The Video Game Thread

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I am about to start playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the nintendo Switch.

I know it’s supposed to be a massive open world game. Are there any tips I should know about before beginning?

Keep me posted. I'm interested. I have been LOVING the Switch. What an outstanding system Nintendo made. I went on a crazy spree a day or two ago and brought home Super Mario Deluxe, Mario Party, Shaq-**, and then the wife picked up 2 other games I can't recall the name of that peaked her interest.

Surprisingly, we both love Shaq-**. What a fun little game that is. Got it used for $8 too. :laugh:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I have been thinking about picking it up at some point.

Watched some of the role playing servers on YT and they looked fun. Some of them are so popular apparently they have a long waiting que to get in/approved to join the server. I guess on some you have to be "whitelisted"?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Keep me posted. I'm interested. I have been LOVING the Switch. What an outstanding system Nintendo made. I went on a crazy spree a day or two ago and brought home Super Mario Deluxe, Mario Party, Shaq-**, and then the wife picked up 2 other games I can't recall the name of that peaked her interest.

Surprisingly, we both love Shaq-**. What a fun little game that is. Got it used for $8 too. :laugh:
Nintendo gets killed for The U, but really they have competing very well with PS and Microsoft for a while now. IIRC Wii won the 7th Gen console wars

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gave my PSVR to my 12 year old nephew. He is loving it.

It was alot less frustrating to set up this time than when I set it up for myself lol.

bornafan1981

Reaction score
I am about to start playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for the nintendo Switch.

I know it’s supposed to be a massive open world game. Are there any tips I should know about before beginning?

It a very deep game
As suggested earlier, watch youtube videos
Learn about cooking, and what the recipes do
Learn about hunting, fishing and horse mounting
Find a site with guides, I use IGNs, mostly for the shrines
If you are in a storm, beware that lightning will strike you if you have metal weapons
You can find amiibo cards online, that can help with different situations
Have patience and enjoy!!

HungryLion

Reaction score

It’s incredible so far. I have put about 8 hours into it, and haven’t even scratched the surface.

The open world is MASSIVE. I haven’t even fully explored an entire zone yet and from the looks of it, there are more than 10.

I like it so far because it has added an open world survival element to Zelda. Your weapons break, so you have to find weapons and shields. You can kill animals or pick fruits and mushrooms to then cook. Different foods give different bonuses. Like to go up one snow capped mountain. The cold was causing damage to Link. But if you cooked hot peppers into some food and made a spicy dish. The food warmed you up and gave temporary cold resistance.

The world is also highly interactive. You can find flint by using a massive hammer on certain rocks. You then use the flint to light campfires with wood. You can throw rocks at enemies.

I had an axe and actually was able to chop down trees to cross a large gap I needed to cross and couldn’t jump across. I also chopped a tree down onto a sleeping enemy (it was night time) and did massive damage to them.

You do a lot of climbing. But at one point it was raining and the rain was causing my player to slip and I couldn’t climb.

The game is just incredible so far.

And yes. The switch is great. I just got mine in November. I have been enjoying playing Smash Bro’s. Ultimate as well. It’s nice to be able to play games handheld as well.

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It’s incredible so far. I have put about 8 hours into it, and haven’t even scratched the surface.

The open world is MASSIVE. I haven’t even fully explored an entire zone yet and from the looks of it, there are more than 10.

I like it so far because it has added an open world survival element to Zelda. Your weapons break, so you have to find weapons and shields. You can kill animals or pick fruits and mushrooms to then cook. Different foods give different bonuses. Like to go up one snow capped mountain. The cold was causing damage to Link. But if you cooked hot peppers into some food and made a spicy dish. The food warmed you up and gave temporary cold resistance.

The world is also highly interactive. You can find flint by using a massive hammer on certain rocks. You then use the flint to light campfires with wood. You can throw rocks at enemies.

I had an axe and actually was able to chop down trees to cross a large gap I needed to cross and couldn’t jump across. I also chopped a tree down onto a sleeping enemy (it was night time) and did massive damage to them.

You do a lot of climbing. But at one point it was raining and the rain was causing my player to slip and I couldn’t climb.

The game is just incredible so far.

And yes. The switch is great. I just got mine in November. I have been enjoying playing Smash Bro’s. Ultimate as well. It’s nice to be able to play games handheld as well.

Excellent!! Thanks for the review! I will definitely check it out.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone pick up any discounted games (new or old) over the holidays?

All of the selling platforms seemed to have sales going on as usual, so I usually try to replace my older games and pick up a few new games during heavily discount sales promos.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Anyone pick up any discounted games (new or old) over the holidays?

All of the selling platforms seemed to have sales going on as usual, so I usually try to replace my older games and pick up a few new games during heavily discount sales promos.

Got Project Zomboid, Scum and Star Wars empire at war on the Steam sale. Am considering getting GTAV on the Rockstar Games launcher. Really miss the flash sales they used to have during Steam sales, now its just so-so.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Got Project Zomboid, Scum and Star Wars empire at war on the Steam sale. Am considering getting GTAV on the Rockstar Games launcher. Really miss the flash sales they used to have during Steam sales, now its just so-so.
I bought a lot of low-cost old school games on GoG during their winter sale. Love that they are DRM-free and offline-friendly.

I did buy a couple of Steam games (which I normally don't do) and also bought GTA5 directly from RockStar Games.

I also have been claiming most of the free games from the Epic Store for a while so I have a nice little library there as well.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I bought a lot of low-cost old school games on GoG during their winter sale. Love that they are DRM-free and offline-friendly.

I did buy a couple of Steam games (which I normally don't do) and also bought GTA5 directly from RockStar Games.

I also have been claiming most of the free games from the Epic Store for a while so I have a nice little library there as well.

Looking forward to that 90GB download for GTAV, are ya?:lmao2:
I saw Elder Scrolls Online had a sale on the base game, and all 3 expansions for 19.99, being that I already had the base game I reinstalled all 83 GB of it and played for a hour and just couldn't get into it. Not a fan of the level scaling or the combat, something about it just feels off.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Indeed .. I never used to worry about backing up my game drives regularly, but not sure I would install most of the games in the future if I had to download them all again.

The ESO download took around 3 hours on about a 100 Mpbs connection which isn't to horrible. Remember getting and installing EQ2 on release, installing like 10 disks then a patch that was like 2 gigs or so on a horribly slow DSL connection, by the time I got into a server it was like 2am :laugh:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ESO download took around 3 hours on about a 100 Mpbs connection which isn't to horrible. Remember getting and installing EQ2 on release, installing like 10 disks then a patch that was like 2 gigs or so on a horribly slow DSL connection, by the time I got into a server it was like 2am :laugh:
Funny you should say that .. that was the example I was going to give as the worst one I've had so far. I bought it digitally and was shocked how large the download was.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Funny you should say that .. that was the example I was going to give as the worst one I've had so far. I bought it digitally and was shocked how large the download was.

ESO is a monster, I think the biggest size wise of any MMORPG. Am deleting it before bed though to make more space, that and am a stickler for not having things installed that wont see any play.