The Video Game Thread

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Anyone here ever play games on Steam? I've always been a console gamer. But Steam is intriguing... I just downloaded it and I'm thinking about just rolling with Steam and a controller because I gotta have a controller for football games.

I have one, but I don't use it much. Mainly because my laptop is crap. I'd be willing to play though.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Anyone here ever play games on Steam? I've always been a console gamer. But Steam is intriguing... I just downloaded it and I'm thinking about just rolling with Steam and a controller because I gotta have a controller for football games.

Yes!
I remember when Steam first was released around 2004-ish, if you installed Half Life 2 you had to install Steam just to play the game. The PC gaming world, myself included were pretty unhappy with Steam at the time. Who knew at the time it would become as big as it is.
I have 200 games + in my Steam library, have played a handful of games with a controller but mostly used K/M. Once i started PC gaming the consoles grew dust.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yes!
I remember when Steam first was released around 2004-ish, if you installed Half Life 2 you had to install Steam just to play the game. The PC gaming world, myself included were pretty unhappy with Steam at the time. Who knew at the time it would become as big as it is.
I have 200 games + in my Steam library, have played a handful of games with a controller but mostly used K/M. Once i started PC gaming the consoles grew dust.

Love the reply.

I had a feeling I was late to the party...

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I have one, but I don't use it much. Mainly because my laptop is crap. I'd be willing to play though.

I like football games, and fighting games. Mostly, all sports. Even the hockey, soccer, golf, basketball, boxing ones..

I'll play anything though. I got way into this game called Lord of Ultima back in the day, it was like a 2d MMORPG, which I used to play one like it with various attack waves using jets, turrets, tanks, etcetera. But LoU was the shizzy. I would love to play that with the right team.

My laptop is midgrade too. But for most things, I think that's all you really need. I'm just doing it for fun.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I like football games, and fighting games. Mostly, all sports. Even the hockey, soccer, golf, basketball, boxing ones..

I'll play anything though. I got way into this game called Lord of Ultima back in the day, it was like a 2d MMORPG, which I used to play one like it with various attack waves using jets, turrets, tanks, etcetera. But LoU was the shizzy. I would love to play that with the right team.

My laptop is midgrade too. But for most things, I think that's all you really need. I'm just doing it for fun.

I don't for fun as well, which is good haha. I like sports games. I also, when on Steam, play a lot of TF2.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The FTC has fined Epic games{developer of Fortnite} $520 million for privacy violations and deceptive "dark patterns" in Fortnite
FTC orders Epic Games to pay $520M for privacy violations and deceptive ‘dark patterns’ in Fortnite | Massively Overpowered (massivelyop.com)

"Epic Games has just received a walloping from the US Federal Trade Commission in the form of two massive payout settlements for violating the privacy of its users and employing deceptive “dark pattern” tricks to dupe people into buying things they didn’t want.

The first settlement is a $275M fine for violating the FTC’s Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) rule by collecting the personal data of children without adult consent and leaving text and voice chat open by default for children and teens. The government body holds that Epic used “privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users.” In addition, the game will now be required to adjust its default settings for users under the age of 13 unless given parental consent, which must be granted via a privacy setting.

On top of the fine, Epic has agreed to pay $245M to refund customers who were tricked into purchases through “counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration.” According to the FTC, Epic “ignored more than one million user complaints and repeated employee concerns that ‘huge’ numbers of users were being wrongfully charged.”

This isn’t the only recent legal action that Fortnite is facing: Epic is also staring down the barrel of a 2019 class-action lawsuit in Montreal, Canada, that claims the shooter is “knowingly created […] to be as addictive as possible.” The suit was recently given permission to move forward by a judge in the country"

Not a fan of Epic games, their game platform or especially *Tencent* which has about a 45% stake in the company.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
The FTC has fined Epic games{developer of Fortnite} $520 million for privacy violations and deceptive "dark patterns" in Fortnite
FTC orders Epic Games to pay $520M for privacy violations and deceptive ‘dark patterns’ in Fortnite | Massively Overpowered (massivelyop.com)

"Epic Games has just received a walloping from the US Federal Trade Commission in the form of two massive payout settlements for violating the privacy of its users and employing deceptive “dark pattern” tricks to dupe people into buying things they didn’t want.

The first settlement is a $275M fine for violating the FTC’s Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) rule by collecting the personal data of children without adult consent and leaving text and voice chat open by default for children and teens. The government body holds that Epic used “privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users.” In addition, the game will now be required to adjust its default settings for users under the age of 13 unless given parental consent, which must be granted via a privacy setting.

On top of the fine, Epic has agreed to pay $245M to refund customers who were tricked into purchases through “counterintuitive, inconsistent, and confusing button configuration.” According to the FTC, Epic “ignored more than one million user complaints and repeated employee concerns that ‘huge’ numbers of users were being wrongfully charged.”

This isn’t the only recent legal action that Fortnite is facing: Epic is also staring down the barrel of a 2019 class-action lawsuit in Montreal, Canada, that claims the shooter is “knowingly created […] to be as addictive as possible.” The suit was recently given permission to move forward by a judge in the country"

Not a fan of Epic games, their game platform or especially *Tencent* which has about a 45% stake in the company.
I saw this story and all I can say is wow. What's crazy is they are making so much money and Fortnite is so popular that I don't think this really changes that much for them. It's hard to wrap my brain around the money that is involved with these games.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Yes!
I distinctly remember when Steam launched. I was playing in a 9v9 league for the game Team Fortress Classic way back then. Our WONIDs needed to be converted to SteamIDs and the league needed our new IDs in order to play in the match that week. I've been an user of Steam since September 2003. Almost 20 years. Although I don't have as many games in my library as you. I only have 161 games. :D

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I distinctly remember when Steam launched. I was playing in a 9v9 league for the game Team Fortress Classic way back then. Our WONIDs needed to be converted to SteamIDs and the league needed our new IDs in order to play in the match that week. I've been an user of Steam since September 2003. Almost 20 years. Although I don't have as many games in my library as you. I only have 161 games. :D

You got me beat, i have been a member since 2009. Also got a bunch of games in my library that haven't been touched or only played a hour or 2. However, Men of War Assault Squad 1 and 2 and Napoleon Total War i have amassed over 3000 hours of playtime. :laugh::lmao2:I remember seeing Half Life 2 in Comp Usa and decided not to purchase because i didn't want to mess with Steam at the time. If i remember correctly the source code for the game was stolen from Gabe's PC.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I saw this story and all I can say is wow. What's crazy is they are making so much money and Fortnite is so popular that I don't think this really changes that much for them. It's hard to wrap my brain around the money that is involved with these games.

Sadly probably nothing for them. I am not a fan of Tencent or Epic games, i'll let you check them out and form your own opinion. Tencent - Wikipedia