The Trey Lance Pick Gets Worse

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
How do you guys not know that QB's are consistently overdrafted, and are often drafted due to their tools. Seriously, how in the world do you guys not know this? Wentz, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, RGIII, Justin Fields, Paxton Lynch, all the same type. Toolsy guys, often from small schools, who are drafted way too early simply because they can throw the ball 80 yds and/or run. Judging these QB projects from where they were drafted is just silly and makes zero sense.
It does makes sense when their draft year was so recent, and a significant portion of that time was missed with an injury. No one really knows how good he is… But he was good enough a couple years ago to go number three overall. So based on that, yes I’m operating on the assumption that he has talent…
And he went number three …much much higher than most most of the guys on that list

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It does makes sense when their draft year was so recent, and a significant portion of that time was missed with an injury. No one really knows how good he is… But he was good enough a couple years ago to go number three overall. So based on that, yes I’m operating on the assumption that he has talent…
And he went number three …much much higher than most most of the guys on that list
Wentz, RGIII, and Wilson were all the second pick in their respective draft class. So “most of the guys on that list” were drafted higher than Lance. This should give you some insight into why draft position does not translate into actual talent.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be too late to trade him at that point once camp is over. Just like our brilliant GM traded for Trance at the end of camp and we learned absolutely nothing about him as a player.

However, we know he is a nice guy.
You and all of us fans don’t know anything about him either. Give him a chance. Your hate for him is off the charts.
They know much more than we do.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You and all of us fans don’t know anything about him either. Give him a chance. Your hate for him is off the charts.
He gets $4.5 million five days after camp opens in July. I don’t see the Cowboys paying him that and then trading him away when all he’ll still be owed is less than a million for the season. When camp is over he’ll be appropriately paid for a third string quarterback. It has nothing to do with “hate”. That’s a popular, and cowardly, cop out comment these days. The reality is we’re never going to know anything about him if he never plays in games that matter.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Wentz, RGIII, and Wilson were all the second pick in their respective draft class. So “most of the guys on that list” were drafted higher than Lance. This should give you some insight into why draft position does not translate into actual talent.
Omg. Obviously. But everything being equal give me #3 over #19 all day long. No sure things, but he was drafted 3 for a reason….he sits another year behind Dak and maybe in 25 we have something.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No they really don't. He got zero playing time last year. Do they no him more personally yes. I could care less about that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He gets $4.5 million five days after camp opens in July. I don’t see the Cowboys paying him that and then trading him away when all he’ll still be owed is less than a million for the season. When camp is over he’ll be appropriately paid for a third string quarterback. It has nothing to do with “hate”. That’s a popular, and cowardly, cop out comment these days. The reality is we’re never going to know anything about him if he never plays in games that matter.
Have you really read the posts not to call it hate? Or a very strong dislike?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Have you really read the posts not to call it hate? Or a very strong dislike?
Fans hate the transaction, not Trey Lance. It is peculiar to acquire a quarterback with a 4th round draft choice that seemingly has no chance to play in the regular season. He’s a free agent in less than 360 days and his fifth year option, obviously not picked up, would be over $20 million. The whole deal seems like a knee jerk reaction with no particular contingency plan. Even if he is a great quarterback, how are the Cowboys going to find out? In preseason he’ll be playing with and against reserves and guys that will not make an NFL roster. That’s not quite the measurement you want if you’re going to pin your teams’ hopes on. It very much looks like Dallas made a mistake in the shadow of SF’s much bigger one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Omg. Obviously. But everything being equal give me #3 over #19 all day long. No sure things, but he was drafted 3 for a reason….he sits another year behind Dak and maybe in 25 we have something.
OMG, he was drafted 3 because he's athletic and has a great arm. I absolutely cannot comprehend how you're not getting this. Once a player is drafted, it doesn't matter anymore where he was drafted. Unfortunately, Jerry is making the same mistake you are, thinking that it matters. Dude was a small school project pick from the start, same as Zach Wilson. Aaron Rodgers was drafted at 26, so w/ your way of thinking you're taking Jamarcus Russell over Rodgers due to draft position. THINK THIS THROUGH, dude.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one hates him.

No, they do not necessarily know more than we do.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fans hate the transaction, not Trey Lance. It is peculiar to acquire a quarterback with a 4th round draft choice that seemingly has no chance to play in the regular season. He’s a free agent in less than 360 days and his fifth year option, obviously not picked up, would be over $20 million. The whole deal seems like a knee jerk reaction with no particular contingency plan. Even if he is a great quarterback, how are the Cowboys going to find out? In preseason he’ll be playing with and against reserves and guys that will not make an NFL roster. That’s not quite the measurement you want if you’re going to pin your teams’ hopes on. It very much looks like Dallas made a mistake in the shadow of SF’s much bigger one.
Could not be said any better.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not true.

