The Video Game Thread

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
My son got Super Mario Odyssey for the switch, from Santa Claus.

Very good Mario game. We have been playing co op.

A lot of exploring to find power moons. You can take control of different enemies and use their special abilities.

it’s very cool and a great co-op game to play with a kid.
We were lost with the hat control mechanic. I don't know if we got as far as taking control of enemy abilities. I really don't like turning that Switch controller sideways so it could just be me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We were lost with the hat control mechanic. I don't know if we got as far as taking control of enemy abilities. I really don't like turning that Switch controller sideways so it could just be me.

Honestly we use the pro controllers. So we aren’t even messing with the motion controls. We just use the joystick to control
The hat.

I’m not a fan of most
Motion control functions in most games. To be honest.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Honestly we use the pro controllers. So we aren’t even messing with the motion controls. We just use the joystick to control
The hat.

I’m not a fan of most
Motion control functions in most games. To be honest.
I actually meant controlling the hat separate from Mario. Does it work better with the pro? We didn't spend enough time to figure it out.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
My son got Super Mario Odyssey for the switch, from Santa Claus.

Very good Mario game. We have been playing co op.

A lot of exploring to find power moons. You can take control of different enemies and use their special abilities.

it’s very cool and a great co-op game to play with a kid.
I played this with my nephew co-op for a little while and would help him out when he got stuck. I was surprised how fun and sharp it looked it tbh. Had a blast playing that, now helping em out with Luigi's Mansion but he seems better with that one so far. Love those switch titles

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This world tendency stuff in Demon Souls is a bunch of horse malarkey :D I died in human form after beating the tower boss/adjucator(sp?) not realizing that element prevented me from progressing in some ways. Killing that red dragon was just a test in patience, I think it took me 10-15 minutes easily shooting arrows at it from the top of a ledge. The cheese was burning that day :laugh:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
You can use the PS5 controller on the Switch with basic functions. Best controller ever IMO. Playing Zelda with it is a gem, but the Pro controller mixed with Joycons rocks as well.
Oh really? Wish we didn't burn the money on a second pro controller for xmas but eh what are you gonna do. That's a cool feature tbh will keep that in mind next round to see how it feels.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I could be wrong. I tried playing co-op with my wife and it seemed like I was only controlling the hat. We were lost.
I should clarify, a lot of the helping is shoulder surfing or taking the controller for 5-10 mins to get him through some of the harder platforming stuff. So we didn't do actual co-op yet. Bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance for "us" to play later using the pro controllers...personally I don't think he's all that excited about it :D

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I should clarify, a lot of the helping is shoulder surfing or taking the controller for 5-10 mins to get him through some of the harder platforming stuff. So we didn't do actual co-op yet. Bought Marvel Ultimate Alliance for "us" to play later using the pro controllers...personally I don't think he's all that excited about it :D
LoL on the "us" part. I hear you Dad! I assume you are playing with your kid and I'm a little jealous. I only have two stepdaughters who could not care less about my games, let alone playing them with me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I actually meant controlling the hat separate from Mario. Does it work better with the pro? We didn't spend enough time to figure it out.

So if you’re playing co-op. The second player will control cappie. They can throw themselves and just use the joystick to move around and buttons to raise or lower their elevation.

To be honest my son controls cappie so I’ll have to check 100% with him. But I know he doesn’t use motion control with that way.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I played this with my nephew co-op for a little while and would help him out when he got stuck. I was surprised how fun and sharp it looked it tbh. Had a blast playing that, now helping em out with Luigi's Mansion but he seems better with that one so far. Love those switch titles

The switch does have some great titles. Luigis mansion is a ton of fun as well.

I still play the Pokémon games and get a kick out of them. Though they are too easy now as an adult.

I wish you could adjust the difficulty settings on Pokémon. A higher difficulty on Pokémon would be a ton of fun. Even though I know the games are ultimately marketed towards the kiddos.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
So if you’re playing co-op. The second player will control cappie. They can throw themselves and just use the joystick to move around and buttons to raise or lower their elevation.

To be honest my son controls cappie so I’ll have to check 100% with him. But I know he doesn’t use motion control with that way.
Good info! I've got a co-op game idea I'm considering pitching to the bosses so this topic is interesting to me.

HungryLion

Reaction score
So, the Mario 35th anniversary, Nintendo releases Mario 3D all stars with 3 of the most
Popular 3D Mario games ever.

next year there is speculation that Nintendo will do something similar for the 35 year anniversary of Zelda.

If they decided to release a game that included 3
Of the all time Zelda 3D games. What 3 do you think or would you like to see it include?

My 3 are:

1. Ocarina of time (this is a lock)
2. Twilight princess
3. I am kind of torn between windwaker or Majoras mask.

I am going to assume breath of the wild wouldn’t be an option given how recent it is

What is everyone’s thoughts?

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
So, the Mario 35th anniversary, Nintendo releases Mario 3D all stars with 3 of the most
Popular 3D Mario games ever.

next year there is speculation that Nintendo will do something similar for the 35 year anniversary of Zelda.

If they decided to release a game that included 3
Of the all time Zelda 3D games. What 3 do you think or would you like to see it include?

My 3 are:

1. Ocarina of time (this is a lock)
2. Twilight princess
3. I am kind of torn between windwaker or Majoras mask.

I am going to assume breath of the wild wouldn’t be an option given how recent it is

What is everyone’s thoughts?
Lol I'd do naughty things to good people for an Ocarina remaster of some sort. As we've said, greatest game ever IMO. Just as a Zelda freak and my favorite franchise ever the 3 i think I'd take is Twilight and Wind Waker, as much as it pains me to leave Majora out.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Thats awesome dude.

That’s one of my career regrets. Is not going down the game testing/design path. If I could go back to being 18 and undergrad. That’s the path I would probably go.
A lot of people have said that to me over the years and I always say be glad that you didn't. You would be under paid, over worked, kind of insane and probably without your significant other. The divorce rate is incredibly high in the game biz. Most people only last a few years in it because of the burnout factor.

One guy I worked with, who was very successful, literally stormed out of the building one night screaming incoherently. He never came back and ended up working a minimum wage job taking care of Llamas. I'm not joking. I'm a unicorn at this point doing it for over 30 years. Of the thousands of people I have worked with, only a few are still doing it.

I hired my Brother-in-Law's best friend a few years ago and his demeanor has completely changed. I feel guilty and I've considered firing him for his own good. He has a kid to take care of so I can't do it without knowing he has something else lined up.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
LoL on the "us" part. I hear you Dad! I assume you are playing with your kid and I'm a little jealous. I only have two stepdaughters who could not care less about my games, let alone playing them with me.
He's my nephew but love the kid like a son definitely :) I hear you on that element of getting to share activities esp video games with the kids, you get some of the childhood vibes coming back and the nostalgia is great tbh. Letting them score in madden to gain confidence initially, two weeks later they are actually beating you (I was the same way as a kid, leave me that game for a week and I will learn it in and out)

The world could be burning down around you and you wouldn't flinch...meh, well this is now our new world! lol