they're a contender. However, that signing also makes me think that it'll be more difficult than ever to find the right guy to spend on.

I tend to agree with JDSmith on this: two or three mid level defensive players might be the way they go in order to improve their pass rush (along with the draft of course). I see that as much, much more likely to occur.

And frankly, that would be a huge improvement over the bargain bin shopping they did this past off season.

Well we signed a 'mid-level' DT last year and that did not do much...
I think we need to sign at least 1 and preferably 2 top tier edge rushers and draft 2 more.
We have the cap $ for it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Dallas Free Agents 2017
Player

Morris Claiborne CB Cowboys
UFA $3,000,000 $500,000
Ronald Leary LG Cowboys
UFA $2,553,000 $0
Barry Church S Cowboys
UFA $2,206,750 $3,327,000
Mark Sanchez QB Cowboys
UFA $2,000,000 $0
Andrew Gachkar 43OLB Cowboys
UFA $1,750,000 $1,200,000
Darren McFadden RB Cowboys
UFA $1,500,000 $200,000
Lance Dunbar RB Cowboys
UFA $1,250,000 $100,000
Jack Crawford 43DE Cowboys
UFA $1,100,000 $240,000
Gavin Escobar TE Cowboys
UFA $1,052,624 $2,213,566
Terrell McClain 43DT Cowboys
UFA $1,016,667 $300,000
Justin Durant 43OLB Cowboys
UFA $965,000 $80,000
Josh Thomas CB Cowboys
UFA $760,000 $0
Terrance Williams WR Cowboys
UFA $724,243 $619,472
Kellen Moore QB Cowboys
UFA $710,000 $0
JJ Wilcox S Cowboys
UFA $702,767 $586,068
Ryan Davis 43DE Cowboys
UFA $675,000 $0
Brice Butler WR Cowboys
UFA $556,875 $67,500
David Irving 43DE Cowboys
ERFA $480,000 $0

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I did, and I'll defer to @xwalker @bkight13 or @AdamJT13
waldo numbers and philosophy are spot on imo....the cap is not a problem

DAL can be very aggressive in the secondary and still get a RDE....I would prefer to draft one in the 1st to pair with Tank and a guy like RDavis or Mayowa.......LDE is TCrawford.....3T is Collins and Irving and UT is Thornton and maybe TMcClain again

But they should sign Mo and Chuch and maybe Carr and Wilcox if they are really cheap.....match them with BJones, Scandrick and Brown and that is solid with a couple Draft picks

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
waldo numbers and philosophy are spot on imo....the cap is not a problem

DAL can be very aggressive in the secondary and still get a RDE....I would prefer to draft one in the 1st to pair with Tank and a guy like RDavis or Mayowa.......LDE is TCrawford.....3T is Collins and Irving and UT is Thornton and maybe TMcClain again

But they should sign Mo and Chuch and maybe Carr and Wilcox if they are really cheap.....match them with BJones, Scandrick and Brown and that is solid with a couple Draft picks

Do you want to see a legit RDE signed this offseason, or are you over that, now, B? I concur with your last paragraph, 100% (as you know)

waldoputty

Reaction score
Just one, Waldo. Just one 10-12 sack guy, my bud

Think about this:

Sign: Poe, Melvin Ingram
Draft: Ist round RDE, 2nd round LDE, and 2 more DEs out of 5th, 6th and 7th rounds for good measure
Let go: TCrawford, DT Mcclain, Mayowa, JCrawford

Base 4 Linemen
LE - Lawrence - 2nd round pick
DT1 - Poe - Thornton
DT3 - Collins - Irving
RE - Melvin Ingram - 1st round pick

Nascar:
LE - 1st round pick
DT1 - Lawrence
DT3 - Irving
RE Melvin Ingram