The Video Game Thread

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I bought my first gaming monitor.

I plan on buying a 4k TV next year when there are more options out so I wanted a budget monitor for under 250.

I went with a AOC 24 G2... Did I do good or could I have done better?

It's for console gaming.

I remember reading something when i was monitor shopping that the higher resolution you go, 2K/4K you want the screen to be as big as you can afford. One some games, especially older ones there is no scaling for the UI/font/text and even on a 32 inch monitor i really have to squint to read it which is no fun.

HungryLion

Reaction score
For those who loved Breath of The Wild, Genshin Impact just released on PS4, PC, and Switch and its free. It'a a solid Zelda ripoff and enjoyable so far. I was even willing to drop some coin on it, so I'm pleased.

I’ve seen the trailers and been thinking about it.

Something about that breath of the wild art style. I find it very visually appealing.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
For those who loved Breath of The Wild, Genshin Impact just released on PS4, PC, and Switch and its free. It'a a solid Zelda ripoff and enjoyable so far. I was even willing to drop some coin on it, so I'm pleased.
ZbjBP2p.jpg

:muttley:

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
looks very relaxing, have had it downloaded for a week or two and haven't played it yet, usually spending too much time on Destiny or Monster Hunter World.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I remember reading something when i was monitor shopping that the higher resolution you go, 2K/4K you want the screen to be as big as you can afford. One some games, especially older ones there is no scaling for the UI/font/text and even on a 32 inch monitor i really have to squint to read it which is no fun.

Yes, my buddy had this issue. He bought a really nice 4K monitor for his desktop and he was telling me how tiny the font was. Totally forgot about that until you brought it up. Definitely food for thought for those monitor shopping.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Don't give them the energy...it's really a just a marketing gimmick for their Ultimate Team mode where they make a lot of money off of kids paying for packages and dumb stuff like that. The Madden rollout was pretty ugly so they did this to draw attention away for about a week. Even the Madden players knew it was BS regarding his rating. They just put a basketball player on that mode...it's more arcade type stuff.

Hey look at shiny Kaepernick while we try to fix this game, etc. Dak is pretty good though :) (85 I think with a good arm)

Last edited:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Don't give them the energy...it's really a just a marketing gimmick for their Ultimate Team mode where they make a lot of money off of kids paying for packages and dumb stuff like that. The Madden rollout was pretty ugly so they did this to draw attention away for about a week. Even the Madden players knew it was BS regarding his rating. They just put a basketball player on that mode...it's more arcade type stuff.

Hey look at shiny Kaepernick while we try to fix this game, etc. Dak is pretty good though :) (85 I think with a good arm)

I actually really enjoyed Madden 21. Had a ton of fun with The Yard. Unfortunately my 10 hour trial is up, and, I'm just hesitant to buy it because I know it will be on EA Game Pass in a few months. :laugh:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I actually really enjoyed Madden 21. Had a ton of fun with The Yard. Unfortunately my 10 hour trial is up, and, I'm just hesitant to buy it because I know it will be on EA Game Pass in a few months. :laugh:
I wouldn't say this years is worse than last years (I like it better), but there's a lot of glitches online. There's been I think 14 patches since release which is nuts. They released the game in beta mode basically. When you play it again you will notice what they clean up on almost after the fact, etc.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I wouldn't say this years is worse than last years (I like it better), but there's a lot of glitches online. There's been I think 14 patches since release which is nuts. They released the game in beta mode basically. When you play it again you will notice what they clean up on almost after the fact, etc.

I do wonder if certain subsidiary game developers have their hand forced by the parent companies to release games prematurely. Call of Duty is like this. You will get small updates every single time you load the game up for awhile. With Call of Duty being on an annual cycle (which really should stop) I think Activision rushes the games out and, like you mentioned, you basically get a beta version when you first buy the game. They just see deadlines and dollar signs.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I do wonder if certain subsidiary game developers have their hand forced by the parent companies to release games prematurely. Call of Duty is like this. You will get small updates every single time you load the game up for awhile. With Call of Duty being on an annual cycle (which really should stop) I think Activision rushes the games out and, like you mentioned, you basically get a beta version when you first buy the game. They just see deadlines and dollar signs.

Yep, publishers have ruined many a game with greed and deadlines.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Activision has a few publishers under their belt for Call of Duty, usually each dev team gets 3 years to develop a CoD game. As for games like Madden and whatever under EA, those devs simply copy/paste year to year and those that work with EA don't seem to care one bit about quality, they've posted enough on social media for me to know the trash they embrace as individuals and as a team.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Activision has a few publishers under their belt for Call of Duty, usually each dev team gets 3 years to develop a CoD game. As for games like Madden and whatever under EA, those devs simply copy/paste year to year and those that work with EA don't seem to care one bit about quality, they've posted enough on social media for me to know the trash they embrace as individuals and as a team.

Unfortunately that model doesn't always seem to work though. Treyarch made Black Ops 4 in 2018 and then they were supposed to get a couple years to develop their next vision. Infinity Ward made Modern Warfare for 2019 and then Sledgehammer/Raven Software were going to be next in line for 2020. Something happened along the way, and the 2020 year got thrown back on Treyarch to take over the project, and here we are with the Cold War beta out this weekend coupled with plenty of criticism on how it is performing thus far. I'm not necessarily blaming Treyarch but I can pin a lot of criticism and blame on Activision.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I hate EA.

I used to love Fifa but they ruined that game.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Far Cry 5 is tight..give it a little time. I sunk countless hours into that game/second fave after part 3.

Played the heck out of this all weekend and finally beat it last night. Great game. Not sure how I feel about the ending, but overall was super fun to play. I do see there is a Far Cry 5 New Dawn that is a direct sequel to 5, so maybe that expands on the ending of 5. May have to look into it.