The Video Game Thread

Juggernaut

Reaction score
KX9DGXD.gif

:laugh:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I remember that, NFL QB Club 2002 I believe? I liked it quite a bit, even then Madden was growing somewhat stale. I also enjoyed the 2k series which I consider the best of the bunch. It is interesting hearing your old war stories, feel free to keep them coming :clap:
I appreciate the interest man. I think the last NFL QB Club we were working on was around 2000. EA got the exclusive NFL rights somewhere in that time frame.

Here's another story that details just how evil EA is. After NFL QB Club was canceled, I moved to the baseball game and finished up on that. Then I took an offer from another studio to be the lead on a football game (no NFL license). I worked on that for 6 months and it was suddenly canceled so I got moved to The Sims being published by the ever-present EA. I worked on that for months and the game is almost done. Then 9/11 happens. A week later they told me to get on a plane and fly out to California for a meeting. I wasn't happy about it but you gotta do what you gotta do. I come to find out that the EA execs considered me a "sports guy" and didn't want me to continue on the Sims. While I was conducting that meeting, they were interviewing my replacement in the next room. I got fired the day I came home from that trip. They also fired everyone I had hired which I still feel guilty about to this day. Some of those guys never got another job in this industry.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I appreciate the interest man. I think the last NFL QB Club we were working on was around 2000. EA got the exclusive NFL rights somewhere in that time frame.

Here's another story that details just how evil EA is. After NFL QB Club was canceled, I moved to the baseball game and finished up on that. Then I took an offer from another studio to be the lead on a football game (no NFL license). I worked on that for 6 months and it was suddenly canceled so I got moved to The Sims being published by the ever-present EA. I worked on that for months and the game is almost done. Then 9/11 happens. A week later they told me to get on a plane and fly out to California for a meeting. I wasn't happy about it but you gotta do what you gotta do. I come to find out that the EA execs considered me a "sports guy" and didn't want me to continue on the Sims. While I was conducting that meeting, they were interviewing my replacement in the next room. I got fired the day I came home from that trip. They also fired everyone I had hired which I still feel guilty about to this day. Some of those guys never got another job in this industry.

That's horrible, what a bunch of you know what's. I don't think I have ever heard anything positive about EA.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That's horrible, what a bunch of you know what's. I don't think I have ever heard anything positive about EA.
I just realized that it was the fourth EA story. The other three were direct layoffs. I actually had an offer to work at Tiburon on Madden at one point and just couldn't do it. I will never work for EA again.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Yeah and what sucks is that EA is such a juggernaut now. It makes it hard not to run into titles they own and play some of their games, but, i definitely wouldn't prop them up as some fantastic company. Heck, the Simcity games used to be/still are one of my favorite (I still play them from time to time) until EA got their hands on Maxis and ruined them.

Activision is really no better IMO. All about that money these days.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I still need to get around to playing that. I've heard absolutely nothing but awesome things about it.

If you have a switch, and have any love for Zelda. Then it’s a must play.

even if you don’t have a history of playing Zelda games. I still recommend.

It’s one of the best “sandbox” style games. A truly open world where you can create your own adventure. There were nights I played where I literally spent 4-5 hours just wandering around and exploring stuff and looking for items.

it has a few shortcomings compared to previous Zelda games, due to the differences of being a truly open world game. But if it’s a sign of things to come with the franchise..... wow.

I spent a solid 100 hours playing the game and still didn’t find everything to be found.

I can’t wait for breath of the wild 2.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It really is an amazing game and the Switch is awesome. I don't think I saw one bug when I played through it. One thing I will say is that for small developers like mine the Switch causes some issues. We want to release on all consoles and Steam at the same time and don't really have the resources to develop for Switch separately. That means the other platforms end up getting the short end a little bit.

That makes sense. Kind of enlightens why the game library on switch varies from the other consoles so much. Nintendo has always kind of marched to the beat of their own drum in that regard.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score

It’s one of the best “sandbox” style games. A truly open world where you can create your own adventure. There were nights I played where I literally spent 4-5 hours just wandering around and exploring stuff and looking for items.

it has a few shortcomings compared to previous Zelda games, due to the differences of being a truly open world game. But if it’s a sign of things to come with the franchise..... wow.

I spent a solid 100 hours playing the game and still didn’t find everything to be found.

Such a classis game. I put 100's of hours into it. Zelda is my favorite franchise ever and Breath is a masterpiece. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time. Breath is right there with the classics!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Eck, that's cold. Sorry to hear that, that's enough to make you go gun shopping. Esp coupled with firing your staff. Messed up

HungryLion

Reaction score
Such a classis game. I put 100's of hours into it. Zelda is my favorite franchise ever and Breath is a masterpiece. Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time. Breath is right there with the classics!

