***The Second Call/NonCall good/bad conspiracy etc thread***merged**

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
'Don't put yourselves in a position where a referee's call can cost you the game.' It's good advice. We should expect a team that understands and honors that. To their credit, with the exception of Dez (and I don't blame Dez for it), that's pretty much exactly what we did.
I really hope we don't end up whining half as much as Detroit did after their QB threw a ball into a defenders back last week.

While this may be true in general, this becomes much harder in a league of parity and in the playoffs when you have evenly matched teams.

While the refs shouldn't be blamed for a loss, they shouldn't be absolved from having a hand in it, and in Dez's case, they absolutely did. The ball at the half yard line with four plays to score with our offensive line has a high probability of scoring a TD. Sure, anything can happen, i.e. a fumble, the Pack stopping the runner behind the line, etc., but THAT'S WHY YOU PLAY THE GAME.

You don't let refs determine even a disputable call - and this shouldn't even have been so - without clear evidence to overrule.

khiladi

Reaction score
Talking about other plays is irrelevant to this issue. It simply means that Dallas should have dominated. It also means that Dallas overcame their own mistakes, but was hosed by the refs.

They were robbed, plain and simple.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I don't know why people keep talking about CJ. CJ when the ball touched the ground, his hand was ON TOP, him grasping it. Dez's whole forearm was grasping the ball, lying between it and the ground, i.e. it was under the ball.

It's simply wrong to even compare the two on those grounds alone.

show me where his arm is under the ball??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you mean he never lost possession? Both hands were completely off the ball after the ball hit the ground

Can you show me the picture of that?

I've never seen anything close to showing that.

Thanks in advance.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Show me where it's not.

can you not see with your own eyes, oh that's right, you have take those kool-aid glasses off first, in the picture the ball is less than 6 inches from the ground, his arm and elbow is 8 inches at the side of the ball a millisecond before hitting the ground, not under the ball as you state, it's clear what caused the ball to come lose, THE GROUND!!

khiladi

Reaction score
can you not see with your own eyes, oh that's right, you have take those kool-aid glasses off first, in the picture the ball is less than 6 inches from the ground, his arm and elbow is 8 inches at the side of the ball a millisecond before hitting the ground, not under the ball as you state, it's clear what caused the ball to come lose, THE GROUND!!

Ah OK.. It's my kool-aid.

Show me where his arm is 1 mm off the ground when the ball hits it like Clark Kent...

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
It was a horrible call. The NFL clearly wanted to get us back. Any close judgment call was going against the Cowboys.

Nation

Reaction score
Show me where it's not.

wH0ZbW4.png

I think it's a dumb rule, but this is where he does not maintain complete control after the nose of the ball earlier hits the ground, and why it was not a catch.

JBS

Reaction score
Can you show me the picture of that?

I've never seen anything close to showing that.

Thanks in advance.

I dont have a pic, but nation just posted one in this thread...you'll see it

khiladi

Reaction score

Missing the point.

The ball came loose after Dez rolled over. His arm, when the ball made contact with the ground, was always secure in-between it and the ground. And this happened after his reach.

It's even a clearer TD than this one.

Look at 2:40, Dez's TD... He falls down, reaches for the goal-line, with his hand actually above the ball, and the ball hits the ground and falls out of his hands and it's a TD. Same exact football move.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
we got jobbed today......sort of WWE style and it's pathetic how the normally fiery media (ie Detroit game controversy) is so hush. Just terrible and anyone who knows squat about football knows something funky happened here.....

This.
But I do have a question. If he had maintained complete control, would he have been able to get up and run it in the end zone or would he have been down by contact? I am 100% sure it would have down by contact. So why wasn't he down by contact when his elbow hit as he was reaching for the goal line?

Congrats on a good season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
10917848_1018650824817932_8894611889191357089_n.jpg

It looks like the ball contacts the ground but Dez maintains control of it until he flips over

That was the point at which it began to move, which means he didn't maintain possession all the way through. As much as I wanted that to be a bad call, the reversal was by the book. Dez did not maintain control through hitting the ground. I don't like the rule, and I expected members to be defending the catch today, but the ruling was correct.

Dez's argument was that he actually caught it twice, but because it hit the ground, it is an incomplete pass.

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
Guys, please stop torturing yourself with these pics. It only makes it harder to get over. On to the draft.

JBS

Reaction score
Missing the point.

The ball came loose after Dez rolled over. His arm, when the ball made contact with the ground, was always secure in-between it and the ground. And this happened after his reach.

Look at 2:40, Dez's TD... He falls down, reaches for the goal-line, with his hand actually above the ball, and the ball hits the ground and falls out of his hands and it's a TD.

It doesn't matter when the ball comes loose...at that point he lost possession...he has to maintain possession all the way through...the only argument is did he make a football move...and whether he was going to the ground when he caught...Definitely a gripe to be made about both..

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Missing the point.

The ball came loose after Dez rolled over. His arm, when the ball made contact with the ground, was always secure in-between it and the ground.

Look at 2:40, Dez's TD...

Exactly! I've asked this question earlier..
if he controlled the ball while touching the ground but it came loose after it was off the ground does the Calvin Johnson rule even apply? No one can show a pic or video angle where he loses possession while the ball is contacting the ground to my knowledge.

khiladi

Reaction score
It doesn't matter when the ball comes loose...at that point he lost possession...he has to maintain possession all the way through...the only argument is did he make a football move...and whether he was going to the ground when he caught...Definitely a gripe to be made about both..

Again, wrong. Because he was down by contact. And he lunged. And then rolled into the end-zone where the ball came loose, just like in the video I posted.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yes it did, it clearly hit the ground and there have been many pictures and video to prove it

we have actual, legitimate complaints, let's not get bogged down in the untrue

Dez had already "completed the process" before any of that. Nobody can convince me otherwise. All we can do is let it go.