The worst day in Cowboys history

kskboys

Reaction score
Another reason I was so happy Landry and the old regime were gone was the drafts had gotten real bad. The Cowboys had 4 first round picks under Landry go bust in the 80s, Rod Hill, Billy Cannon, Kevin Brooks and Danny Noonan. The bad drafts and Landry’s stuck In the past coaching philosophy led to the floor caving in. I had enough of Landry, Schramm and Gil Brandt. It was time for a big change.
We were drafting well when we were using computers and no one else was.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Worse DAYS in Dallas Cowboys History:
January 1st, 1967
December 31st, 1967
January 17th, 1971
January 18th, 1976
January 21st, 1979

Was around to see them all.
Lost 5 more NFL Titles in the last minute(s) of the 4th quarter in every one of those championship games.
Well said.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s been many heartbreaking days or moments in Cowboys history . Many have been mentioned here.

But none changed our course in history and has forever tainted the respectability this once proud franchise was built on and known for .

No honeymoon is worth a lifetime of misery.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Like I said. It hasn’t been worth it. Who knows, we could have had much more.

I can’t imagine anyone knowing what we know now would want what we’ve had and will probably continue to have.

And winning those Super Bowls isn’t worth selling our souls out for this arsehole.

Three championships and the team of the 90s and you want to give all that up for a roll of the dice with another owner? Had Jerry Buss bought the team the Cowboys might have ended up the Los Angeles Cowboys. lol Had another owner ended up with the team there would’ve been no Jimmy Johnson as head coach. The Cowboys might not have drafted Aikman. There would’ve been no Herschel Walker trade or Emmitt Smith. What the Cowboys had in the 90s may have been short lived but it was very special and very few teams in NFL history have ever had that kind of success. Jerry and Jimmy built a dynasty that dominated a decade. In 29 years under Tom Landry and Tex Schramm the Cowboys never had that kind of dominance.

When everyone looks back to the 70s they think of the Steelers and Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth and the Steel Curtain but when everyone looks back to the 90s they think of the Cowboys and the Triplets and the Great Wall of Dallas. I’m incredibly thankful that I got to enjoy those years. No way in hell would any fan in their right mind forfeit those years for a roll of the dice with another owner in hopes they can better that success. Only New England was able to do it. You’ve obviously taken these last 26 years a lot harder than most fans. If it was up to you the Cowboys would still be stuck with two Super Bowl wins from the 70s.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Three championships and the team of the 90s and you want to give all that up for a roll of the dice with another owner? Had Jerry Buss bought the team the Cowboys might have ended up the Los Angeles Cowboys. lol Had another owner ended up with the team there would’ve been no Jimmy Johnson as head coach. The Cowboys might not have drafted Aikman. There would’ve been no Herschel Walker trade or Emmitt Smith. What the Cowboys had in the 90s may have been short lived but it was very special and very few teams in NFL history have ever had that kind of success. Jerry and Jimmy built a dynasty that dominated a decade. In 29 years under Tom Landry and Tex Schramm the Cowboys never had that kind of dominance.

When everyone looks back to the 70s they think of the Steelers and Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth and the Steel Curtain but when everyone looks back to the 90s they think of the Cowboys and the Triplets and the Great Wall of Dallas. I’m incredibly thankful that I got to enjoy those years. No way in hell would any fan in their right mind forfeit those years for a roll of the dice with another owner in hopes they can better that success. Only New England was able to do it. You’ve obviously taken these last 26 years a lot harder than most fans. If it was up to you the Cowboys would still be stuck with two Super Bowl wins from the 70s.
If Jerry’s gone he doesn’t care.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The end of the Landry era was the pits

It was elation for me. The franchise had become stale and needed to go in a different direction, starting with a new HC. I was ready to move on from Landry after the three straight title game losses.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There’s been many heartbreaking days or moments in Cowboys history . Many have been mentioned here.