Man ocarina of time. I remember playing that game for the first time and it just. I mean it’s just unbelievable. The sense of wonder and adventure playing that game for the first time really made you feel. Amazing.

I am hoping for more Zelda remakes to make their way to the switch. I have links awakening remake that I haven’t popped in yet. The last time I played it was like 25 years ago on gameboy. So looking forward to revisiting it.

I actually never played skyward sword or Majoras mask. I would love for both of them to make their way to the system so I can play them. As I have heard good things about both.

When breath of the wild 2 comes out. I’m legit already planning on taking several PTO days from work when it comes out, so I can dive right in deep.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score

Everything I have heard about the game has been top notch, I need to get a Switch first but its on my list.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with the Baldurs Gate series BG3 is being released in early access later this month. The developer{Larian} has a very good track record and Divine Divinity is one of my favorite single player RPGs of all time. Anyways, the price is 60$ if you want to buy in on early access release. Not sure how I feel about shelling out 60 for a game that isn't finished.
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-why...-it-launches-in-early-access/?ocid=uxbndlbing
Baldur's Gate 3 is tantalisingly close, or at least the Early Access version is. It's coming at the end of the month, and now we know how much cash will need to be slapped down if you want to take it for a spin early.

According to Larian director of publishing Michael Douse, Baldur's Gate 3 will be $60, making it Larian's priciest PC game. Divinity: Original Sin 2 was $60 on consoles, but on PC it launched at $45.

Twitter, adding that people shouldn't "feel pressured to buy it during EA." As announced last month during the a livestream, the Early Access version will give you a 25-hour adventure that will take you to Faerun, Avernus and the Underdark. Drow and demons, what more could you want? That's just the first act, though, and the finished game will be, not surprisingly, quite a bit longer.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Everything I have heard about the game has been top notch, I need to get a Switch first but its on my list.

I didn’t buy a switch at first either. I actually just got it a little less than a year ago. In December of 2019. It’s a worthwhile investment. I’ve actually been playing the switch more than my X box since then.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I didn’t buy a switch at first either. I actually just got it a little less than a year ago. In December of 2019. It’s a worthwhile investment. I’ve actually been playing the switch more than my X box since then.

My main concern is their library of games isn't enough to warrant a purchase, I already have a PS4 and a very decent gaming PC. I still may spring though.:laugh:

HungryLion

Reaction score
My main concern is their library of games isn't enough to warrant a purchase, I already have a PS4 and a very decent gaming PC. I still may spring though.:laugh:

Admittedly having a 4 year old was a major factor in my decision. Nintendo is the best at making family style games IMO. And I wanted my son to play some of the classics from
When I was a kid.

If not for my son I may not have invested in one either. Though now I am glad I did. After not plying games like Mario party and Mario kart and Zelda and smash bros for years. I forgot how much I enjoy them.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Yeah and what sucks is that EA is such a juggernaut now. It makes it hard not to run into titles they own and play some of their games, but, i definitely wouldn't prop them up as some fantastic company. Heck, the Simcity games used to be/still are one of my favorite (I still play them from time to time) until EA got their hands on Maxis and ruined them.

Funny that you mentioned Maxis. I started working there and withing a few months EA swept in and bought out the owners. We were all laid off the day the deal was finalized. They just want the IPs and don't give a crap about the people working there. I guess it's part of why they are so successful though.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Wow so they basically made you fly across country just to fire you. What scum bags. And don’t blame yourself man. How could you know EA would do that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Funny that you mentioned Maxis. I started working there and withing a few months EA swept in and bought out the owners. We were all laid off the day the deal was finalized. They just want the IPs and don't give a crap about the people working there. I guess it's part of why they are so successful though.

Man, Ultima and Ultima Online are some of my favorite games ever. It’s not lost on me as a fan and gamer that EA mismanaged those games and prevented them from being what they could still be to this day.

All about the $. Without realizing that allowing the artists to make a great game is what will generate more money in the long run.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ve...23/ea-hated-ultima-online-until-it-didnt/amp/

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Wow so they basically made you fly across country just to fire you. What scum bags. And don’t blame yourself man. How could you know EA would do that.
Yes, and it was as brutal as it sounds. I never understood why they made me get on that plane. Why not just fire me before that? This was right after 9/11 too and no one wanted to fly then. People were scared that there might be more hijackings planned. I feel bad for the guys I hired because they were all working at other companies and I lured them with what I thought was a great opportunity. There was definitely some resentment and I can't say I blame them. Bad call on my part.