The Video Game Thread

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This is the typical console life cycle. The PS4 will turn 7 next year. That might actually be slightly longer than the norm.

PS - 1994
PS2 - 2000
PS3 - 2006
PS4 - 2013
PS5 - 2020
You're right though initially it did feel too soon. The thing I like about PS5 is that it will be bc with PS4 games so they need to have something big game wise to justify your interest/upgrade. Needs to be must have type game like a God of War or likely Last of Us 2 being a possible excl to PS5 could generate this need for some like me who will be holding out otherwise.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You're right though initially it did feel too soon. The thing I like about PS5 is that it will be bc with PS4 games so they need to have something big game wise to justify your interest/upgrade. Needs to be must have type game like a God of War or likely Last of Us 2 being a possible excl to PS5 could generate this need for some like me who will be holding out otherwise.
Speaking of God of War, it feels like I'm taking forever to get through it. Granted my time I can play is limited, but it feels like I've at least done 12-14 hours, but I don't think I'm even half way through the game. It doesn't look like it when I look out an outline of a walkthrough and see how many sections (main missions?) there are. Maybe I've explored more than I meant to, or perhaps the later sections are shorter, but according to howlongtobeat.com, it's only an 18 hour game (I guess it says 20 now) or so.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
This is the typical console life cycle. The PS4 will turn 7 next year. That might actually be slightly longer than the norm.

PS - 1994
PS2 - 2000
PS3 - 2006
PS4 - 2013
PS5 - 2020

And that is totally fair. I guess the reason it feels so soon to me is possibly in the way I see time these days. It felt like I just bought these consoles in 2013 and that was just a few years ago. This decade has just flown by. Of course, it also doesn't help I have bought many variations of them. I dropped coin for the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S and X. LOL So it is not going to be very easy telling the wife I need a PS5. :D

Speaking of God of War, it feels like I'm taking forever to get through it. Granted my time I can play is limited, but it feels like I've at least done 12-14 hours, but I don't think I'm even half way through the game. It doesn't look like it when I look out an outline of a walkthrough and see how many sections (main missions?) there are. Maybe I've explored more than I meant to, or perhaps the later sections are shorter, but according to howlongtobeat.com, it's only an 18 hour game (I guess it says 20 now) or so.

I love that website! Glad to see I'm not the only one that visits it. God of War did feel like it took me awhile to get through, and honestly, I pretty much just smashed through it quickly as I had it from Gamefly. You can keep games for as long as you want but after a certain time I just kind of feel the need to send a game back and keep my rotation fresh. I'm just weird like that. lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I started to get back into RDR2. I think I am now at like 68% Main Story completion. No matter how much I play that game I am continuously floored by that map they put together. Just a gorgeous world.
Im gonna circle back to it next. I got an itch lol. Right now I want to do Blood and Wine again on Witcher 3. Absolutely amazing DLC. May be the best DLC I have ever played

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bethesda migh be holding one of both of Starfield and Elder Scrolls out for PS5.

My guess is Starfield comes out towards the end of the PS4 cycle life and gets ported to PS5 shortly after PS5 is released ala GTA5. Last of Us and Diablo 3.

I think TES 6 will be a PS5 release

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Im gonna circle back to it next. I got an itch lol. Right now I want to do Blood and Wine again on Witcher 3. Absolutely amazing DLC. May be the best DLC I have ever played
Is blood and wine that good? I bought that DLC after I finished the main game but never went about reloading it and starting it back up. Almost forgot how good Witcher 3 was, almost gets lost in the shuffle coming out earlier this gen.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is blood and wine that good? I bought that DLC after I finished the main game but never went about reloading it and starting it back up. Almost forgot how good Witcher 3 was, almost gets lost in the shuffle coming out earlier this gen.
Yes it is. You really get lost in it

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Its definitely worth a play through. In fact if you just wanted to do the DLC you can start a game from there without playing the main content.

Huge, beautiful zone. Although I think Novigrad has more personality, Beaucliar is the best looking location in the game. Great storyline. Ton and tons side content.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Its definitely worth a play through. In fact if you just wanted to do the DLC you can start a game from there without playing the main content.

Huge, beautiful zone. Although I think Novigrad has more personality, Beaucliar is the best looking location in the game. Great storyline. Ton and tons side content.
Oh that's really cool then, that was the only hesitation tbh. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn DLC. I bought it on sale a ways back but haven't gotten around to that one either but ran through the main story. Almost like I got two new games :D

Lutonio

Reaction score
Anyone playing Mortal Kombat? I'm going wait for the collector's edition so I can have all the characters. I will get whooped online anyway lol so no rush.

No, but I'm hearing good things about it. I would encourage you to pick up sooner rather than later before nothing is left online but the freaks.

That's how fighting games work. I know because that's me on For Honor.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No, but I'm hearing good things about it. I would encourage you to pick up sooner rather than later before nothing is left online but the freaks.

That's how fighting games work. I know because that's me on For Honor.
Fair point tbh and could see that taking awhile this round...XL irked me after buying all the Leatherface, Jason, Predator, characters, etc. Watching that SonicFox freak makes me want to quit bf I even start...plus theyr'e adding Spawn in this 1st kombat pack. I'll probably get it used and after that kombo pack would probably set me at orig. price.

Lutonio

Reaction score
Fair point tbh and could see that taking awhile this round...XL irked me after buying all the Leatherface, Jason, Predator, characters, etc. Watching that SonicFox freak makes me want to quit bf I even start...plus theyr'e adding Spawn in this 1st kombat pack. I'll probably get it used and after that kombo pack would probably set me at orig. price.

Rumor is they're also adding Ash Williams (Evil Dead) and Terminator to this one.

Don't let the tournament/professional players weird you out. Mortal Kombat has enough of a kasual krowd that you can get some matches against normal people too.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Anyone here like FPS games?
This is Hell Let Loose, a WW2 themed realistic online shooter with teams of 50v50, which includes tanks/etc. I played the beta for a bit and really had a good time. If you are indeed interested it has its own website and will be released on Steam this Thursday.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well, that #2 game disc of MASS EFFECT was the demise of my ps3 game unit as it would seize up game play about middle /halfway thru saying corrupted data unsupported or some kinda' B.S. like that, so I played the 3rd game disc(it ended in a pretty cheesy fashion) but felt deprived of my full gaming experience & ran the #2 game disc again, well it vapor locked in about the same area of play,up to the point where it would just continually attempt to reboot after clearing the corrupted data& restart ,it would stop at 48% and sit there for 15-20 minutes, then rocket shoot to 100%,,& run the same problem thing up on the screen.