Video: The truth about the Cowboys' Dak situation

birdwells1

Reaction score
Sad that some just can’t enjoy this nice little ride we’re on.

Where will this "little" ride end? I don't thing it will end in a super bowl and that's the end goal.If it doesn't then you have to figure out what's lacking and right now it's our offense, our passing game and more specifically our qb. It's alright to enjoy this ride but just don't be blissfully ignorant.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
What do you mean when you say what QB on this roster?

Like Cooper Rush and Mike White or league wide?

I’m not paying Dak because Rush and White are not good.

Linehan has to go also. That’s the #1 priority right now sense we don’t have a first rounder.
I am talking about realistic options. Once Dak saved the season in 2016 he was going to be the Quarterback. Romo, Rush, and White would not have played better then Dak. Romo might have played better but he was never going to make it through a season. Linehan will go only if Garrett goes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I am talking about realistic options. Once Dak saved the season in 2016 he was going to be the Quarterback. Romo, Rush, and White would not have played better then Dak. Romo might have played better but he was never going to make it through a season. Linehan will go only if Garrett goes.

We can’t pay Dak for 2016.

We pay him for what he isn’t going forward and he’s a guy with great intangibles but not that great of a QB.

We win because of everyone around. Pay the guys around him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Despite it opposing my inclinations to say so, I think what they've said in this video is a realistic way to see things.

Jerry Jones has more of a passionate fan's viewpoint of things than if coming from an objective GM's perspective.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score

Watch the video. Accept it, don't accept it, it doesn't matter. It won't change the fact that what they are saying here is the truth and is the future for this team.

There is no chance this front office does the right thing. You are about to be saddled with the most over paid player in the league. Eating up chunks of cap space while you desperately try to put an all pro core around him to overcome all the things he can't do. Namely, play the position of QB.

Mark it down. Jerry is about to make another ginormous mistake. He is the gift that keeps on giving. For fans of the Eagles, Giants and Commanders.

Go Cowboys, bros.

I say pay everyone what they are worth. If they are not worth the check that they expect then let them go. But honestly this is something to worry about after the season. We have a chance to make the playoffs and make some noise when we get there. The only reason they talk about Cowboys topics is for ratings and they know Cowboy fans and haters are tuning in for it. There has been nothing official from anyone that a contract or an extension is currently in the works. JJ wants to sign him that is cool but lets let them get to the negotiation table after the season and focus on making a run this season. Hopefully Dak is not paying attention to the media and this topic.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Do you think we would be winning now if we hadn’t traded for cooper?
Do you think we would be winning if the defense was not as good?
Dak supporters take it as an attack on Dak but it’s not. The reality is Dak is not terrible nor elite.
I think if you have a good defense and put talent around him he can win
The question is can you pay him elite money and give him the tools around him
We needed a number 1 reciever. Brady and Roger's would not have been much better. Certainly not at their price tags. The defense is good but lets not get crazy like we are the 85 Bears. We can win with Dak. I have said it a million times Jerry is not giving him more the 20 million a season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Break that down....how many teams above .500 has dak beat
Does it matter. The league is 8-8. Our decision is worse. The NFC EAST stinks now. I miss the 90s. Best games ever. Buddy Ryan's defense, LT and the Giants, Joe Gibbs Skins. That was football.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We can’t pay Dak for 2016.

We pay him for what he isn’t going forward and he’s a guy with great intangibles but not that great of a QB.

We win because of everyone around. Pay the guys around him.
They can and will. I would see if I can get two firsts for Lawrence but I love this team. I know you do too. Let's ride the season out and see what happens.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where will this "little" ride end? I don't thing it will end in a super bowl and that's the end goal.If it doesn't then you have to figure out what's lacking and right now it's our offense, our passing game and more specifically our qb. It's alright to enjoy this ride but just don't be blissfully ignorant.
Maybe you can point out where I said this team is headed straight for the Super Bowl.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Yep.

NFL teams should be aware of what these gigantic contracts do to the team.

Look at Green Bay.

Best QB in football and they are terrible because of that contract.

The Vikings haven’t had Cousins long enough to feel the effect of his contract but it will be coming quickly.

