The Video Game Thread

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Can you give some info on the controller interactivity? Coming from a guy who should know but doesn't.
Tbh it would be hard to imagine wo using it.
One ex ample is you can literally blow "into" the controller and have that "spinning" effect come into play on screen. That blew me away. They told me to blow into the controller and then astro spun a spin-toy he was holding like a fidget spinner to go full steam. The other one that really stood out was the resistance when walkling in sand or in water. You feel sluggish, like the controller adds a touch of weight to feel weighted down as if you were there. I could feel sand pebbles hitting the controller in the sand storm walking against the wind too, and when hitting the trigger to the fullest you feel as if you're using real muscles to get through the sand if that makes any sense.

I was a bit leary, "what is it do shake all the time type thing" but not at all. It's legit.

Last edited:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Tbh it would be hard to imagine wo using it.
One ex ample is you can literally blow "into" the controller and have that "spinning" effect come into play on screen. That blew me away. They told me to blow into the controller and then astro spun a spin-toy he was holding like a fidget spinner to go full steam. The other one that really stood out was the resistance when walkling in sand or in water. You feel sluggish, like the controller adds a touch of weight to feel weighted down as if you were there. I could feel sand pebbles hitting the controller in the sand storm walking against the wind too, and when hitting the trigger to the fullest you feel as if you're using real muscles to get through the sand if that makes any sense.

I was a bit leary, "what is it do shake all the time type thing" but not at all. It's legit.
Wow, that sounds amazing. How is the battery life on the new controller? It was one of my gripes about the last one. We did receive one PS5 dev kit but we got it too late to do anything and I haven't had a chance to check it out. Nothing from Microsoft yet.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds amazing. How is the battery life on the new controller? It was one of my gripes about the last one. We did receive one PS5 dev kit but we got it too late to do anything and I haven't had a chance to check it out. Nothing from Microsoft yet.
So far good battery hold but not long enough to really test it tbh. Was charged all day yesterday, played maybe 2-3 hours last night and still close to fully charged about 90% atleast when done with gaming. Catch or Ominous would have better time with it on that aspect. You're right about the old controllers, I think mine might hold about 8-12 hours before needing recharging.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
So far good battery hold but not long enough to really test it tbh. Was charged all day yesterday, played maybe 2-3 hours last night and still close to fully charged about 90% atleast when done with gaming. Catch or Ominous would have better time with it on that aspect. You're right about the old controllers, I think mine might hold about 8-12 hours before needing recharging.
I complain about the battery life but it just might have been the 10-12 hour playing sessions. LOL! I did finally start turning off the rumble feature on the last controller, just so I could continue the marathon. I've been assigning the controller feedback for years at this studio and I find it to be very rewarding. I went a little crazy with some PS4 titles and got some negative feedback - mainly due to chewing up their battery life. What you're describing with the new controller has some squeaky wheels spinning in my head.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I complain about the battery life but it just might have been the 10-12 hour playing sessions. LOL! I did finally start turning off the rumble feature on the last controller, just so I could continue the marathon. I've been assigning the controller feedback for years at this studio and I find it to be very rewarding. I went a little crazy with some PS4 titles and got some negative feedback - mainly due to chewing up their battery life. What you're describing with the new controller has some squeaky wheels spinning in my head.
That's really cool, I never thought of turning that off until now tbh...duhh. Were you the one making my ps4 controller go nuts every two seconds on some games?

Door slams open: "Liotta, you're hogging up all the memory with your sheninagans on these controllers...you know I don't play by the rules captain...I get results" I'm just assuming you guys spoke like an 80s cop movie bc it's funnier in my head :D

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That's really cool, I never thought of turning that off until now tbh...duhh. Were you the one making my ps4 controller go nuts every two seconds on some games?

Door slams open: "Liotta, you're hogging up all the memory with your sheninagans on these controllers...you know I don't play by the rules captain...I get results" I'm just assuming you guys spoke like an 80s cop movie bc it's funnier in my head :D
LOL, you made me laugh when I really needed it, brother. Yes, I had the notion that the controller should rumble every time you would feel something in the real world. Turns out that it was not the best idea I ever had.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

If I remember correctly, one of our reviews said the guy in charge of the rumble should have been fired yesterday. I thought that was a little harsh.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
LOL, you made me laugh when I really needed it, brother. Yes, I had the notion that the controller should rumble every time you would feel something in the real world. Turns out that it was not the best idea I ever had.
I could see the good intention of that idea in theory, but it could begin to become distracting after awhile. There were a few games that did that where it felt like overkill or really more like they didn't have this type of ps5 controller to express their intent, etc

I got elbow numbness from one that did it too much so know it does phys. get in the way but if the content was good I would never mark a game down bc of controller vibration. You would think the reviewer would have more perspective instead of a first take phys issue negating the rest of the game content. Would be a patch mention or something at most.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I could see good intention or that idea in theory, but it could begin to become distracting after awhile. There were a few games that did that where it felt like overkill or really more like they didn't have this type of ps5 controller to express their intent, etc
They should probably take this away from me but they won't. Most of my job is BS but this part I enjoy.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
They should probably take this away from me but they won't. Most of my job is BS but this part I enjoy.
They better not (and good for keeping it going, every new tech needs time to get the kinks worked out. It's a bit ironic, but I would have been more old school thinking it wasn't as important going forward until I played astro's and used the ps5 controller. Now....It better have this tech going forward!

Test the limits, fail sometimes but try new things. There's not enough of that in gaming, just more original ideas and going out on a limb, etc. I know why, need a ton of $ to even get going and everyone wants a more guarantee going in. But why can't I be a lion hunting gazelles or fighting off a crocodile in 4k/60 fps just off the top of my head. Manhunt (Jaws type game) almost went this route but then went more arcadey but give it credit for something different. I'm not one to talk bc I play a ton of medieval type games, but we are obsessed with that era it seems; Dark Souls, Middle Earth, Diablo and on and on.

No gun, no fps view, new stuff. Rant done :)

Last edited:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
They better not (and good for keeping it going, every new tech needs time to get the kinks worked out. It's a bit ironic, but I would have been more old school thinking it wasn't as important going forward until I played astro's and used the ps5 controller. Now....It better have this tech going forward!

Test the limits, fail sometimes but try new things. There's not enough of that in gaming, just more original ideas and going out on a limb, etc. I know why, need a ton of $ to even get going and everyone wants a more guarantee going in. But why can't I be a lion hunting gazelles or fighting off a crocodile in 4k/60 fps just off the top of my head. Manhunt (Jaws type game) almost went this route but then went more arcadey but give it credit for something different. No gun, no fps view, new stuff. Rant done :)
I love that POV. I'm at a point where they would listen if I had a good game concept. I really don't have it but the brain is trying.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I love that POV. I'm at a point where they would listen if I had a good game concept. I really don't have it but the brain is trying.
It's been awhile but....how about a good football game? :lmao2:"take that EA!" :laugh:
PS5 guilt setting in, I'll catch up with yo later brotha but great chatting as always, appr the back n forth.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Dude you are too cool sometimes, you made this? That game looks fun as hell tbh..not quite as good as NBA Jam ;) Aww I wanna play NBA Jam now...LLLLLL.....JJJJJJJJ! :D

Yep, did 3 years of Backyard Football and Backyard Baseball. I also was a designer on one of the NBA Jam games back in the 90s. I had a pretty small role on that one though.