But none changed our course in history and has forever tainted the respectability this once proud franchise was built on and known for .

No honeymoon is worth a lifetime of misery.

You need to take a break from this board for a while. You sound like a completely broken fan. :laugh:

ESisback

Reaction score
It was elation for me. The franchise had become stale and needed to go in a different direction, starting with a new HC. I was ready to move on from Landry after the three straight title game losses.
I agree that it was time for a change, but I still loved Tom Landry. A legend.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I agree that it was time for a change, but I still loved Tom Landry. A legend.

I had a ton of respect for Tom Landry but the game had passed him and the rest of the regime by. What worked in the 60s and 70s stopped working by the mid 80s.

stowle07

Reaction score
aQraYNL.jpg

Feb 25th 1989 I still so vividly recall watching on WFAA local Channel 8. The day everything changed in Cowboys history.

“In the last three decades the Cowboys have returned to the top of the National Football League as the shiniest star of the bunch for marketing purposes. Early on in Jerry’s ownership, they also returned to the top of the league from a competition standpoint as they won three Super Bowls in the first seven years, but ever since then things have been tough sledding.

There is no denying the financial impact that Jerry Jones has had on the Dallas Cowboys, surrounding DFW areas, and even the NFL as a whole. He is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame as an owner. His work on issues outside of the field helped him get there, like the influence he had in returning the league to Los Angeles where the hometown Rams just won the Super Bowl. The Rams played that game in the very palace that was built for them, one that was no doubt inspired by Jerry’s luxurious AT&T Stadium.

All of that is great and notable and makes for interesting books and documentaries. Unfortunately, the thing that matters to most fans is the success of the team on the field, and everything else has started to become frustrating as the team hasn’t appeared in a conference championship game in 26 years.

Think about that. The first seven years with Jerry at the helm as owner, general manager, and president were tons of success. But in the 26 years since, 79% of Jerry’s ownership, have been frustration, drama, and some success, but more of the first two.“

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ry-jones-bought-the-dallas-cowboys/ar-AAUjX48

That's the day I was born

basel90

Reaction score
I always wondered why no dallas /area texas native bought the cowboys instead of Jerry . I mean there are plenty of billionaires in the area . How could the bidding be so limited to Jerry ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I always wondered why no dallas /area texas native bought the cowboys instead of Jerry . I mean there are plenty of billionaires in the area . How could the bidding be so limited to Jerry ?
It wasn’t . Local owner of the Dallas Mavericks Donald Carter bid on the Cowboys . As did Dr Jerry Buss the flamboyant owner of the LA Lakers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You need to take a break from this board for a while. You sound like a completely broken fan. :laugh:
It’s no doubt been the most frustrating time in all of my sports fan life . I’ve learned to lower my expectations and became an apathetic fan.

The good news is my Alma Mater which was a dormant school for most of my life has become more of a contender even winning their first national championship in a major sport last year . So my fandom has come full circle with my favorite professional team becoming more dormant .

Losing doesn’t bother me as much as the disrespect and dysfunction one person has caused because of his egotistical selfish ways. Any franchise can lose even with great leadership but what our beloved Cowboys have become is my most embarrassing sports conundrum. I just hope I out live the SOB.

But as long as there are Jethro sympathizers which these forums is main place I’ve found them , there is work to be done and seeds to be planted.

When I first came on these forums about 15 years ago I never expected opposition to speaking out against our owner as I have full support with all of my Cowboy fans here. I’m still not quite sure what to make of it. There’s either not all Cowboy fans here or they don’t appreciate or fully understand my intent . Just not sure. Perhaps it’s just the internet or anonymous nature we have here. I have to believe if they could see and have lived my life with the Cowboys they’d better understand and or appreciate my position.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
I had a ton of respect for Tom Landry but the game had passed him and the rest of the regime by. What worked in the 60s and 70s stopped working by the mid 80s.
Exactly why I said time for a change.