The Video Game Thread

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That bad? PC specs? Have hear mixed reports on optimization. There are a couple mods/fixes for those with Nvidia cards that are supposed to help.
I have a 2080 Super and a pretty good CPU. Whether I put the game in 1440p or 1080p at medium or high settings, I'm still getting low FPS. Even used the upscaler mod and getting hit with low FPS.

Hopefully the day one patch fixes some things. But it's Bethesda, I'm not really counting on it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I have a 2080 Super and a pretty good CPU. Whether I put the game in 1440p or 1080p at medium or high settings, I'm still getting low FPS. Even used the upscaler mod and getting hit with low FPS.

Hopefully the day one patch fixes some things. But it's Bethesda, I'm not really counting on it.
What cpu? I'm going to try with my i7 4790k, and 1070. There's a YouTube video of a guy with the same processor and 6700 XT and getting decent frame rates

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What cpu? I'm going to try with my i7 4790k, and 1070. There's a YouTube video of a guy with the same processor and 6700 XT and getting decent frame rates
i9-10900K

Should be good enough for 1440p with a target of 60fps, especially with upscaling. Day one patch with Nvidia driver update may help some things. We'll see.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I do not own Starfield, but sometimes there are one or two settings you can set to "low" or "disabled/off" in games that make more difference than the default "medium", "low", etc. settings do.

On my last gaming system that was several years old, I was able to run a lot of games better on mostly high settings with 1 or 2 options disabled than I could by using the default "low" settings.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I do not own Starfield, but sometimes there are one or two settings you can set to "low" or "disabled/off" in games that make more difference than the default "medium", "low", etc. settings do.

On my last gaming system that was several years old, I was able to run a lot of games better on mostly high settings with 1 or 2 options disabled than I could by using the default "low" settings.
Found this online, Crowd density should be set to low, Motion blur =OFF and Film Grain slid all the way to the left. Also supposedly render scale goes from 50-100, may set it on 75 and see if that helps.
pc-graphic-settings-v0-ks4-Fvae-BCJ8ljbh-MYjk-Ui-As-Gqhsxwohabo-Ianu-Ecc.webp

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I've actually been hearing pretty good things about the game. :shrug:

I've heard from several people that there is A LOT to do in the game. I'm excited to check it out.
Me too, only a couple days to go. Fanatical and GMG last i checked had the game for about 17% off discount. Can't wait to see what modders are going to do with this.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've actually been hearing pretty good things about the game. :shrug:

I've heard from several people that there is A LOT to do in the game. I'm excited to check it out.

Here are some thoughts after digging in a bit more.

- Combat is alot of fun. Weapons are satisfying. Variety has been meh so far, but they get far with the pistol/shotgun/rifle formula.

- Questing is very Bethesda. Alot of "dungeons". Probably not as satisfying as Morrowind and Skyrim, but much better than Oblivion. Probably about the level of Fallouts larger delves (which were too few in 4)

- You can jump into faction questlines pretty quickly. They are ok. Not Skyrim Theives Guild/DB quality, but better than Oblivions

- Im only a few mains in as I veered into the factions, but from what I see online the main quest line is pretty meaty. Ive been seeing some people say they best way to play is just do the main quests, then go for 100% on NG+.

- Ship fighting is pretty fun. But I haven't figured how to really search more of that out

-Fast travel is a mess. If you are doing it for a quest, do it in the quest log not a map

- I havent really explored planets much, but when I have there isnt much there. Alot of running around and farming nodes. When they do their first patch, Id really like to see them add some more enemy encounters on the planets.

Shameful optimization.
Justified. They did say before that it wasnt going to look as good as Forbidden West, but I expected better graphically. Maybe they got too ambitious with scope and made too much game to focus on optimization. Its definitely not the Cyberpunk trainwreak, but I think there could be a comparison to CDPR focusing on scope. Bethesda at least finished the game lol

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Hope so, and that rig should be plenty good at 1440p probably even decent at 4K.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

GeForce RTX 2080 Super ---
at 4k ultra 32.2% (36.7fps)
at 1440p ultra 46.0% (65.8fps)

"All of the scores are scaled relative to the top-ranking 1080p ultra card, which in our new suite is the RTX 4090

The rtx 4090 is 100% with 114.1 fps at 4k ultra and 143.1 fps at 1440p ultra

The 2080 super is 36.7 fps at 4k ultra and 65.8fps at 1440p ultra

I just built a computer and found this to be helpful

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ill say this, I think Skyrim was a better game. A huge win for Bethesda is that is going to become a very unpopular opinion very quickly

SlammedZero

Reaction score
So, I haven't had a lot of time with it, but so far it's intrigued me enough. I'm still kind of figuring things out. I'm grabbing random stuff from all over the place and throwing it into my inventory, and, I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet. lol I'll get there though. The traveling is a bit cumbersome as well, but maybe it'll get better as I get used to the game.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So, I haven't had a lot of time with it, but so far it's intrigued me enough. I'm still kind of figuring things out. I'm grabbing random stuff from all over the place and throwing it into my inventory, and, I'm not quite sure what to do with it yet. lol I'll get there though. The traveling is a bit cumbersome as well, but maybe it'll get better as I get used to the game.
Its a slow burn. It really starts picking.

With fast travel you can do it from the quest log. Its so much easier than using the map

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Fallout and Elder Scrolls > Starfield. Even though I'm really enjoying it for the most part. Some people have gotten stuck in endless death Loops and can't even load a past save. Oof...I honestly expected more imo.