The Video Game Thread

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember those and wanted one at the time. It really is amazing where TVs have gone. I got a 13" CRT for my bedroom when I was about 10 years old and was the envy of all my friends. They couldn't believe we had two TVs in the house, let alone one in my bedroom.
I had a 9" (I think) Ford Philco TV. It was "futuristic" looking. We even used it when our family's 19" went on the fritz. My youngest brother dropped a penny in the back of the TV. Back then you repaired the TV instead of buying a new one.

A pic of what the TV looked like - even the color is the same. I feel like I'm so old going back down memory lane with this. :)

Philco-Ford_Orange_Retro_TV_%281970s%29.jpg

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I had a 9" (I think) Ford Philco TV. It was "futuristic" looking. We even used it when our family's 19" went on the fritz. My youngest brother dropped a penny in the back of the TV. Back then you repaired the TV instead of buying a new one.

A pic of what the TV looked like - even the color is the same. I feel like I'm so old going back down memory lane with this. :)

Philco-Ford_Orange_Retro_TV_%281970s%29.jpg
LOL, that is awesome. When we got our Atari 800, my Dad bought a 9" "portable" black and white TV for us to play it on because they didn't want us hogging the TV in the living room. That thing weighed at least 60 pounds. So I guess technically, we had 3 TVs in the house once I got my 13" for the bedroom. Young people today don't know how good they've got it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
My first HDTV was the same, but it was a 70". I bought it at Sears and the sales guy had just gone on "his own" on the sales floor a day or so before I walked in. I can't remember just how expensive it was but it easily cleared $3k, so the guy made a nice commission right off the bat. I had it for years until the 3D I have now replaced it. Even though the 3D was smaller at 65" it seemed so much bigger because of the brightness and clarity compared to the DLP projection system. The DLP also had burn in on the sides because there wasn't much HD content back then so the picture didn't cover the whole screen unless I switched it to full screen. My ex-wife never did that because she didn't want to bother with it.

I remember one of the selling points over plasma was no burn it, but my memory is fuzzy. Mine lasted about 10 years. The only thing I had to do was buy 3 different lights over the years, as they would get pretty dim after a while.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
:laugh: I remember toting home a DLP TV back in 2007. I thought that thing was the coolest TV ever. It was a Samsung. To it's credit, besides the bulb getting dim, that TV refused to die. My dad bought a SUPER expensive Mitsubishi DLP at about the same time and that thing went belly up on him. lol

speedkilz88

Reaction score
:laugh: I remember toting home a DLP TV back in 2007. I thought that thing was the coolest TV ever. It was a Samsung. To it's credit, besides the bulb getting dim, that TV refused to die. My dad bought a SUPER expensive Mitsubishi DLP at about the same time and that thing went belly up on him. lol
Did you ever clean the area around the bulb? I got a free one one time where the bulb was suppose to be out and needed replaced. It was just full of dust.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
LG will demo a 'bendable' OLED gaming monitor at CES 2021

dims

At CES 2021, LG Display will be showing off a 48-inch Bendable CSO (Cinematic Sound OLED) display that can switch between a flat screen and a curved screen.

Read Full Story

I'm waiting on the day I can grab my tv, roll it up, throw it under my arm, and take it with my to my next destination. :laugh:

- In all seriousness, that is cool. I love watching tech grow. What's next?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I played an Occulus quest 2 this weekend.

I was blown away.. My first ever VR experience.

I played the Ping Pong game.. Was shocked how it looked like I was actually in a room with someone playing ping pong.

I also did some weird space Frisbee game and it looked and felt like I was floating in space trying to throw a Frisbee.

This VR stuff is the future.. If it's at this stage right now just imagine what It could potentially get to?

A few of my buddies are already talking about getting one and playing cards on it.

I just can't get over it. I did get a little nauseous though from flying around.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I played the Ping Pong game.. Was shocked how it looked like I was actually in a room with someone playing ping pong.

I also did some weird space Frisbee game and it looked and felt like I was floating in space trying to throw a Frisbee.

This VR stuff is the future.. If it's at this stage right now just imagine what It could potentially get to?

A few of my buddies are already talking about getting one and playing cards on it.

I just can't get over it. I did get a little nauseous though from flying around.
Yeah, VR can be a wild ride. I played Resident Evil Biohazard on PS4 VR. It was creepy as hell. It added a whole new dimension to the game. The game Farpoint you use a a plastic rifle as your controller and you load it more realistically than a normal 1st person shooter. I haven't done VR on any other system so I can't comment on its video quality, but the PS VR could use some improvement as it's like looking through a window screen. I rented a golf VR but no matter what I did I could not get the hang of it. I couldn't hit the ball reliably no matter what I did. LOL

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

VR is cool. What it really needs is a less bulky headset, a better way to move in the environment and peripheral vision. There are solutions coming for all of these but they are expensive at the moment. Something like playing cards is perfect for it now. A lot of developers are waiting for a few games to really take off to invest the time and money in it. We put our pinball game out for Oculus and it is easily the best version of the game.

I should add there needs to be a solution to the motion sickness effect. I've had to wear that headset for too many hours so I'm not sure what that is.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
My son got Super Mario Odyssey for the switch, from Santa Claus.

Very good Mario game. We have been playing co op.

A lot of exploring to find power moons. You can take control of different enemies and use their special abilities.

it’s very cool and a great co-op game to play with a kid.