RGIII: 2nd
Zach Wilson: 2nd
Wentz: 2nd

Honestly, do you say stuff just to say it?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
yep, I agree we both would probably stop watching the team if dak wasn't on it. It would really piss me off if Trey takes his job. Why can't jerry trade any competition dak has? I'd be happy if Rush stays here forever or until dak retires, that should help dak to play longer. Go dak...
Captain, your sarcasm level has exceeded Risen level, ..... :bow:

Chasing6

Reaction score
No one will be interested in trading for him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I've always thought.. that if Dak could read a defense like Romo eventually did... we really might have something.

Which is why I wanted him to sit behind Romo for a couple of years... but obviously that boat sailed.

Was a great opportunity lost.. (in my humble opinion)
i don't see any difference between Prescott and Romo maybe a slightly different game skill set wise but same results ...cant read a defense what moron started that narrative that also not true.. you cant be part of all top 5 offenses in your career 2 times #1 once #2 etc etc, no losing seasons, top 10 td-int ratio in the NFL history books,

rookie year. ROTY 13 wins, he had 37tds -10ts in 2021 slightly better than Mahomes, last year 2nd team all pro 2nd in MVP voting ..you dont play that long and have that success if you cant read defenses and his ROTY year; year 1, 13 wins say he did this without sitting, romo sat for 3 years but it obviously didn't hold Dak back.

yes 2-5 to Romos 2-4 but overall, Dak Prescott has a passer rating of 91.8 with 1,962 yards, 14 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 7 games in the playoffs in his career. ints not all his doing just like Romos in the RS. stick to the GB INTs first one DB ran through the back of Cooks and pulled on him to leverage and pick that ball on not great route no PI call, Lamb broke off his route took it upfield off script , ball already thrown to the spot the designed play called for... scheizen happens.

just about every false narrative ever spoke about Prescott is wrong just like the guy saying calling romo a choker also WRONG,,

so you're not humble you're just absolutely wrong... you can't have a career like prescotts without knowing how to read a defense lmao and knowing how to read a defense did not help romo anymore, even if you feel he was better at it.

raven55

Reaction score
HE WAS A THRID STRINGER IN SAN FRAN AND WHAT IN THE WORLD JERRY TRADED A FOURTH WHEN HE NOT GONNA START AND HE CAN'T EVEN BE TRADED ANOTHER STROKE OF A SENILE OLD MAN THAT FOR 29 YEARS COULDN'T GET TO A NFC CHAMP. AND GREEN BAY COMES ALONG IN THE WILD CARD ROUND AND BEATS YOUR BOYS LIKE A BUNCH OF LOW TALENT COLLEGE GUYS HA HA HA HA HA HA

Jimbo123

Reaction score
HE WAS A THRID STRINGER IN SAN FRAN AND WHAT IN THE WORLD JERRY TRADED A FOURTH WHEN HE NOT GONNA START AND HE CAN'T EVEN BE TRADED ANOTHER STROKE OF A SENILE OLD MAN THAT FOR 29 YEARS COULDN'T GET TO A NFC CHAMP. AND GREEN BAY COMES ALONG IN THE WILD CARD ROUND AND BEATS YOUR BOYS LIKE A BUNCH OF LOW TALENT COLLEGE GUYS HA HA HA HA HA HA
TURN OFF THE CAPS

Chasing6

Reaction score
i don't see any difference between Prescott and Romo maybe a slightly different game skill set wise but same results ...cant read a defense what moron started that narrative that also not true.. you cant be part of all top 5 offenses in your career 2 times #1 once #2 etc etc, no losing seasons, top 10 td-int ratio in the NFL history books,

rookie year. ROTY 13 wins, he had 37tds -10ts in 2021 slightly better than Mahomes, last year 2nd team all pro 2nd in MVP voting ..you dont play that long and have that success if you cant read defenses and his ROTY year; year 1, 13 wins say he did this without sitting, romo sat for 3 years but it obviously didn't hold Dak back.

yes 2-5 to Romos 2-4 but overall, Dak Prescott has a passer rating of 91.8 with 1,962 yards, 14 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 7 games in the playoffs in his career. ints not all his doing just like Romos in the RS. stick to the GB INTs first one DB ran through the back of Cooks and pulled on him to leverage and pick that ball on not great route no PI call, Lamb broke off his route took it upfield off script , ball already thrown to the spot the designed play called for... scheizen happens.

just about every false narrative ever spoke about Prescott is wrong just like the guy saying calling romo a choker also WRONG,,

so you're not humble you're just absolutely wrong... you can't have a career like prescotts without knowing how to read a defense lmao and knowing how to read a defense did not help romo anymore, even if you feel he was better at it.
Defenses do their best to disguise a defense. Every QB gets fooled now and again. Some more than others.

Some OC's design their plays better than others making it easier for the QB to read the defense. Example, some teams use a lot of motion.

sbark

Reaction score
The LB Carpenter pik in 1st got worse
The 2nd RD pick of Qb carter went bad
The CB Clairborn 1st rd pik got worse'r
Tristen Hill
The 1st rd pik of DE Taco got worse
The 2nd round CB rapper pik got worse
And many more..several TE, a Wr or 3

What is with the "hate "here....yes hate, its way beyond discussion for some.
Let it play out, at least a chance of value to a 4th rd pik can yet be had
....vrs all the #1 & 2nd rd piks listed above