CFZ The two bad habits that are killing our chances to get better

75boyz

Reaction score
I believe the over-valuing our own players is a result of the desire for self-validation by the Cowboys front office.

I think the fans are just as guilty of this though, but for different reasons of course, as we tend to want the team to keep players that played well and/or showed improvement recently.

The Cowboys need to stop waiting to find out how good their young players are until the last year or two of their contracts.

For years I have said that the Cowboys should use the draft and rookie free agents more aggressively than they have.

I think the reason they do not do it is because they have this old school flawed mentality that most players need to be on the team for 2-3 years before they become starters.

That leads to the team seeing one good (or even great) year from a player and then have to start thinking about resigning (and overpaying) them based on that one good season.

If you think about it, most of the non-first round rookies who have had great first or second seasons did so more due to injuries to other players than the wisdom of the front office or coaching staff to make them starters.

As a fan, there are players i like so I am glad they keep them, but the front office and coaching staff need to stop applying the same progression path to every player and instead start thinking about letting some of the players show what they can do right away.

Best case, you find a star player who can help you for years before you have to pay them a higher contract. Worst case, you realize sooner than in the past that they are not the answer which allows you to start looking for the next player.
Great post.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Let‘s face it- the Cowboys front office has two very bad habits:
  • BAD HABIT #1. Over-valuing our own players.
    • Think about it. We have a whopping two wild card playoff wins with the “cornerstone” talent we’ve built with the best of our last 7 drafts. For years, our front office has looked at guys like Zeke, Dak, Cedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs, and several other players and thought, “We have to keep these guys because look at what we’ve accomplished with them.“
    • We haven’t accomplished that much with them.
    • I‘m not saying all of those guys should be traded or cut. But I am saying THEY AREN‘T ENOUGH.
What seemed odd to me, and even out of character, was paying Schulz and Gallup and letting Cooper go.

Cooper was the clear difference maker. A legitimate #1 that demands double coverage.

Gallup and Schulz are not play making threats. And they certainly don't demand double coverage.

The usual Jerry move is to play for the highest upside, and you do that by keeping the stars and letting the second tier go. Except this time, they let the first tier go and kept the second tier for *more* money last year, with more guaranteed money to come, while Cooper had *no* guaranteed money left. It wasn't just more money, it was more *locked in* money.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What seemed odd to me, and even out of character, was paying Schulz and Gallup and letting Cooper go.

Cooper was the clear difference maker. A legitimate #1 that demands double coverage.

Gallup and Schulz are not play making threats. And they certainly don't demand double coverage.

The usual Jerry move is to play for the highest upside, and you do that by keeping the stars and letting the second tier go. Except this time, they let the first tier go and kept the second tier for *more* money last year, with more guaranteed money to come, while Cooper had *no* guaranteed money left. It wasn't just more money, it was more *locked in* money.
Well said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So true. Nepotism is poison to big organizations. It’s one thing to own a small family lumber business and the son or daughter is involved and eventually takes over. It’s a completely different situation in a complex operation like an NFL team. Nepotism is a cancer in the Cowboys organization.

There is a ton of scholarly research done the last 30-40 years showing how nepotism stunts the competitive performance of a company. Especially when the boss surrounds himself with family that cannot or will not speak the unvarnished truth to them.

And with SJ and JJ, they assume what they do is automatically good. Bill Parcells once said that Jerry had to be convinced to change his mind. Imagine a HOF HC having to convince the oil wildcatter that his football ideas aren’t correct.
Yep but yet we still expect a different result.

Unfortunately fans either directly or indirectly have continued to provide the Jone$ the wrong message as our popularity and record revenue continue . They have preyed on our addiction to the Cowboys.

Cowboy fans are the fools .

raven55

Reaction score
2 bad habits are dumb and dumber, they should stay in the big boat or there party bus and leave the cowboys to some one that knows how to build a team. and above all keep there dumb mouth's shut after 27 years you would think they would catch on but you can't fix stupid

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    • Think about it. We have a whopping two wild card playoff wins with the “cornerstone” talent we’ve built with the best of our last 7 drafts. For years, our front office has looked at guys like Zeke, Dak, Cedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs, and several other players and thought, “We have to keep these guys because look at what we’ve accomplished with them.“
    • I‘m not saying all of those guys should be traded or cut. But I am saying THEY AREN‘T ENOUGH.
  • BAD HABIT #2. Not being dissatisfied enough with lack of playoff results. The Jones boys apparently are satisfied enough with what they've been getting because if they weren’t satisfied, they would be more aggressive to make changes.
    • If you really want to win a championship, you look at your team with a critical eye, not just assume all the guys you think are good just need another year to “get lucky”.
    • SJ has been saying lately ad nauseum that we are “just a click away”, just need “little more juice”. He and Jerry both act like they haven’t sniffed a championship in 27 years because of “bad luck”.
In my eyes there is only ONE player on this team who is untouchable- Micah Parsons. Literally everyone else is available if by moving them we could get better.

Over-valuing talent means you don’t have the critical eye to see beyond what you like about any player’s past performance. And if you truly want to win a championship, you have to stop thinking, “We’re really close, we just need to get lucky”.
Nonsense.

What players in recent years did they keep too long?

Zeke's salary was guaranteed until this upcoming season. They had just drafted Pollard when Zeke held out

DLaw got the paycut or be cut option from cap boy.

