The Video Game Thread

SlammedZero

Reaction score
So I've had some time with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I'm going to compare it with Wildlands a lot, so hopefully you've played that. My thoughts to far is that it' pretty solid. I feel like it's a mix of Wildlands and The Division. So far I feel like Wildlands was better overall, but, I am willing to let this game grow on me. My thoughts so far:

Game mechanics are much the same as Wildlands with aiming, reloading, drone usage (you still have a drone). There are lots of vehicles and helicopters. There are plenty of things to do around the map with main missions, side missions, weapon upgrades, and etc. You can collect trivial things like hats, boots, and other apparel. I'm not sure yet if any of that helps improve your character or if it is just for aesthetics. You scrap items you've collected to craft upgrades. Map seems large, but, I don't think it is as big as Wildlands. That map was gigantic. Of course, as per the new gaming norm, they push micro-transactions. They have Ghost coin that you can buy and then purchase different guns and what not if you don't feel like grinding/hunting for them. They also have an in game currency that you can find and I believe spend on items in a shop at your home base. This game appears to require much more stealth. So far during my exploring I have ran into plenty of the miliart militia that is hunting for you by way of ground, air, and drone. So, you definitely can't free roam the map as much as you could with Wildlands. Graphics are solid, however, there is something about them bothering me that I just can't quite put my finger on. I wasn't a big fan of how they have you adjust the HDR at the beginning of the game, so I have been slowly tweaking it trying to find a sweet spot. Some scenes seem dark and others washed out. They definitely push you to try and invite people or play with others online, but honestly, I'd rather chug around on my own.

So, overall, a mix of Wildlands and The Division and has my attention enough that I am continue to play. It's very solid but I am not going to tell you to drop everything and go purchase this game right away. Unless you really love these Ghost Recon series, I'd wait until prices drop.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
As far as I understand (i.e. have read) the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible. Would be a really poor choice by them if it wasn't IMO. I also read that they're finally going to include a 4K bluray player. Never understood the lack of that on the PS4, especially on the Pro.

So far during my exploring I have ran into plenty of the miliart militia that is hunting for you by way of ground, air, and drone. So, you definitely can't free roam the map as much as you could with Wildlands.

*military militia

Also, I should clarify. You can free roam the map all you want. What I meant is you can't carelessly free roam the map as much as Wildlands because everywhere you go you have these militia soldiers looking for you. So you definitely have to be on your toes.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My buddy and I have started playing MajorMUD again. We always end up going back. It doesn't have the flashy graphics of today's games, but it's just a flat out better game than most of the crap on the market today.

1*nLQ1edri9phLk4lVP0nRDQ.png

Zordon

Reaction score
So I've had some time with Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I'm going to compare it with Wildlands a lot, so hopefully you've played that. My thoughts to far is that it' pretty solid. I feel like it's a mix of Wildlands and The Division. So far I feel like Wildlands was better overall, but, I am willing to let this game grow on me. My thoughts so far:

Game mechanics are much the same as Wildlands with aiming, reloading, drone usage (you still have a drone). There are lots of vehicles and helicopters. There are plenty of things to do around the map with main missions, side missions, weapon upgrades, and etc. You can collect trivial things like hats, boots, and other apparel. I'm not sure yet if any of that helps improve your character or if it is just for aesthetics. You scrap items you've collected to craft upgrades. Map seems large, but, I don't think it is as big as Wildlands. That map was gigantic. Of course, as per the new gaming norm, they push micro-transactions. They have Ghost coin that you can buy and then purchase different guns and what not if you don't feel like grinding/hunting for them. They also have an in game currency that you can find and I believe spend on items in a shop at your home base. This game appears to require much more stealth. So far during my exploring I have ran into plenty of the miliart militia that is hunting for you by way of ground, air, and drone. So, you definitely can't free roam the map as much as you could with Wildlands. Graphics are solid, however, there is something about them bothering me that I just can't quite put my finger on. I wasn't a big fan of how they have you adjust the HDR at the beginning of the game, so I have been slowly tweaking it trying to find a sweet spot. Some scenes seem dark and others washed out. They definitely push you to try and invite people or play with others online, but honestly, I'd rather chug around on my own.

So, overall, a mix of Wildlands and The Division and has my attention enough that I am continue to play. It's very solid but I am not going to tell you to drop everything and go purchase this game right away. Unless you really love these Ghost Recon series, I'd wait until prices drop.
I got my hands on the beta. The game was dumpster juice times 10. Wonky movement and animations, gunplay felt terrible, so boring , no impact at all. RPG elements, weapon scores, armor scores ...W T F IS THIS **** lol. We're supposed to be spec ops, not division agents.

When they revealed the game they said how they consulted with spec ops members and took their input ... please.

Disappointing.

efh313

Reaction score
Wow, the PS5 sounds legit. Sucks, I feel like I just dropped coin for my PS4 Pro not that long ago. As much as I am going to want to, I may hold out a bit before jumping right into these new consoles. It's expensive to play keep up. :laugh:
And worse, as a father of twin 8yr olds... who has time to game at all anymore???
I’ve been enjoying the heck out of my Nintendo Switch because I can play in bed before crashing... which is about my only game time anymore.

Also, I’ve jumped in and bought first gen PS 3 and PS 4 and both times felt kind of screwed over when the Slim and Pro versions were released later with better hardware attached.

So all of that means, I am going to be distraught but will hold out for the BETTER PS5 that drops in a year or 3 after initial release.