***The Second Call/NonCall good/bad conspiracy etc thread***merged**

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to watch NFLN, gifs anything and you guys just keep torturing yourselves. It sucks big time but it is what it is NO CATCH. We lost its over and it sucks. Kudos to u guys but for me it was a helluva ride and I'm salivating to do it again but for now it's over.

Yeah. I'm going to miss the week leading up to the playoff games. It was just so exciting. And I live in Seattle. This week would have been amazing for me.

Just so many missed opportunities that I can think back to as clear as day that just make me sick to my stomach. Then, to see that picture of Witten just devastated on the sideline? I want to throw up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Calvin Johnson rule was as idiotic four years ago as it was during our game. It will continue being idiotic until the NFL addresses its validity in a logical fashion. The rule should be revisited, rewritten or excised from the rulebook.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Have you seen a still or a vine of that play? I've been looking for whether or not Murray was swinging around a loaf of bread or not, and I can't find it.

Murray actually pulled the ball up high and tight just a moment before Peppers got him... great play by Peppers... I would've liked to see Murray put the other arm over the ball...
but he did anticipate a swipe and underestimated the strength of Peppers in my opinion.

unsportsmanlikeconduct

Reaction score
The ball can touch the ground as long as possession is maintained, which he did. It popped up and was controlled, not fumbled on the ground which would then have made it an incompletion. Right?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I hate asking for more judgement calls from officials, but that NEEDS to be a judgement call.

Anyone watching that KNOWS it was a catch, but the letter of the law...

Sometimes, what actually happens on the play needs to be taken into account. There is no way anyone can say with a straight face that he didn't have total and complete control of that.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The Calvin Johnson rule was as idiotic four years ago as it was during our game. It will continue being idiotic until the NFL addresses its validity in a logical fashion. The rule should be revisited, rewritten or excised from the rulebook.

I dislike the rule... that should be a catch... also, despise the Calvin Johnson-play comparison... CJ was in the endzone... Dez leaps up to make a
catch at the 6yd line... comes down at the 5...has possession... takes two full steps and lunges forward... and is down inside the 1... a knee and his right
forearm touch the ground before the left arm touches..... grab a football and take two strides and dive forward in your living room... He had the ball for a solid 15 feet
before it hits the ground.

RoboQB

Reaction score
As was mentioned on NFL Network by Rich Eisen, I think, the trouble with this rule is the fact that if it were a running play and he was tackled, the ground
cannot cause a fumble... Yet, because he's a receiver, he doesn't have possession.... by rule, the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incompletion....
There will most certainly be a Dez Bryant Rule in the near future.

With that said, I'm proud to see Jason Garrett handle this with class... He's right... They had 60 minutes to win the game... not about the refs... To acknowledge that
the game didn't boil down to one play shows a type of character that is not present in other places... Detroit, for example.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray actually pulled the ball up high and tight just a moment before Peppers got him... great play by Peppers... I would've liked to see Murray put the other arm over the ball...
but he did anticipate a swipe and underestimated the strength of Peppers in my opinion.

Good.

As was mentioned on NFL Network by Rich Eisen, I think, the trouble with this rule is the fact that if it were a running play and he was tackled, the ground
cannot cause a fumble... Yet, because he's a receiver, he doesn't have possession.... by rule, the ground cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incompletion....
There will most certainly be a Dez Bryant Rule in the near future.

With that said, I'm proud to see Jason Garrett handle this with class... He's right... They had 60 minutes to win the game... not about the refs... To acknowledge that
the game didn't boil down to one play shows a type of character that is not present in other places... Detroit, for example.

Yeah. He did a great job expressing his disappointment and disagreement with the interpretation of the call without calling out the refs in general. He's a class act.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The ball hit the ground. My argument is and always will be that Dez made a football move after gaining control and prior to losing the ball. I have yet to see any absolute evidence to indicate that he did not and therefore the call was 100% wrong.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In my mind the Cowboys won that game. The league stripped them of their victory. I declare the Cowboys this season's Champions with out a Super Bowl. I feel that good about the team... they are my Champions!

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Dez catches ball, while controlling the ball, he turns his body towards the goal line, he takes two steps after turning body, and while facing the goal line he reaches out towards goal line. the ball pops out after his elbow touches the ground. You can watch the replay 100 times and theses facts won't change. It is a catch.

nablives

Reaction score
Hit the ground or not, #37 trips Dez after Dez comes down with the ball and that changes everything. At that point, Dez becomes a ball carrier. Once Dez lands on his elbow, play over, and the ball can land anywhere because it's a done deal. The Cowboys may still go on to lose the game with the way Rodgers was on fire and the Cowboys were too scared to get after him in the 2nd half, but you hate to see the refs end a game, especially by telling us we didn't see what we saw.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"In our judgment, he maintained possession but continued to fall and never had another act common to the game."

Must be reaching forward to the end zone is not a common act to the game. Falling and lunging forward are two different things.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yea, it was a catch and nobody is ever going to convince me it wasn't but its a moot point now................the league is not going to let us replay the game, so debating if it was a catch or not is just an exercise in futility at this point.

About the closest the NFL will ever get to admitting it was a catch is if they change the rule this offseason.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Yea, it was a catch and nobody is ever going to convince me it wasn't but its a moot point now................the league is not going to let us replay the game, so debating if it was a catch or not is just an exercise in futility at this point.

About the closest the NFL will ever get to admitting it was a catch is if they change the rule this offseason.

Sorry, but changing the rule is not an admittance of anything and is nothing but a deflection from the horrible officiating job done by the refs. There is nothing wrong with the rules as is. They are misapplying one - the Calvin Johnson rule - and ignoring the existing ones. They inserted post facto phrases such as "act common to the game" and "process of the catch" to weasel their way out of admittance of guilt on their bogus reversal through interpretative loopholes. It is outright lying at worst and sophistry at best.

Last edited:

Ken

Reaction score
Must be reaching forward to the end zone is not a common act to the game. Falling and lunging forward are two different things.

Lol.

I believe this is the new definition of lunacy.

:)