The Video Game Thread

Lutonio

Reaction score
Has anyone played Pokémon scarlet or violet yet?

I am very intrigued as it’s the first open world pokemon game but I hear the game is riddled with bugs currently. So I haven’t bought it yet and I’m waiting for it to get patched up.

I’ve been playing it along with my wife. I’m really not enjoying it — especially after playing Temtem and how good of monster catching game that is.

I don’t know all these reports on bugs. I haven’t encountered one yet. But it runs poorly on the Switch. It’s ugly and the frame rate is awful, and I generally don’t care about graphics if the game is fun.

The battles are the same they have been since 1998 with no innovation. The open world is a lie. Or maybe illusion is a better word. It’s true you can go to different places, but some places are literally road blocked off by Team Star until you deal with them, and the gyms do not scale to your level. Sure, you COULD go to the ice gym right away. But that gym leader’s Pokémon are level 55. So you know where you’re going first? Yep, the bug gym to beat up on some level 9 spiders.

Nothing scales to level, so there is still an order you need to do it.

It’s not open world, but pick up Temtem if you need a monster catching game — especially if you have someone to play through with you. Every battle in that game is 2v2, so you can co op all the way through. Dungeons, bosses, gyms (called dojos in that game). Literally the whole thing.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving! Here's some games you can get right now for free! Enjoy!

Although it doesn't look great at half time, hopefully Dez's words ring true again!
CwMxXVk.gif

SlammedZero

Reaction score
The Game Awards aka The Game Trailers was last night. Not posting them all here. Intrigued by this...

Looks interesting. I loved Bioshock, so I'd give this one a chance. You can see some of the Bioshock likeness in the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is also looks like it could be solid.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Looks interesting. I loved Bioshock, so I'd give this one a chance. You can see some of the Bioshock likeness in the game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is also looks like it could be solid.

Yes, first thing i thought was Bioshock too, developer is Ghost Story Games led by Ken Levine who developed the first 2 Bioshock games.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Yes, first thing i thought was Bioshock too, developer is Ghost Story Games led by Ken Levine who developed the first 2 Bioshock games.
Exactly, BioShock is in my top 10 all time favorite games. I agree, one scene literally looks like a location in Rapture. Being developed by Ken Levine automatically puts the game on my radar. :thumbup:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Exactly, BioShock is in my top 10 all time favorite games. I agree, one scene literally looks like a location in Rapture. Being developed by Ken Levine automatically puts the game on my radar. :thumbup:
Bioshock was SO good. Not only the gameplay, but the storyline was incredible. On one hand, I'm stoked Hollywood is going to make a show about it, but on the other, I'm also scared to death that they're going to mess this up. They usually do. They flopped hard with Halo IMO. I was so disappointed with that.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Been playing Need For Speed: Unbound the last couple days. It's a solid arcade racer. Graphics are really crisp. Map is great. Gameplay is about what you would expect. Their decision to add cartoon characters and anime effects to the cars against realistic graphics was an interesting one, and I'm still unsure about it, but you do seem to get used to it. I have heard there are ways to turn it off or limit it, but haven't tried it yet. This game seems like it's definitely more of a grind. You have to actually buy into races, so it's not quite as easy as just winning races and stacking money. The worst part of this game is the music. It's absolutely horrible. Need for Speed games have always been hit or miss in the music department, but I can usually find a couple tracks here and there in the game that I like, but so far, no dice on this one. All the tracks sound the same, there appears to be no variation, and it's just overall bad. Of course this is subjective, but it's not for me.

Overall though, I'm having fun with it. Would I pay $69 for it? Probably not, but I have seen that it's already on sale for as low as $40 at some retailers. I would probably pay that, but with Xbox and EA partnered up, there is no telling when it might hit GamePass.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Got an email from Sony about pre-ordering PS5 VR2. Cost is $550. That's a hard pass for me. I want one too, but not at that price.
I got the VR1.....basically for Skyrim. Nothing else that was released on it drew my interest. Luckily I have a nephew who was 13 at the time. I gave it to him, he wore it out, and I got my money's worth. Fwiw Skyrim in was pretty sick, even if it was the PS3 version of the game.

The Horizon game coming out on VR2 looks pretty sweet, and I am a Horizon fanboi. But Im gonna pass this time around. Nephew has a job, and a girl now anyways lol

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Anyone ever play the PC Strategy game "Surviving Mars?"

Got it free on Amazon Prime, and spend hours on it, but still struggle to win it.

Reminds me of Frost Punk, another great civilization building strategy game.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got the VR1.....basically for Skyrim. Nothing else that was released on it drew my interest. Luckily I have a nephew who was 13 at the time. I gave it to him, he wore it out, and I got my money's worth. Fwiw Skyrim in was pretty sick, even if it was the PS3 version of the game.

The Horizon game coming out on VR2 looks pretty sweet, and I am a Horizon fanboi. But Im gonna pass this time around. Nephew has a job, and a girl now anyways lol
I had the VR1 for PS4 and I liked it, but it was a pain to set it up. One of my favorite games to play was Resident Evil -Bio Hazard. That game was intense. I gave my PS4 to my daughter. I'm visiting her for Christmas and we're going to play some VR games I'm sure.