The Video Game Thread

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So, the layoffs in the video game biz finally found me again. 19 years at this studio and I just got the hook. Didn't even get severance pay. I'm going to apply to work on Madden so send me your ideas for the game other than "quit making the same game every year." Maybe you'll help me land a job. I guarantee the Cowboy players will be overrated for your benefit.
I haven't played Madden in a few years, so I don't even know if these features have even made it in the game yet.

But there needs to be a bigger emphasis on scouting and coaching hires. If you look at a game like Front Office Football - the coaching staff you put together will have different views on players that hit FA or are in the draft. Some staffs will view a potential player higher than another coaching staff. It was way way too easy to stack your team in Madden because ratings make it impossible to miss.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I haven't played Madden in a few years, so I don't even know if these features have even made it in the game yet.

But there needs to be a bigger emphasis on scouting and coaching hires. If you look at a game like Front Office Football - the coaching staff you put together will have different views on players that hit FA or are in the draft. Some staffs will view a potential player higher than another coaching staff. It was way way too easy to stack your team in Madden because ratings make it impossible to miss.
I really like what you're talking about here. Sports games are currently all about the player ratings and this idea emphasizes scheme and coaching. I love the idea of scheme fit as it obviously matters. It would also be really cool to have an invisible "intangible" rating that affected player development. Players like Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice were not the especially gifted physically but they made up for it in other ways. I haven't purchased Madden in the last 3 years so I should start there. I actually had a job offer from EA to work on Madden years ago, but I turned it down. Seriously going to apply Monday morning.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I really like what you're talking about here. Sports games are currently all about the player ratings and this idea emphasizes scheme and coaching. I love the idea of scheme fit as it obviously matters. It would also be really cool to have an invisible "intangible" rating that affected player development. Players like Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice were not the especially gifted physically but they made up for it in other ways. I haven't purchased Madden in the last 3 years so I should start there. I actually had a job offer from EA to work on Madden years ago, but I turned it down. Seriously going to apply Monday morning.
Some devs used to go on Operation Sports back in the day and I actually brought up stuff about hidden intangibles and attributes but nothing ever caught on and many members were actually against it - this was before MUT took hold of the community so I can't imagine it has gotten much better.

To be honest, the best sports simulators are still text based at this point.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
So, the layoffs in the video game biz finally found me again. 19 years at this studio and I just got the hook. Didn't even get severance pay. I'm going to apply to work on Madden so send me your ideas for the game other than "quit making the same game every year." Maybe you'll help me land a job. I guarantee the Cowboy players will be overrated for your benefit.
Sorry to hear that.

Madden fans offline are simple people. Outside of gameplay of course, I think if the franchise / owner mode is brought back to what it was back in 2008, people would be happy.

The AI in that game was smart with the roster management.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Sorry to hear man!!! Seems crazy that the gaming industry is so gigantic these days, yet there are still layoffs. I'm sure you'll bounce back on your feet.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I miss old school sports games that were more arcade like if that makes sense. Tecmo bowl and nba jam just felt silly but fun. Maybe my skill levels just aren’t up to playing a more simulation style sports game.
I love(d) NBA Jam. Absolutely classic.

I definitely miss the simplicity behind older games as well. Even Madden. Now it's so oversaturated with crap through the menu, it almost feels over-whelming. Now they have all these intense modes, Madden cards you have to unlock, and etc. etc. I just miss it back when you would fire the game up and they had a simple Season mode. Select 'Season' mode. Select Cowboys. Play season. Easy as that.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sorry to hear man!!! Seems crazy that the gaming industry is so gigantic these days, yet there are still layoffs. I'm sure you'll bounce back on your feet.
Thank you. At least in my case, they laid off most of the studio, so I wasn't singled out. More of a combination of bad times for smaller game companies and some poor decisions on what we worked on. I will still have fond memories of the games and people I got to work with. Hopefully I land another gig but I'm not sure how that is going to go.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you. At least in my case, they laid off most of the studio, so I wasn't singled out. More of a combination of bad times for smaller game companies and some poor decisions on what we worked on. I will still have fond memories of the games and people I got to work with. Hopefully I land another gig but I'm not sure how that is going to go.
I thought about you a couple of weeks ago when I saw a headline stating the fact a lot of game companies are laying off people. I see from your post you got snared. It seems strange there are layoffs in the gaming industry as supposedly it's bigger than most entertainment options. I'm sure you will get back on your feet.
I cannot comment on Madden. I'm not a sports video game player and I don't know why.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I thought about you a couple of weeks ago when I saw a headline stating the fact a lot of game companies are laying off people. I see from your post you got snared. It seems strange there are layoffs in the gaming industry as supposedly it's bigger than most entertainment options. I'm sure you will get back on your feet.
I cannot comment on Madden. I'm not a sports video game player and I don't know why.
The game industry is I guess like anything else these days with the haves and have nots. My (former) boss actually became a full-fledged politician after starting out running a small game studio. What's kind of funny is that he paid almost everyone severance except me with the agreement that they would not disparage the company. I have no such agreement and know all the dirt. Hmm..

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Haha at some of the top streaming gamers that can't handle Shadows of The Erdtree. The game then made them self delete lol. But admitted the game is savagery and brutal, but I love it. It takes a certain sicko to love From games. Greatest Game EVER

Shinaoi

Reaction score
towards the end of Elden ring I switched from a strength build to a faster build and some katana. Now I’m trying to remember what exactly I was doing build wise.