The Walking Dead-Season 9, Episodes 1-8

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was expecting a "let-down" episode because episode 3 was good and episode 5 should be very good... But it surprised me by being another good episode.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I was expecting a "let-down" episode because episode 3 was good and episode 5 should be very good... But it surprised me by being another good episode.
It is the Gimple factor. He could not tell a story without drawing it out. Now they are moving multiple plot lines along...who knew that 10-15 minutes of good writing and acting can actually allow you to have three or four different plots in the same episode.
The last few years it was, "Oh, this is a (fill in lone cast member) episode

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is the Gimple factor. He could not tell a story without drawing it out. Now they are moving multiple plot lines along...who knew that 10-15 minutes of good writing and acting can actually allow you to have three or four different plots in the same episode.
The last few years it was, "Oh, this is a (fill in lone cast member) episode

Agreed.

I enjoyed a couple of the "bottle" episodes after the collapse of the prison and moving towards Terminus but having Negan & the Savior arc run two full seasons plus... was ridiculous and drove a lot of viewers from the show.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed.

I enjoyed a couple of the "bottle" episodes after the collapse of the prison and moving towards Terminus but having Negan & the Savior arc run two full seasons plus... was ridiculous and drove a lot of viewers from the show.

I totally agree. And I think the powers-that-be did as well. And that's why he was "promoted" to a different position. It's just too bad that they let these show runners make epic and irreparably bad decisions (killing Andrea and then Carl) before they're removed.

But as of today, I very much enjoy the pace and multiple plot lines happening at the same time. Still some obvious plot contrivances thrown in (bridge, Saviors caricatures, etc), but there's also a lot of interesting things happening with more on the horizon.

But following up from Rick's departure is going to be really, really tough.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree. And I think the powers-that-be did as well. And that's why he was "promoted" to a different position. It's just too bad that they let these show runners make epic and irreparably bad decisions (killing Andrea and then Carl) before they're removed.

But as of today, I very much enjoy the pace and multiple plot lines happening at the same time. Still some obvious plot contrivances thrown in (bridge, Saviors caricatures, etc), but there's also a lot of interesting things happening with more on the horizon.

But following up from Rick's departure is going to be really, really tough.

Yeah, the then showrunner Glenn Mazzara really botched the Andrea character. First he had the character make so many questionable decisions that much of the fan base despised her. Then she was killed off well before she met her maker in the comic book.

The Carl death... Other than a brief rating spike, I don't know what positive thing was accomplished.

The ratings over the back half of this season should be very interesting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, the then showrunner Glenn Mazzara really botched the Andrea character. First he had the character make so many questionable decisions that much of the fan base despised her. Then she was killed off well before she met her maker in the comic book.

The Carl death... Other than a brief rating spike, I don't know what positive thing was accomplished.

The ratings over the back half of this season should be very interesting.

I consider it a make or break season with all of these changes happening. Given all of these changes and character exodus, this has the potential to go very badly.

They need a big story hook to keep fans interested and invested.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I consider it a make or break season with all of these changes happening. Given all of these changes and character exodus, this has the potential to go very badly.

They need a big story hook to keep fans interested and invested.

Well the Whisperer arc will be starting soon. The have brought on some interesting character actors to flesh out the last half of the season (February on). I'm hoping they pump some new life into the show.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the Whisperer arc will be starting soon. The have brought on some interesting character actors to flesh out the last half of the season (February on). I'm hoping they pump some new life into the show.

That's what I'm expecting them to start up as soon as the Rick storyline is over. They'll need something big.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The early word is this episode is a real barn-burner with lots of "Wow".

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Loved the episode. Don’t know if I will enjoy the teenage/kid The Walking Dead crew in the time jump.