They moved on from Dez, Romo, Witten, etc..

You want them to be more aggressive but you don't want them to pay to re-sign their own players. That's silly.

:facepalm:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • BAD HABIT #2. Not being dissatisfied enough with lack of playoff results. The Jones boys apparently are satisfied enough with what they've been getting because if they weren’t satisfied, they would be more aggressive to make changes.
    • If you really want to win a championship, you look at your team with a critical eye, not just assume all the guys you think are good just need another year to “get lucky”.
    • SJ has been saying lately ad nauseum that we are “just a click away”, just need “little more juice”. He and Jerry both act like they haven’t sniffed a championship in 27 years because of “bad luck”.
In my eyes there is only ONE player on this team who is untouchable- Micah Parsons. Literally everyone else is available if by moving them we could get better.

Over-valuing talent means you don’t have the critical eye to see beyond what you like about any player’s past performance. And if you truly want to win a championship, you have to stop thinking, “We’re really close, we just need to get lucky”.
Jerry just celebrated the anniversary of firing Tom Landry. Jerry said that celebration is better than winning more Super Bowls than Landry.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Agree, they hang onto marginal players way too long. Bellicheck was a master of knowing when to move on from players. Or so it seems, having Brady covered many of those moves, making them look better than what they may have been. Or at least less impactful.

But they do over value, hence the large contracts, that they keep kicking down the road, because they are afraid to make the move to get out if it.
It is like chasing a stock or hanging onto it, but it will not rebound to the point to make good on it.

I don't get this argument though, what are they supposed to do not keep anyone. If it's like that we should get new players soon as their rookie deals are over to avoid over paying for players. Nobody knows how these players will turn out. These players are getting what they get because of what the market dictates. No player is really going to say, I want what the guy at the bottom of my position pay level is what I want

I hear what you're saying you know I do but it's just hard to keep hearing this, and not holding on to players. There's some players you actually know you don't want to hold on to, tryston Hill, Connor Williams, guys you never even think about giving a new deal to. Kelvin Joseph for his inconsistent play and legal issues, hell no!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The moment Zack Martin leaves the strength of the Oline crumbles. Who then becomes your best Olineman? Is it really Tyler Biadasz? Or maybe Tyron on the days where he’s been healthy long enough to get back to form?

That’s the most untouchable player, he’s holding up a house of cards.

Tyler Smith

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I believe the over-valuing our own players is a result of the desire for self-validation by the Cowboys front office.

I think the fans are just as guilty of this though, but for different reasons of course, as we tend to want the team to keep players that played well and/or showed improvement recently.

The Cowboys need to stop waiting to find out how good their young players are until the last year or two of their contracts.

For years I have said that the Cowboys should use the draft and rookie free agents more aggressively than they have.

I think the reason they do not do it is because they have this old school flawed mentality that most players need to be on the team for 2-3 years before they become starters.

That leads to the team seeing one good (or even great) year from a player and then have to start thinking about resigning (and overpaying) them based on that one good season.

If you think about it, most of the non-first round rookies who have had great first or second seasons did so more due to injuries to other players than the wisdom of the front office or coaching staff to make them starters.

As a fan, there are players i like so I am glad they keep them, but the front office and coaching staff need to stop applying the same progression path to every player and instead start thinking about letting some of the players show what they can do right away.

Best case, you find a star player who can help you for years before you have to pay them a higher contract. Worst case, you realize sooner than in the past that they are not the answer which allows you to start looking for the next player.

Great point about the lower round picks needing to play more, I agree!!!!

Hardline

Reaction score
Bad habit #3 falls on the fans.
Most of you will be purchasing the latest Cowboy merch and continue to buy tickets to the games.
If You were all like me Corporate name stadium would be empty and merch in the pro shop would be gathering dust.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Truth!

GoldenR

Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing about Cooper being overpaid. Prescott is overpaid. Zeke is overpaid. So is Lawrence. They could have carried his salary another year and they would have been a better team. Had a better shot at it.
Soon Diggs will be WAY overpaid. Add him to the list shortly.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
15?? :facepalm::lmao2:its nice you think thats the starting price for top 5 TYPE CB..he would laugh at that and pack his stuff for sure. you have Ramseys wanting to be traded which would be 1st or 2nd maybe more and his current 3yr 60mil hes owed wasn't enough wants new deal. looks to me that stat near 18 and could be more as that the FT for this year.

• Quarterback: $32.42MM
  • Running back: $10.1MM
  • Wide receiver: $19.74MM
  • Tight end: $11.36MM
  • Offensive linemen: $18.24MM
  • Defensive end: $19.73MM
  • Defensive tackle: $18.94MM
  • Linebacker: $20.93MM
  • Cornerback: $18.14MM
  • Safety: $14.46MM
  • Kicker/punter: $5.39MM
at those prices to have a top guy for each position would be 400 mil a year and I left kicker punter off, then there are the other guys.

GMO415

Reaction score

Bullet, these guys can't wait for the season to end so 80% of them can spend time playing COD.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The moment Zack Martin leaves the strength of the Oline crumbles. Who then becomes your best Olineman? Is it really Tyler Biadasz? Or maybe Tyron on the days where he’s been healthy long enough to get back to form?

That’s the most untouchable player, he’s holding up a house of cards.
Was trying to craft a post and thought it best to stand on your post.