Dallas paid Romo like idiots when he never had playoff success.. That contract and Garrett stopped him from ever having playoff success.

We have an elite corner, receiver, and defensive end that are about to get stupid money too and I’d keep all of them over Dak.
Problem is, if you don't pay your QB somebody else will. So we sign our elite players and draft a guy who may or may not be better than what we had? How much trial and error does it take to find our elite signal caller? How many years between Aikman and Romo? It's not as bad as it used to be, but drafting a QB high has huge potential to set a team back years. And while I hate the idea of giving Dak a huge long-term deal, I don't think the solution is as simple as telling him to sign a team-friendly contract or walk. It's a question with no easy answers and all NFL teams face it sooner or later.

conner01

Reaction score
We needed a number 1 reciever. Brady and Roger's would not have been much better. Certainly not at their price tags. The defense is good but lets not get crazy like we are the 85 Bears. We can win with Dak. I have said it a million times Jerry is not giving him more the 20 million a season.
Cooper gives you that one
We need a TE too I think
We aren’t the 85 bears but we are a top tier defense
To me it’s not so much the amount with Dak but an out in 3 years
I’d rather pay a bit more to have an out
I’m not sure that you can sign Dak for 20 mil
He hired the same agent that got QB’s comparable to Dak huge contracts
Will Dak go for all he can get or take less?

conner01

Reaction score
Problem is, if you don't pay your QB somebody else will. So we sign our elite players and draft a guy who may or may not be better than what we had? How much trial and error does it take to find our elite signal caller? How many years between Aikman and Romo? It's not as bad as it used to be, but drafting a QB high has huge potential to set a team back years. And while I hate the idea of giving Dak a huge long-term deal, I don't think the solution is as simple as telling him to sign a team-friendly contract or walk. It's a question with no easy answers and all NFL teams face it sooner or later.
Exactly
There is no easy answer
My thinking is pay more now to have an out in 3 yrs or so
It’s not so much about the money but the structure
In the near term we have cap space but it won’t last and will go fast
The league and players need to look at a cap change to limit the amount of the cap that can go to any one player

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly think this team would best be served by allowing Dak to play another year before committing to another contract. Jerry is much too inclined to allow his emotional attachment to Dak interfere with his business sense as a GM. I'm really hoping Stephen sees fit to impress that point upon him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

If it’s Dak I’m ok with letting someone else pay him.

Aaron Rodgers is 1 thing but paying Dak and knowing what those contracts do to the team is just stupid.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty good discussion. I reject the idea that Dak gets automatically extended in the offseason just for his team winning the East. If they’d ride into a franchise head with Lawrence, they’d happily ride into a pre-franchise year with Dak. If he gets extended, it’s because he’s giving a relative discount. I’d also reject that it has to be a $28MM AAV contract. Sure, if you overlay a guy and donit a year or two too early it’s a bad deal. No kidding.

I also happen to like Dak better than Cousins. I liked him better than Luck going into this season as well. And he’s playing a lot better right now with poor pass protection and still-limited receiving weapons than they’re giving him credit for.

That said, if he gets extended, it needs to be on a team-friendly deal because he’s not a great QB right now.

Bigdog

Reaction score
One of the reason why Brady has so much success besides the obvious reasons, is he took less pay to build a team around. Brady’s contracts have been cheap compare to other qbs who have not won a SB or has been in as many as he has.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yep.

NFL teams should be aware of what these gigantic contracts do to the team.

Look at Green Bay.

Best QB in football and they are terrible because of that contract.

The Vikings haven’t had Cousins long enough to feel the effect of his contract but it will be coming quickly.

Dallas paid Romo like idiots when he never had playoff success.. That contract and Garrett stopped him from ever having playoff success.

We have an elite corner, receiver, and defensive end that are about to get stupid money too and I’d keep all of them over Dak.

Confusing post here if I'm understanding this right.........one seems to cancel out the other one. Are you saying Rogers shouldn't have gotten elite money coz GB can't afford other players? But it seems you are also saying you'd pay you'd pay our "elite" CB, WR and DE over Dak.